Wall V Middlesbrough match thread.

We got punished for not being clinical enough in the final third. However it will come good as we’ve never created so many chances to score from open play.
Longman gets some stick from some on here but I’m happy with him. He tries hard, tracks back well and can shoot with either feet.
I've been critical of Longman but he had a very good 1st half yesterday. Looked less effective when switched to the left and pushed further forward imo.

I've been critical of Longman but he had a very good 1st half yesterday. Looked less effective when switched to the left and pushed further forward imo.
I’ve said before we could try BNC on the left and leave Longman on the right. BNC then has the opportunity to cut in on his right to pass, cross or shoot!

Fleming made quite a few runs behind their defender and not spotted often enough.
Agree, especially in the first half when he made several good runs down the left channel and I’m not sure if I remember a single occasion when the ball was hit long for him.

Biggest offender was Cooper who’s gone from launch ball all the time to nearly not at all 🤷‍♂️

Agree, especially in the first half when he made several good runs down the left channel and I’m not sure if I remember a single occasion when the ball was hit long for him.

Biggest offender was Cooper who’s gone from launch ball all the time to nearly not at all 🤷‍♂️
Actually it was Cooper who made two very good and accurate long passes for Flemming to collect or run onto. In fact his cross field passing to the wings has improved considerably.

Actually it was Cooper who made two very good and accurate long passes for Flemming to collect or run onto. In fact his cross field passing to the wings has improved considerably.
There were several long balls in the first half, Harding pinged one down the left side that was possibly pass of the day, I hope we never stop looking for them as we can't become predictable.

Watmore made some poor decisions when we had the ball in dangerous positions.

I think one problem we have had since Edwards has been here is that we don't break with enough players, Watmore is beating players and getting into positions where he looks up and there are only 2 or 3 players being marked by 5 or 6 defenders, our 2 CM always seem to be sitting to deep to be involved in a counter attack and I don't see that is needed when you have 3 CB's.
It's as though a CB is needed to push into midfield so Honeyman can join the attack a lot sooner.

I think one problem we have had since Edwards has been here is that we don't break with enough players, Watmore is beating players and getting into positions where he looks up and there are only 2 or 3 players being marked by 5 or 6 defenders, our 2 CM always seem to be sitting to deep to be involved in a counter attack and I don't see that is needed when you have 3 CB's.
It's as though a CB is needed to push into midfield so Honeyman can join the attack a lot sooner.
Or not fit enough to join him quickly?

Or not fit enough to join him quickly?
I don't get the fitness questions, for many years now we have had sports science involved, the players are tracked by satellite on the pitch and whilst training, it goes down to the Conference so no players are unfit unless coming back from injury.
No human being can cover the distance they do and expect to be as fit in the 90th minute as they were in the 1st.

I don't get the fitness questions, for many years now we have had sports science involved, the players are tracked by satellite on the pitch and whilst training, it goes down to the Conference so no players are unfit unless coming back from injury.
No human being can cover the distance they do and expect to be as fit in the 90th minute as they were in the 1st.
Yes mate and I’m talking about endurance and stamina. Many on here have mentioned how fit the other team seem to be - quicker and energetic. Maybe that will come with JE’s more joined up style and we saw a glimpse of it against Boro.

We got punished for not being clinical enough in the final third. However it will come good as we’ve never created so many chances to score from open play.
Longman gets some stick from some on here but I’m happy with him. He tries hard, tracks back well and can shoot with either feet.
Same outcome as the cup game .Performance really good, failed to take our chances and punished by clinical finishing at the other end.
Longman for me was mom for us by far his best game in a wall shirt .
Was thoroughly entertained today watching that BUT thouroughly pissed off leaving the ground having lost.

Last edited:
So we played some really good football in the game and created lots of chances, that were sadly not taken. Their first was against the run of play and they should have felt lucky to go in even. The second goal was pivotal imo, a single poor decision and we are 2-1 down. After that we are chasing the game late on, never a great position to be in and get caught on the break in injury time.

I think we can see that some of what JE is doing going forwards and holding the ball is starting to work really well. Our defensive frailties, that seem to have been season long, have not been put to bed yet despite our Christmas run.

My only real gripe is that subs were not made soon enough or correctly. Billy played well but was done by about 70 minutes and really had to be subbed. Moving Longman for me was odd as he was doing so well that side. However we are not in possession of all the data that the manager is, so I'll put the sheepskin away and trust they know better.

So we played some really good football in the game and created lots of chances, that were sadly not taken. Their first was against the run of play and they should have felt lucky to go in even. The second goal was pivotal imo, a single poor decision and we are 2-1 down. After that we are chasing the game late on, never a great position to be in and get caught on the break in injury time.

I think we can see that some of what JE is doing going forwards and holding the ball is starting to work really well. Our defensive frailties, that seem to have been season long, have not been put to bed yet despite our Christmas run.

My only real gripe is that subs were not made soon enough or correctly. Billy played well but was done by about 70 minutes and really had to be subbed. Moving Longman for me was odd as he was doing so well that side. However we are not in possession of all the data that the manager is, so I'll put the sheepskin away and trust they know better.
Also limited with options on the bench, injuries etc , returning from injuries. Good to see Casper get a few mins.

Losing BNC and Emaku and their counter attacking pace, has taken us away from the low block, that worked so well against Norwich and Sunderland.
If we played like that without them, we would not be able to get out and have to revert to 'Rowettball'.
Conversely, playing in the manner we have these last two home games is great on the eye, however we don't have the pace, mobility and general fitness to make it work against the better sides, who are exploiting the space we leave behind, when we attack and press in numbers.
A priority for me is holding midfielder in the Jimmy Abdou mould and legs at the back.

I noted Campbell was on the bench yesterday. Surprised JE didn't bring him on early, certainly gets stuck in.

If he's not going to use him when we've a stack of injuries then why hasn't he sent him back to Luton :hmmm:

If Cooper scores from three yards out the one sided ref gives the penalty for the GBH on Cooper and Bryan does not have a brain fart, its a different game.

All the stars aligned for Middlesbrough yesterday, they got lucky we matched them all over the park we are on their level with players that cost a tenth of theirs and getting better every game plus we had seven first team players unavailable.

Would their manager get our players to play as good as Joe Edwards has, doubt it.

Members online