Chances of reaching the Play offs?

We are in this position, with probably one of the weakest squads in the League,
because of GR. Just look at the injuries we have had, yet he has managed to navigate that situation. Recently, many people have been praising Shrek as doing a great job. Well, he was 'out greated' last night by GR.

I know it's all about opinions, and quite rightly so. But, in my opinion, I think he deserves a break from all the negative shit until the end of the season.
Doing very well with the tools he has.

Looking at the remaining games we have... you'd think we'd have a fair chance of reaching the play offs if we had a manager with 'proper' tactical knowledge... but with GR's ultra defensive approach, I'm not so sure :(
Others have a different view on GR to you mate. 😉

Ask us again after Saturday. If we beat sheff utd then we have every chance but if we lose then I think that’s game over in terms of reaching the playoffs. More then the results it’s just nice to actually see us going into games trying to win and with attacking intent! How much of that is down to rowett? Well I’m not so sure cause let’s be honest, if we didn’t have injuries to players like afobe ect then you think the likes of burey ect would of got a chance? I doubt it…..but yes we have done well this season.

To state the “bleedin’ obvious” we can still get 88 points so anything is possible if you care to dream?
I remember we were miles behind the leaders after we lost to Birmingham in February 1988 & after a run including seven wins on the trot we ended up winning the league

Very slim chance, yes we have players on verge of return, but got some tough fixtures coming up. So being realistic you have to say we won’t do it. Yes we just had 3 good wins but Millwall are Millwall we can lose the next 3. . If we had a striker like mitrovic and a midfield supplying him with 10 chances each game I’d say we had a chance, but we don’t. Punching above our weight at minute and it’s great but don’t see it lasting. Hope I’m totally wrong

The only problem I can see for him, is what does he do when the likes of Bradshaw, Afobe and Ojo are fit again? Does he keep with the same side that has kept us in play off contention, or does he bring those players back in, and possibly upset the good rhythm the present team currently have?

That's a conundrum and you forgot the bigger 'problem', Ballard.

Some have called for Ballard to replace Cooper, but if we play 4 at the back that means Ballard or Hutch playing on the wrong side. The alternative is to go 3 or 5 at the back.

Personally, I'd leave things as they are. It would be a big - and deserved - vote of confidence in Burey. A bench in a few week's time of Bradshaw, Afobe, Ojo, Leonard, Ballard and Dutch gives a lot of options.

Of course that's all theoretical; we're bound to pick up more injuries before everyone is available.

All teams have injuries so we cannot use that as a reason. If you look back over the last two seasons we have stabilized our team from a the Hoof ball outfit to a mid table team playing some decent football it has taken some time for GR to get us playing this way and should given the chance to carry on I think we all would have been happy to be in this position when we were promoted

but with GR's ultra defensive approach, I'm not so sure :(
With the lack of attacking flair, creativity and goal scorers i reckon we;d be fairly fucked and a lot lower down the division without our defensive approach. Teams below us in a relegation fight have scored more than us but have also conceded a lot more. Our goal difference is minus one, many others are way into the double figures.

we should have won or at least drawn: recent games like the home draw with Preston, shockers like losing away to Blackpool and home to Forest, and the worst two of all, losing away to both Huddersfield and Peterborough!
We never do well against shitty teams that on paper we should be beating, Barnsley and Rotherham anyone? It's the way it is. On top of that, if fans can't get motivated and bother to turn up to games like this then i'd say it's pretty much the same for our players. We beat premier sides in the cup and fucking lose to some lowly northern side the following week, the enigma that is Millwall!

I think you're a bit harsh regarding the Huddersfield loss, they;re a good side and it was never a given that we win that. The Forest game was a very harsh defeat and undeserved in my opinion. We had a poor January results wise but, if you look at the fixtures we played 4 games in twenty days with a patched up squad that included a school kid, we just haven't got the strength in depth to be competing and winning all the time. It's not as simple as just having the desire and consistency, you need a big, fit and capable squad to get that.

Last edited:
Very slim chance, yes we have players on verge of return, but got some tough fixtures coming up. So being realistic you have to say we won’t do it. Yes we just had 3 good wins but Millwall are Millwall we can lose the next 3. . If we had a striker like mitrovic and a midfield supplying him with 10 chances each game I’d say we had a chance, but we don’t. Punching above our weight at minute and it’s great but don’t see it lasting. Hope I’m totally wrong
I know football isn't played on paper, but, on paper the next 3 are no harder than the last 3 and we won them. After that some very winnable games. I agree it's unlikely, but nice to have a squeak of a chance

We never do well against shitty teams that on paper we should be beating, Barnsley and Rotherham anyone? It's the way it is. On top of that, if fans can't get motivated and bother to turn up to games like this then i'd say it's pretty much the same for our players. We beat premier sides in the cup and fucking lose to some lowly northern side the following week, the enigma that is Millwall!

I think you're a bit harsh regarding the Huddersfield loss, they;re a good side and it was never a given that we win that. The Forest game was a very harsh defeat and undeserved in my opinion. We had a poor January results wise but, if you look at the fixtures we played 4 games in twenty days with a patched up squad that included a school kid, we just haven't got the strength in depth to be competing and winning all the time. It's not as simple as just having the desire and consistency, you need a big, fit and capable squad to get that.
Agree on all that you‘ve said in that first paragraph!

Regarding Huddersfield though, I did say that they had been in or around the play offs for most of the season, and because of that I’d have taken a draw all day long, but according to many who went to the game, the players were absolutely shocking in that game. They couldn’t win first or second balls, and couldn’t string two passes together! Not the sort of performance you want to give against a team that had been playing well all season!

Bit harsh, re the hung, drawn and quartered bit!

I don’t think anyone on this forum hates Gary Rowett, the man, but for the majority of this season and last, supporters have hated his style of dull, defensive football!

Whether by luck or design, or down to injuries to key players, Rowett has, to his credit, brought in more youngsters this season (in particular Burey), and has recently seen what can happen with a Millwall team that starts and continues on the front foot - we get the grit, determination and good play we had when Rowett first took over - and recently we’ve been reaping the rewards from that!

Whether that continues or not is mostly down to Rowett. If he keeps with a settled side, there’s a good chance we’ll get some more great results. The only problem I can see for him, is what does he do when the likes of Bradshaw, Afobe and Ojo are fit again? Does he keep with the same side that has kept us in play off contention, or does he bring those players back in, and possibly upset the good rhythm the present team currently have?

That’s one decision headache I wouldn’t want to have! :grinning:
Wait and see the stick he gets if we get done on Saturday, regardless how we play. If he finishes top half for the third year running, with all the shit on and off the pitch to deal with, outstanding job in my opinion

I know football isn't played on paper, but, on paper the next 3 are no harder than the last 3 and we won them. After that some very winnable games. I agree it's unlikely, but nice to have a squeak of a chance
Yes, if nothing else, it stops the season from being over in February, and keeps it a little bit more interesting till the end of the season, or until it becomes mathematically impossible, points wise, to get to the play offs!

Like I said on a different thread, let’s see how much money JB gives our manager in the summer, to rebuild the team and hopefully then we can mount a play off challenge next season!

Agree mate gives those going every week a flicker of hope.

but according to many who went to the game, the players were absolutely shocking in that game. They couldn’t win first or second balls, and couldn’t string two passes together! Not the sort of performance you want to give against a team that had been playing well all season!
We then went on to beat Reading, draw against Bournemouth at home and away to boro, it's what we do. Huddersfield away was one of only two defeats in thirteen games, we all know we're capable of a stinker now and again. It's certainly not worth storing and reminding people about four months later :grinning:We've had our share of luck this season, four wins nicked in injury time, i tend to remember the good things otherwise there's not much point or reward.