The definitive new manager speculation thread

Spot on. That's what frustrates me. If we had really gone at them then the crowd responds and although they had good players, we don't know how they'd have reacted mentally. Plenty of good players have played at this ground and the old ground and their arseholes went when the Den was rocking and the heat turned up.
It’s what made us what we are. Now we’re 3 points in the bag. It’s a fkin disgrace and needs sorting now.

A gamble for sure, there were safer options but they must have seen something in him. He is young, he is raw and he will make mistakes, but we have to back him and give him a chance.
It sounds like we’re gambling on an un experienced championship manager, but a very good young coach.

Why not try something totally different?

We need to make sure he’s got a good team behind him, because if it’s true he’ll need some help.

Would you prefer we were relegated so we could be promoted again in a couple of seasons, have a good first season then struggle before being relegated, like we have been doing this century up until Harris and Rowett made us an established Championship side?
There really ain't no shame in being mid table in the Championship, home form does need to improve but in modern day football where greed is god and debt is to be ignored, we have a lot to be grateful for if you want to look for it.
Post of the week

It sounds like we’re gambling on an un experienced championship manager, but a very good young coach.

We need to make sure he’s got a good team behind him, because if it’s true he’ll need some help.
Agreed although Eustace would have been my choice. It's a gamble whoever we appoint.

Pessimist that I am - and I hope that I am wrong - I see shades of Lomas here but for different reasons: Lomas was unable to make the step up and work with better players in a more competitive league. Edwards will have to adjust to working with seasoned pros, who are less technically gifted players than he is used to working with. Could all go pear-shaped. Imo he will definitely will need an experienced #2.

Whoever it is I hope that he is given time before we start to get on his back.

Rumour that Beale and Jones both rejected the job over finances, so Edwards was last man standing. Do hope this is wrong!
Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Maybe there’s going to be less money under James than John and that’s why Rowett walked/mutual???

I don’t think it’s been suggested but could be?

Last edited:
Rumour that Beale and Jones both rejected the job over finances, so Edwards was last man standing. Do hope this is wrong!
Would make sense. I was told by a very good source that Jones was basically done and dusted all bar the dough being agreed.

Just guessing, but that might be what GR meant when he said we might be trying something different (and he knew Edwards was in the frame from the start).

Just guessing, but that might be what GR meant when he said we might be trying something different (and he knew Edwards was in the frame from the start).
I've been of the opinion that the coaching route is the way the club was planning to go , ever since I read this comment from Rowett.
It's been evident to me for two years or so that we just lack patterns of play in possession of the ball. The coaching seems to of been about shape and organisation, which is of course fundamental but more is needed. Maybe the hierarchy have realised that too.
If, as I've heard they have been tracking Edwards for sometime this could be the new appointment, however it comes with a huge risk....our Championship status. I suspect if negotiations with other candidates have stalled it is more to do with back room staff, as I expect AB to stay.

I've been of the opinion that the coaching route is the way the club was planning to go , ever since I read this comment from Rowett.
It's been evident to me for two years or so that we just lack patterns of play in possession of the ball. The coaching seems to of been about shape and organisation, which is of course fundamental but more is needed. Maybe the hierarchy have realised that too.
If, as I've heard they have been tracking Edwards for sometime this could be the new appointment, however it comes with a huge risk....our Championship status. I suspect if negotiations with other candidates have stalled it is more to do with back room staff, as I expect AB to stay.
This makes a lot of sense, AB was constantly shouting instructions about shape yesterday and for me is part of the problem, we are too rigid which makes us very predictable and for that reason we need a complete change in the dressing room, AB's ideas are old hat and need to be binned if we are to compete in this division.

Hopefully He will bring hes own backroom staff in as it's pretty obvious the coaching has bee part of any problems.
Just don't bring fat Frank in as his number 2 :eek!:

Don't see the point of shelling out for a new manager, wanting to go in a different direction then keeping a big part of the old guard!!

Hopefully He will bring hes own backroom staff in as it's pretty obvious the coaching has bee part of any problems.
Just don't bring fat Frank in as his number 2 :eek!:
Although probably not a popular opinion, but would love it if he brought in Ashley Cole as his number 2, he has worked with him before and with having been! one of the best full backs in the game, would certainly improve Danny Mac, when you look at most successful teams, their attacks start with their full backs, something we rarely do these days, that would certainly change with someone like Ashley Cole around!

Edwards is a gamble but so was McKenna at Ipswich. Either Beale or Jones were more of a safe bet as both have managed clubs in the Championship and so their experience would have been valuable. It was poor customer relations for Jones to insist there should be a release clause in his contract, if that was the sticking point. It almost seems that he is saying that I’ll manage you but if somebody comes in with a better deal and offers more money and is prepared to pay my release clause then ill leave you and go and manage them. Kavanah was right to say that is not how we work here and we would not agree to such a clause.
Interesting to read on another post that JB was at yesterdays game so he was clearly able to see that the manager’s position needs to be changed quickly to avoid losing the support of the crowd. And that the appointment of a new man had either been concluded or will be concluded sooner rather than later.
Kavanah is an experienced administrator and I would not expect him to take a risky gamble on a new man and destroy all that GR brought to the club over the past four years. The next few days could be pivotal to our future!

Edwards is a gamble but so was McKenna at Ipswich. Either Beale or Jones were more of a safe bet as both have managed clubs in the Championship and so their experience would have been valuable. It was poor customer relations for Jones to insist there should be a release clause in his contract, if that was the sticking point. It almost seems that he is saying that I’ll manage you but if somebody comes in with a better deal and offers more money and is prepared to pay my release clause then ill leave you and go and manage them. Kavanah was right to say that is not how we work here and we would not agree to such a clause.
Interesting to read on another post that JB was at yesterdays game so he was clearly able to see that the manager’s position needs to be changed quickly to avoid losing the support of the crowd. And that the appointment of a new man had either been concluded or will be concluded sooner rather than later.
Kavanah is an experienced administrator and I would not expect him to take a risky gamble on a new man and destroy all that GR brought to the club over the past four years. The next few days could be pivotal to our future!
No way will AB get it. He’s had his chance and not delivered. :wagging:

Who ever we get they are a gamble, footballs completely diffrent nowadays no matter what or much we or certainly me personally hate this tippy tappy stuff,chasing non stop like we do over a long season is unsustainable the grizzle city,yesterday injury time goals for example we have to change unfortunately

Staff online

Members online