Joe Edwards - The new gaffer

If you don’t have Millwall TV
A good insight into the new manager this. As you would expect saying all the right things, but certainly not promising sweeping changes straight away.
First impressions are that I am excited at this appointment but not expecting miracles, a brave move by the club and him. As first manager/ head coach jobs go ours is not an easy one , he could easily have bottled out.
Hope he gets the time he needs to change things before the divs get on his back if things don’t go right straight away.
We must believe we might have a good one here and back him big time right from the start.
I have tickets for Hillsboro and can’t wait.
COYL

A good insight into the new manager this. As you would expect saying all the right things, but certainly not promising sweeping changes straight away.
First impressions are that I am excited at this appointment but not expecting miracles, a brave move by the club and him. As first manager/ head coach jobs go ours is not an easy one , he could easily have bottled out.
Hope he gets the time he needs to change things before the divs get on his back if things don’t go right straight away.
We must believe we might have a good one here and back him big time right from the start.
COYL

I'll paraphrase him, but he essentially said 'coaching is about getting the best out of players'. Sounds too simple, but that was Brian Clough's philosophy. I thought GR was a great manager, and this is definitely a step into the unknown, but our new manager is obviously an excellent and experienced coach. It sounds like he also understands how management works (at least at our level where we have to make use of limited resources). A bit like Clough at Derby...

'The 37-year-old joins The Lions alongside Andy Myers, who will be installed as Assistant Head Coach. Adam Barrett - who has overseen the last four matches on a caretaker basis - and Andy Marshall, meanwhile, will remain part of the club's backroom staff.'

They haven't dumped Barrett then, but keeping him on as backroom staff, whatever that is? But I must say, a good gesture by the club. He's been pretty loyal these past six years and will have plenty to pass on regards the players and the club. In reality, probably an asset.

Personally, I am pleased with the whole outcome. I'm 66 and although I have seen some great times I have also seen some right shit over the years all played out in 'The Millwall Way' (whatever that is). It's about time this club had a shake up and crashed landed into the footballing 21st century. This certainly looks like an attempt at just that. Exciting (and nervous) times head.

Hats off to the club for giving it a go...
:tophat:
Mere whippersnapper. At 66 you have just got your knees brown!

a few people in The Haters Arms are mobilising already, lots of whispering and scheming by the fruit machine. A few miserable cunts saying he’s “too young” at the buffet. One bloke eating a cheese roll is considering what sub he can abuse instead if joe does well. Need to be patient and be prepared mentally for a relegation battle but over time hopefully this new man will build on what GR achieved

As I’ve said before, this season is a transitional one. With a change of chairman and now a change of manager. One that seems to have a different ethos from the previous one.
We need to give young Joe time. I don’t care where we finish this season, so long as it’s not in the bottom three. This season is all about building for the future. Putting things in place so we can have a real go of it next season, or even the following one.

I was very impressed by the interview he gave. He looks confident, he was clear in what he said, he didn't promise anything stupid and seems very level-headed. I liked that he said he looked to get the best out of the players we have and ostensibly that he won't ask them to do things they can't just because he is an idealist in terms of how he wants the team to play.

The proof as always, is in the pudding. It's a big jump to being the man in charge when you haven't done it before and he will live and die by his results and he will know that. We will need to back him and be patient.

COYL
If we believe he’ll succeed then he will! 👏

I was very impressed by the interview he gave. He looks confident, he was clear in what he said, he didn't promise anything stupid and seems very level-headed. I liked that he said he looked to get the best out of the players we have and ostensibly that he won't ask them to do things they can't just because he is an idealist in terms of how he wants the team to play.

The proof as always, is in the pudding. It's a big jump to being the man in charge when you haven't done it before and he will live and die by his results and he will know that. We will need to back him and be patient.
Ostensibly.
You is like we'll posh innit.

I'll paraphrase him, but he essentially said 'coaching is about getting the best out of players'. Sounds too simple, but that was Brian Clough's philosophy. I thought GR was a great manager, and this is definitely a step into the unknown, but our new manager is obviously an excellent and experienced coach. It sounds like he also understands how management works (at least at our level where we have to make use of limited resources). A bit like Clough at Derby...
Nice to hear from you TD
But with the reference to Brian Clough are you saying Edwards is an alcoholic?

As I’ve said before, this season is a transitional one. With a change of chairman and now a change of manager. One that seems to have a different ethos from the previous one.
We need to give young Joe time. I don’t care where we finish this season, so long as it’s not in the bottom three. This season is all about building for the future. Putting things in place so we can have a real go of it next season, or even the following one.
Agreed. One thing for me. He is clearly a respected coach and has the balls to take the job. I really hope the gamble pays off.

"“Often we can get so fixated on philosophy and tactics. We have to remember everyone around this game, at one point, all these players fell in love with football with a ball at their feet."

"If God had wanted football played in the clouds, son, he would have put grass up there." Old Big 'ead.

Agreed. One thing for me. He is clearly a respected coach and has the balls to take the job. I really hope the gamble pays off.

It certainly is a gamble, and I was quite worried at first. However, the more I learn about Edwards the happier I am. He talks a lot of sense, even the bit about not being fixated with possession stats. There's nothing wrong with a bit of direct football and no one wants to watch 90 mins of sideways and backwards passing.