The definitive new manager speculation thread

Regardless of whether Brentford was pumping in money or not, he has been a massive success.

So using that as an example, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t recruit someone with no Championship experience, possibly from the continent 🤷‍♂️
I take your point but that would be a massive gamble at this point in the season remember he has to hit the ground running if not this season will be a written off by xmas
The new man does not have the time to bed in

It does not strike me that the collective squad of current players are equipped to play the desired passing game and it would take a massive overhaul of the squad to produce such a fashion.

Ex players taking control reminds me of the Geordies always demanding an ex-Newcastle player as manager for decades that led to constant misery.

Just appoint the best candidate who can work with the current playing staff and maybe change the format over the next couple of seasons.

Swansea is a passing side and it hasn't done them much good.

Not sure of the cost but someone like Graham Potter would be perfect and I truly believe would take us to the next level. He has managed at a lower level before and isn't one of these managers that craves lime light so would fit in well.

Graham Potter
Graham Potter’s stock has fallen slightly after his disastrous spell at Stamford Bridge that saw him record the lowest win rate of any permanent manager in the club’s history (39%), but his spells at Östersunds FK, Swansea and Brighton should not be forgotten. Known for his innovation, methodical approach and man-management skills, Potter first came to the attention of the world after leading Swedish side Östersunds FK to the top flight for the first time in their history in 2015, before guiding them to an eighth place finish in their first campaign.
After beating Arsenal in the Europa League with the Swedish minnows, Potter returned to the UK for a spell at Championship side Swansea before replacing Chris Hughton at the Amex. After two seasons fighting off relegation, he led them to their best-ever Premier League finish in 2021/22, ending the season in ninth, before leaving for what he thought was his big break at Stamford Bridge, but it was not to be.

All this ‘knowing the club’ stuff, what does it mean anyway? I would rather a manager who is switched on knows the other clubs in the championship. How they set up, their preferred style of play, how their manager reacts to different situations and so on. How much is Muscat going to know about that?

Another thing is that in modern football a change of manager isn’t just one bloke, it normally means a whole raft of back room staff as well. Has Muscat got the back up with coaches, who will they be and how capable are they? Can he work with the existing fitness staff, sports scientists, recruitment department and so on.

The championship is probably the most demanding competitive league in the world and any weaknesses are quickly exposed and taken advantage of. There are clubs with managers and players that could easily be plying their trade in the premier league, we need a manager who can match that tactical nous and knowledge and I’m not sure Muscat has got that. The fact is that he hasn’t come near getting a job in any English division must mean something and if he never played for the club however many years ago he wouldn’t be even on the radar.
I don't know Ilderton, I suppose different people will have different requirements for the answer. I was just merely pointing out that knowing the club Is something that very few managers out there would be able to write that on their c.v, so him being away from the club for 20 years, at worst, puts him at the same disadvantage as every other candidate.

As for your other points I agree with the logic 100% but as I know fuck all about his managerial career, abilities and Intentions, or those of all the other managers being lined up, I can't advocate or condone him or others getting the job.

To be honest, I don't really care who we get In as long as they're suitable. As I said I know nothing about any of them so I really can't get worked up or excited at this point as there Is no knowledge to stimulate those reactions. For the moment I am wholeheartedly Indifferent. I just want a manager that won't get us relegated and who will also not suck the life out of The Den and make going down there every other Saturday to watch a chore. The only conditions where I draw the line are that they are not ex West Ham, a woman, or some woke cunt.

I don’t know who it’s going to be, but I bet it’s going to be announced within a very short period of time. My guess is James was not happy with the lack of progress and made plans for the change. If it happens quickly, It will be evidence of his intention to move us forward an upward.
You don’t make split decisions like that overnight as an owner without a contingency plan in place. Rowett being tapped up by another club and walking is more likely the real scenario.

You're not wrong, I was going to pop into the Haters for a light ale and to find out views on Colin Wanker's joining, saw the queue and thought I'd swerve it until someone said nah mate, this is the BP is a cunt queue. Now sitting in the haters on my own waiting for a scotch egg and a few regulars.
A "scotch egg"? Sounds like another vote for Callum Davidson to me :yes:

You don’t make split decisions like that overnight as an owner without a contingency plan in place. Rowett being tapped up by another club and walking is more likely the real scenario.
Club and Rowett have both explained what happened, not in fine detail but enough to put an end to conspiracy theories, it's logical, understandable and what they have said is the only proof we have of anything that went on.

Having given this some serious thought tonight, I’ve decided that I want Ryan Mason. Don’t know why, gut feel. Worked at the highest level and conducts hisself impeccably. He also seems to take his responsibilities very seriously and had a short spell at the den that he would’ve seen what were about. Ryan Mason for me. Young up and coming manager, which we may be able to get on at the right time.
Do you think he will want to play the way we need to play and ditch what he has learnt at spurs?
We can't suddenly use tactics that need premiership quality players to do so.
Anyone that doesn't know the Championship gives us a higher risk of it going wrong.

I've looked up a fair bit about Muscat when he was touted for Rangers.

I personally would like someone who plays fast, attacking football rather than the plod plod hoof that we are used to. Going to the merry go round of former Championship managers such as Wilder, Beale, Cotterill, Nathan Jones, Warnock - They may have been successful once (so was Holloway) but they're out of work for a reason.

Muscat may not work out, he may not want to come, any appointment carries some element of risk. The fact he was an absolute thug as a player, is neither here nor there to me.
Plymouth are playing fast, attacking football and seem to be getting plenty of praise for doing so but would most of our fans who keep moaning that we don't play that way, be happy to have 11 points from 11 games and lose 2-0 at home to the most boring, clueless team in the division?

Plymouth are playing fast, attacking football and seem to be getting plenty of praise for doing so but would most of our fans who keep moaning that we don't play that way, be happy to have 11 points from 11 games and lose 2-0 at home to the most boring, clueless team in the division?
He’s ruled himself out anyway, he’s a scouser.