THE DEFINITIVE TRANSFER IN/OUT THREAD!!!

Don’t think it’s the size of the squad that’s the problem, but more about the lack of quality, particularly our forward line!

We’re missing that one forward that knows when to time his run, or where to find the space to fire off a shot and who can score from any position, inside or outside the box!

A tall order, I know, but I’m sure there’s one or two players like that in the lower leagues that might be worth a punt, and Joe’s reputation of working well with youngsters is a big plus that we need to exploit!

Don’t think it’s the size of the squad that’s the problem, but more about the lack of quality, particularly our forward line!

We’re missing that one forward that knows when to time his run, or where to find the space to fire off a shot and who can score from any position, inside or outside the box!

A tall order, I know, but I’m sure there’s one or two players like that in the lower leagues that might be worth a punt, and Joe’s reputation of working well with youngsters is a big plus that we need to exploit!
The team with a lack of quality hasn't done too badly over the last few years.

Not going to go through all the clubs but I looked at Southampton and they have a squad of 24.
I can't see how a club our size can think of that size of squad as too small.
Southampton have 25 but 24 is the joint lowest.

Plus Southampton have ridiculous depth in quality who ever comes in & out.

But yeah, 24 isn’t big no.

Initially, yes, but how is a manager (or the supporters) ever going to find out if said youngster(s) are ever going to cut it in a competitive game if they’re not given actual experience? Joe has put these youngsters on the bench, so he must be happy in his mind that they are good enough to be called upon, if necessary, otherwise why are they there?

A training session is never going to be anywhere near as intense as it would be during a competitive match, with real tackles flying in and 11 opposition players doing what they can to stop and frustrate you from playing well. Not to mention the added frustration of having to deal with shit refs and linos who make the wrong decisions which impact on the player, and which they would never experience during a training ground session!

Its pointless to me to have say, Bryan getting injured at left back (with Wallace already out injured), and a player who isn’t a left back is brought on, or forced to change position on the pitch to go in at left back, when someone like Adom-Malaki is on the bench for that specific position and purpose!

I get managers sometimes want to play it safe and believe putting an already experienced player in a different position is better than using a raw recruit, but how is that raw recruit going to get any experience and used properly in future games if he’s not playing competitively? This chicken and egg scenario has to stop and some trust has to be given. Only then will everyone know what sort of player they have and whether he’s going to succeed or not!
The reason he put “youngsters on the bench” was because they had to make up the numbers with the injuries we have! :shake:

Southampton have 25 but 24 is the joint lowest.

Plus Southampton have ridiculous depth in quality who ever comes in & out.

But yeah, 24 isn’t big no.
When have we ever had bigger?
Harris wanted 2 players for each position and eventually got it and now we have more, only 16 can ever get on the pitch in a game.

The reason he put “youngsters on the bench” was because they had to make up the numbers with the injuries we have! :shake:
Yeah, fair point.

Joe has had Adom-Malaki on the bench a few times prior to our big injury crisis (even when Bryan and Wallace have been fit), so I’d like to think that he thinks the lad could do a job if called upon!

What do you think? Should Joe give the youngsters a decent try out for a few games, once we’re safe? Even if we finish 21st it will show him what he’d have available going into the next season, and where we’d need to strengthen!

Yeah, fair point.

Joe has had Adom-Malaki on the bench a few times prior to our big injury crisis (even when Bryan and Wallace have been fit), so I’d like to think that he thinks the lad could do a job if called upon!

What do you think? Should Joe give the youngsters a decent try out for a few games, once we’re safe? Even if we finish 21st it will show him what he’d have available going into the next season, and where we’d need to strengthen!
Yes I think he will definitely blood a few more youngsters and maybe sooner than we think. 👍
Cheers mate.

Yeah, fair point.

The key phrase is " .. once we're safe.." Let's make sure of that before we start to experiment.

It's definitely harder to blood youngsters since the play offs were introduced. The old days of getting to February/March knowing you can't get in the top 3 or bottom 3, then you start bringing youngsters in.
Now, you always think there's maybe an outside chance of 6th, you won't risk it.

Cresswell would be a blinding investment. Apparently available for under £4m. Could easily triple that value if he has a couple of good seasons at this level.

Gilchrist isn’t our player and never will be. And bar a couple of substitute Prem cameos is somewhat unproven.