Match thread Swansea v Millwall

FFS What a joke. I’m no Rowett fan from an entertaining football point of view but we’re normally way down the table at this stage. He’s put together a very good squad and we have a good chance of a top six finish.
They are still learning how to gel together and with new players takes time. Not an overnight fix.
It will come. Fighting spirit and Millwall go together like pie'n'mash!

Gary Rowett: "It felt like the game had gone for us on 90 minutes, but we were still getting good chances. They had 18 shots to our 16, so we still had plenty of opportunities on goal. I was an assistant manager once when we were leading 5-2 with eight minutes to play and we ended up losing 6-5, so anything can happen. Even though they outpassed us and outplayed us, we hit the bar twice and we should have had two penalties. We had just as many good moments as they did.

"We want to be the team that keeps going to the last whistle. If we run out of time we run out of time, but we don't run out of character and effort in trying to turn the game around. I think teams will be fearful of our determination, but not our starts to games - that's pretty clear. I think we will improve and we're a team that will be hard to beat. But we've got to be more solid.

"We're staying overnight because we've got to go to Norwich on Friday night, so I think I'll let the boys have one beer after that. They deserve it for their effort at the end of the game, but I think while they are sipping it, they'll have to think about showing a little bit more belief. That's the important bit."

It's a very fair assessment and Rowett never gives any bullshit after a game. You can argue about team selection, tactics, substitutions but you can't argue the fact that we have been two down in the last two games and came back in both. The manager will get all the above wrong at times but he is also responsible for the spirit, determination and character of the players, and we have all three in spades. Those are fantastic traits to have in any team and not easy to achieve.

I have just seen the highlights, Bart made a number of good saves, but as GR said we did have chances, 2 goals, hit the bar twice, 2 pen shouts (the first was a pen, the second, I'm not to sure) Burey had a good chance that went over the bar.

Are we zone marking? as it has been said in this thread, we are just backing off, and if we are zone marking, it just makes us look like no one is stepping up to tackle, well because, no one was/is.

Malone has never been the best tackler, even in his first spell with us, he has not been very good so far this season, but nor has any of the defense (Bart excluded)
Cooper has been poor without Hutch in the team, but I don't believe Hutch plays well in a back 5.
The Leeds kid needs games and he will make mistakes, I'm not sure if it was wise to bring him in if we are trying to get in the top 6 (with the money JB has laid out so far this season compared to the last few seasons I'd assume so) but he looks a good prospect.
Wallace has been ok not great, maybe still finding his feet again in the CB role, after playing most of last season as a wingback.
Danny has done ok, but again, just like the rest of the back 5, not up to the defensive stranded of last season, is this due to my above point of zone marking

I know we are only a few games in, and we have done really well to be where we currently are, but we are not always going to be able to come back from 2 down to win or draw, I think GR sees this, going by his post match interview, I hope he addresses it.

Members online