The definitive new manager speculation thread

But does he know the club? He might know how to get there and that some of us like a punch up but does he have a good knowledge of the actual squad? Their strengths and weaknesses, who he can trust, how certain players fit a certain system or anything about the youth academy? I’m not so sure personally. Let’s be honest most fans only want him because they think he’ll chin an oppo manager in the dug out.

Massive gamble in my opinion.

He will if he applies for it, as he will study. How many other potential managers will know the squad, strengths & weaknesses? No one. No one will know fully until they are inside and training day to day.
Muscat the manager seems a different beast to Muscat the player

Not much mention of Callum Davidson? He came with Rowett having done ok as Rowett's lieutenant at Stoke, and under that pair, IMO we saw some of the most attractive entertaining football for a number of years. He was taken by St Johnstone where he had initial success winning both Scottish cup competitions. Coincidentally our Lions turned more defensive minded and went off that early boil. Ok, so Davidson's results went downhill after those cup successes north of the border but he managed to maintain their Premier status.
A manager can only work within the budgets he is given but it is notable, having been sacked by St Johnstone last April, his replacement has only succeeded in gaining four draws and three goals from eight matches this season, to leave them cast adrift at the foot of the table.
I’m with you mate 👍

Having given this some serious thought tonight, I’ve decided that I want Ryan Mason. Don’t know why, gut feel. Worked at the highest level and conducts hisself impeccably. He also seems to take his responsibilities very seriously and had a short spell at the den that he would’ve seen what were about. Ryan Mason for me. Young up and coming manager, which we may be able to get on at the right time.

Muscat the manager seems a different beast to Muscat the player
The only job he took in a competitive league saw him sacked after 6 month. Two wins in fifteen games in the Belgian league. The Aussie league where he did alright is like the scottish lower divisions. Teams getting beat by 7 and 8 goals a game.

What do you mean when you say he seems a diiferent beast to the player? H e ain't fracturing the opposing manager leg? Not breaking the assistant managers jaw?

I think fans would be very jittery and not to pleased if we hired some unknown manager from league 1 in England but people are touting Muscat who's won a few trophies in a country where football is ranked fifth in there list of national sports.

I 'll say it again. I just don't get it. I've asked several people that want Muscat why they want him but i've not had one convincing or logical answer. There can only be one answer in my opinion because if he wasn't a thug that played for Millwall 17 year ago and has a bit of cult status because he done people from behind and broke peoples jaws. There's got to be 50 odd managers in this country down the lower leagues that will have the same credentials as Muscat and at about the same level.

The only job he took in a competitive league saw him sacked after 6 month. Two wins in fifteen games in the Belgian league. The Aussie league where he did alright is like the scottish lower divisions. Teams getting beat by 7 and 8 goals a game.

What do you mean when you say he seems a diiferent beast to the player? H e ain't fracturing the opposing manager leg? Not breaking the assistant managers jaw?

I think fans would be very jittery and not to pleased if we hired some unknown manager from league 1 in England but people are touting Muscat who's won a few trophies in a country where football is ranked fifth in there list of national sports.

I 'll say it again. I just don't get it. I've asked several people that want Muscat why they want him but i've not had one convincing or logical answer. There can only be one answer in my opinion because if he wasn't a thug that played for Millwall 17 year ago and has a bit of cult status because he done people from behind and broke peoples jaws. There's got to be 50 odd managers in this country down the lower leagues that will have the same credentials as Muscat and at about the same level.
I've looked up a fair bit about Muscat when he was touted for Rangers.

I personally would like someone who plays fast, attacking football rather than the plod plod hoof that we are used to. Going to the merry go round of former Championship managers such as Wilder, Beale, Cotterill, Nathan Jones, Warnock - They may have been successful once (so was Holloway) but they're out of work for a reason.

Muscat may not work out, he may not want to come, any appointment carries some element of risk. The fact he was an absolute thug as a player, is neither here nor there to me.

Emma Hayes! Unfuckingbelievable!!!!
Bookies list only exists to make them money not to serve as who will be interviewed for the job, I'm not sure who bets on this type of thing without any inside knowledge of who is getting the job but her name is probably there to tempt a few female football fans into handing over their money.

I personally would like someone who plays fast, attacking football
Lots of clubs would. You also need the players.
The fact he was an absolute thug as a player, is neither here nor there to me.
It is to me and thuggery aside it's how he broke chhekbone and legs in three places. From behind. Cracked jaws using sly moves. It's what's in his brain and that;s what i din;t like.

Again i thinkhe may well play fast attacking football in a league where teams are concede five and more a game. What evidence is there that he can do that here?

And again why him? Is he the only manager that plays fast attacking football? And why is that the first chance he got to play in a tough decent league he was sacked cause he won 2 games in 6 months? Was he playing fast attacking football where he failed abysmally?

The only reason some of us want him is because he played fifty odd games for us. That to me does not qualify you to get a job,

I agree with you that It would be a gamble and that there Is a certain rose tintedness about him managing us.

But with regards to him knowing the club that's not an Issue surely. Let's be fair no manager who'd come In would do. After all there's only two In the whole of football who could probably meet that specification. Harris and Morrison. And nethier are up to the job unfortunately.

All this ‘knowing the club’ stuff, what does it mean anyway? I would rather a manager who is switched on knows the other clubs in the championship. How they set up, their preferred style of play, how their manager reacts to different situations and so on. How much is Muscat going to know about that?

Another thing is that in modern football a change of manager isn’t just one bloke, it normally means a whole raft of back room staff as well. Has Muscat got the back up with coaches, who will they be and how capable are they? Can he work with the existing fitness staff, sports scientists, recruitment department and so on.

The championship is probably the most demanding competitive league in the world and any weaknesses are quickly exposed and taken advantage of. There are clubs with managers and players that could easily be plying their trade in the premier league, we need a manager who can match that tactical nous and knowledge and I’m not sure Muscat has got that. The fact is that he hasn’t come near getting a job in any English division must mean something and if he never played for the club however many years ago he wouldn’t be even on the radar.

Brentford were pumping money in at the time so he was able to buy what was needed don't see that happening with us some how do you
Regardless of whether Brentford was pumping in money or not, he has been a massive success.

So using that as an example, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t recruit someone with no Championship experience, possibly from the continent 🤷‍♂️