Joe Edwards - The new gaffer

I assume the title of ‘Manager’ gives you more of a hands on role in the running of the club - recruitment, academy, training ground, day to day and tactics.

A Head Coach must just be involved in the first team squad and that’s it? Typically you would also see a Director of football installed that manages the recruitment and academy etc.

I wonder if we are going to appoint a DoF in the coming days too?
I was just thinking it’s a new chairman a new manager and anew era , an exciting one hopefully, not sure a DoF be in the budget at this time but it’s a new dawn who knows.

If we are going down the DoF route, we could do a lot worse that get KJ back at the club.
I think a lot of managers of a certain age/ era are worthless in the modern game unless they keep adapting and changing with it. These new innovative coaches have degress in sport science etc. Gotta move with the times. I actually thought he was a lot younger than 38. He shares my sons name so he's alright by me.

I think a lot of managers of a certain age/ era are worthless in the modern game unless they keep adapting and changing with it. These new innovative coaches have degress in sport science etc. Gotta move with the times. I actually thought he was a lot younger than 38. He shares my sons name so he's alright by me.
Edward?

He spoke very well about bringing young players through.
Obviously, it is something he has plenty of experience of.
I think there has never been a better time to be a rising star at Millwall.
If you are good enough you’ll get your chance, and be properly supported throughout the process.
Very encouraging.
You know what supporting our club can do to you over a period of time. It's the hope that kills you etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But but but i can;t but help feel a little excited. If he is good at what he does i think Danny Mac, Billy and Flemming in particular could really come alive. Esse Emakhu and Longman are the others. Not sure what you can do for older players like Hutch, Wallace, Leonard, Bradshaw and Cooper other than get them to play in a new system.

You know what supporting our club can do to you over a period of time. It's the hope that kills you etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, But but but i can;t but help feel a little excited. If he is good at what he does i think Danny Mac, Billy and Flemming in particular could really come alive. Esse Emakhu and Longman are the others. Not sure what you can do for older players like Hutch, Wallace, Leonard, Bradshaw and Cooper other than get them to play in a new system.
🤣🤣Screenshot_20231107_063229_Chrome.jpg

I don't see the older players having a problem, not even the regulars of the Haters have found a problem with their attitude.
For all the tactics in a game, Instinct is needed many times and thankfully they ain't the types who lose the ball and just stand there waiting for others to clear up the mess, something I feel Harris installed and Rowett happily carried on with keeping a basic work ethic about the squad.

Impressive and bold. I cannot remember in all of my lifetime such a long and eloquent interview of a new Millwall boss. He spoke with humility, quiet passion and enormous excitement about becoming our new boss. It is a massive task to take on at such a young age especially as he has no experience of managing any club at our level. He clearly has the determination to make his new position a great success and he has people around him to help him succeed. I really do wish him every success and I shall be giving him my full support. However, I do have a tiny doubt at the back of my mind.
We have all worked with people who can talk a good story. The older you get the quicker you can spot it. They can ramble on about their skills, their experience and their visions for the future but when they have all the tools for the job and they are in the front line they simply cannot deliver. With Joe though he didn’t ramble on but spoke with eloquence and a clear understanding of the position he was stepping into. He was brave and bold and he deserves all the support the fan base can offer.

In all my 70 plus years of supporting Millwall I can honestly say that this is the boldest decision the club have ever taken. I wish him every success.

That's all well and good, but a lot of the people I've met with a degree are thick. 😊

Last edited:
It certainly is a gamble, and I was quite worried at first. However, the more I learn about Edwards the happier I am. He talks a lot of sense, even the bit about not being fixated with possession stats. There's nothing wrong with a bit of direct football and no one wants to watch 90 mins of sideways and backwards passing.
Especially in and around your own box.

“I did my Pro License with Gary Rowett, so I know Gary. I remember talking years ago with Gary about his preferred style of play. His is probably quite different to mine…” Thank fuck for that! 😉

“I want us to be more on the front foot and proactive from an attacking point of view and that starts on the training pitch. A lot of the work we do in these early days and weeks will be stuff where it is players getting on the ball, thinking forward and playing forward, taking care of possession. I want the training to be enjoyable – if you’ve got people out there enjoying what they are doing then it is a big thing.“

Impressive and bold. I cannot remember in all of my lifetime such a long and eloquent interview of a new Millwall boss. He spoke with humility, quiet passion and enormous excitement about becoming our new boss. It is a massive task to take on at such a young age especially as he has no experience of managing any club at our level. He clearly has the determination to make his new position a great success and he has people around him to help him succeed. I really do wish him every success and I shall be giving him my full support. However, I do have a tiny doubt at the back of my mind.
We have all worked with people who can talk a good story. The older you get the quicker you can spot it. They can ramble on about their skills, their experience and their visions for the future but when they have all the tools for the job and they are in the front line they simply cannot deliver. With Joe though he didn’t ramble on but spoke with eloquence and a clear understanding of the position he was stepping into. He was brave and bold and he deserves all the support the fan base can offer.

In all my 70 plus years of supporting Millwall I can honestly say that this is the boldest decision the club have ever taken. I wish him every success.
The trouble with you Silver, is that you’re only a youngster. The old managers knew what they were doing (they just never got to speak about it on Millwall TV)

The trouble with you Silver, is that you’re only a youngster. The old managers knew what they were doing (they just never got to speak about it on Millwall TV)

My Dad will love this clip - a couple of his favourite players. Will show him later. Cheers onlyagame.