The definitive new manager speculation thread

Now we’ve got the manager we’ve got a very important role to play.

We all want our style of football to change and Edwards has a very difficult task deciding how, and at what pace, to introduce change. If he tries to implement change too quickly there’ll be many mistakes that could/will cost us games. If he takes a slow approach to change, our, often, unforgiving crowd could get on the team’s back.

So a testing period for manager and team and our fans must be patient and fully support them, even when things go wrong!
As long as we learn from our mistakes!

Good. Hopefully this appointment will steady the ship, and inject some new found confidence into the squad.
Whatever his style or ideas, it's not going to be an easy task to change some of the lads playing the way they've been instructed to for a few years.
Either way, time to get 100% behind the manager and players, as their struggle is also our struggle.

If we don’t, I imagine it’ll be like the last 4 years when, I’m not convinced, GR learnt from his mistakes
I always hoped GR would learn but returning to the failed 3 centre backs and wingbacks with our personnel again this season showed he hadn’t. I thought he was a decent bloke who brought in some very good players, got us high up the table but we were just overly defensive and although in safe hands it was pretty boring. This season will now really be a test of the “be careful what you wish for” comments that echoed around this forum. GR’s comments on Sky Sports about his replacement as it broke today were class.

Taken from X from @HCfootball01 who is a scout.

Who is Joe Edwards, and what should Millwall fans expect?

Joe Edwards is a young manager who is currently the caretaker manager of the England U20s.

A lot of his club work has come as an assistant to Frank Lampard at Chelsea and Everton, and even Thomas Tuchel.

The first thing to mention is that I imagine he’s built relationships with some top players, which could benefit Millwall in the transfer window; however, let’s look at his background.

I decided to go back to his longest spell as a manager and his only real stint you can look into, and that’s Chelsea U23, which he managed for just shy of two years.

You may wonder how new he is to management in general with him being so new, but he actually took to management at the age of 17 after being released by Chelsea as a footballer. He’s got 20 years of experience, and listening to his interviews, he speaks so well.

In 2015/16, he managed Chelsea U18. At this point, he was still in his 20s, and back in his youth, he won the Youth FA Cup two years in a row, which is a great achievement.

During managing the Chelsea U23s, he took them to the semi-final of the EFL Trophy, the furthest any PL2 side has ever gotten to. He admitted that he would rough his boys up to get them ready for a physical battle.

He’s mentioned this before, and I watched this back in his games, and it stands out. The intensity he demands is non-negotiable, and it’s clear to see how much energy his teams play with.

When Tuchel replaced Lampard, Edwards stayed for the season and actually won the Champions League with Tuchel.

Reading an interview he had with the Premier League, it’s really impressive to see how he was heavily involved in the progression and integration of Mason Mount, Reece James, Tammy Abraham, and Fikayo Tomori.

His background is really interesting, and the fact that he’s had 20+ years In the management side of the game, despite only being 37, he’s been assistant manager, manager, and at one point was even a loan manager at Chelsea, looking after all the youth going out on loan.

In terms of play styles and how he would set up, it’s difficult to say because, during the time he was a manager for a long period of time, he was back with the Chelsea U23s. Things will no doubt have changed, but let’s look into them.

The game I’ve looked back on is Chelsea U23 vs. Plymouth in 2018, which finished 5-0 for Chelsea.

Out of possession really caught my eye; it was very compact and really hard to play through, and the opposition resorted to long balls, which also benefited Chelsea.

In possession, the three midfielders at the time were Gallagher, Gilmour, and McEachran, all three comfortable ball players. He likes one to sit deep and the two 8s to have plenty of energy, i.e., late runs into the box, cause problems on the ball, and be creative.

As I mentioned, this was five years ago, and I’m sure he's learned a lot since working under Lampard and Tuchel, and he’s changed a lot in senior football, as he admitted himself.

However, I think the system he used then will be used with Millwall bar a couple of tweaks, as I think he will place a lot of emphasis on attacking quality.

’m rooting for Edwards and spent some time not only watching highlights but also full games. I caught the recent England U20 against Portugal, and it was a tough game, but the intensity always remained.

It will be interesting to see how he takes the job, with him being the main man at a massive club like Millwall. I personally believe he will do great.

I always hoped GR would learn but returning to the failed 3 centre backs and wingbacks with our personnel again this season showed he hadn’t. I thought he was a decent bloke who brought in some very good players, got us high up the table but we were just overly defensive and although in safe hands it was pretty boring. This season will now really be a test of the “be careful what you wish for” comments that echoed around this forum. GR’s comments on Sky Sports about his replacement as it broke today were class.
Link or a summary of what he said?

I've had a look and couldn't find anything but it doesn't surprise me. Rowett is a class act and I wish him all the best. He did a terrific job for us and probably ran out of steam towards the end. I hope he is given a great reception whenever he comes back.
Agree Robbo 👍

Link or a summary of what he said?
I have not got a link sorry, I think it was Sky Sports News and he was commentating on a game. When the news broke they immediately turned to him for his thoughts which I thought was a tad brutal but he was there so they had too I guess. He clearly knew Edwards and spoke very highly of him and spoke about Millwall taking a different approach with the appointment and that he would have total support from the fans, staff, players, SK and James Berylson. It was a very classy response.

I have not got a link sorry, I think it was Sky Sports News and he was commentating on a game. When the news broke they immediately turned to him for his thoughts which I thought was a tad brutal but he was there so they had too I guess. He clearly knew Edwards and spoke very highly of him and spoke about Millwall taking a different approach with the appointment and that he would have total support from the fans, staff, players, SK and James Berylson. It was a very classy response.
Cheers mate. 👍

Taken from X from @HCfootball01 who is a scout.

Who is Joe Edwards, and what should Millwall fans expect?

Joe Edwards is a young manager who is currently the caretaker manager of the England U20s.

A lot of his club work has come as an assistant to Frank Lampard at Chelsea and Everton, and even Thomas Tuchel.

The first thing to mention is that I imagine he’s built relationships with some top players, which could benefit Millwall in the transfer window; however, let’s look at his background.

I decided to go back to his longest spell as a manager and his only real stint you can look into, and that’s Chelsea U23, which he managed for just shy of two years.

You may wonder how new he is to management in general with him being so new, but he actually took to management at the age of 17 after being released by Chelsea as a footballer. He’s got 20 years of experience, and listening to his interviews, he speaks so well.

In 2015/16, he managed Chelsea U18. At this point, he was still in his 20s, and back in his youth, he won the Youth FA Cup two years in a row, which is a great achievement.

During managing the Chelsea U23s, he took them to the semi-final of the EFL Trophy, the furthest any PL2 side has ever gotten to. He admitted that he would rough his boys up to get them ready for a physical battle.

He’s mentioned this before, and I watched this back in his games, and it stands out. The intensity he demands is non-negotiable, and it’s clear to see how much energy his teams play with.

When Tuchel replaced Lampard, Edwards stayed for the season and actually won the Champions League with Tuchel.

Reading an interview he had with the Premier League, it’s really impressive to see how he was heavily involved in the progression and integration of Mason Mount, Reece James, Tammy Abraham, and Fikayo Tomori.

His background is really interesting, and the fact that he’s had 20+ years In the management side of the game, despite only being 37, he’s been assistant manager, manager, and at one point was even a loan manager at Chelsea, looking after all the youth going out on loan.

In terms of play styles and how he would set up, it’s difficult to say because, during the time he was a manager for a long period of time, he was back with the Chelsea U23s. Things will no doubt have changed, but let’s look into them.

The game I’ve looked back on is Chelsea U23 vs. Plymouth in 2018, which finished 5-0 for Chelsea.

Out of possession really caught my eye; it was very compact and really hard to play through, and the opposition resorted to long balls, which also benefited Chelsea.

In possession, the three midfielders at the time were Gallagher, Gilmour, and McEachran, all three comfortable ball players. He likes one to sit deep and the two 8s to have plenty of energy, i.e., late runs into the box, cause problems on the ball, and be creative.

As I mentioned, this was five years ago, and I’m sure he's learned a lot since working under Lampard and Tuchel, and he’s changed a lot in senior football, as he admitted himself.

However, I think the system he used then will be used with Millwall bar a couple of tweaks, as I think he will place a lot of emphasis on attacking quality.

’m rooting for Edwards and spent some time not only watching highlights but also full games. I caught the recent England U20 against Portugal, and it was a tough game, but the intensity always remained.

It will be interesting to see how he takes the job, with him being the main man at a massive club like Millwall. I personally believe he will do great.
On the bright side a new manager always invigorates a side, plus we have numerous star players returning from injury fir him to create a full strength side in all departments i.e. Watmore , Leonard, Nisbet, Hutchinson, Bryan plus the young kids whom I’m sure he’ll blood on a regular basis. His style is possession based but with intensity, aggression and lots of energy to press. Definitely not just a new but different direction to Rowett.

On the bright side a new manager always invigorates a side, plus we have numerous star players returning from injury fir him to create a full strength side in all departments i.e. Watmore , Leonard, Nisbet, Hutchinson, Bryan plus the young kids whom I’m sure he’ll blood on a regular basis. His style is possession based but with intensity, aggression and lots of energy to press. Definitely not just a new but different direction to Rowett.
We can't ask for more than that.

It seems someone does like us.