Wall V Middlesbrough match thread.

The last two games we have conceded from balls over the top (long ball) which Hutch and Cooper used to deal with no problem, however when Harding and Cooper play we always seem to concede and I feel we have a problem with Harding in particular when defending facing his own goal.

I see people saying they'd rather do down playing nice football than watch Rowett ball and a chance of the play offs. People are strange.
Watching Rowett's games just to point out the negatives, then watch Edwards just for the positives, I've never thought of football as an entertainment, I'd rather we got the 3 points we deserved today by being boring to watch.
I'll always be pissed off when clubs go away with 3 points they don't deserve.

Watching Rowett's games just to point out the negatives, then watch Edwards just for the positives, I've never thought of football as an entertainment, I'd rather we got the 3 points we deserved today by being boring to watch.
I can't really understand the 'I'd rather play well and lose' argument. In fact, I think it's disingenuous because the same people would complain if we got relegated by playing 'entertaining football'.

GR was a brilliant manager and highly successful for us - he acheieved league positions far higher than what would be predicted by his transfer budget. I don't understand the irrational dislike that some people have for him. Edwards is a gamble, but there were signs that GR was slowly losing his magic touch. Our recent form under him was not good.

If Edwards can learn quickly, I think he will be a better long-term bet for the club given his experiene in coaching younger players.

I’ve never doubted his enthusiasm it’s the quality I’ve a problem with 🤷‍♂️
You could say he is our 4th choice CM, we have never had a better 4th choice but he needs to improve a lot to become a starter, feels like he will go the same way as Thompson but at 22 he can still improve, his shooting has to as it can't get any worse.

You could say he is our 4th choice CM, we have never had a better 4th choice but he needs to improve a lot to become a starter, feels like he will go the same way as Thompson but at 22 he can still improve, his shooting has to as it can't get any worse.
I agree he’ll probably end up going the same way as Thommo but a major difference between the two is Ben has courage which Billy doesn’t.

The way he ducks out of contested headers is reminiscent of AOB and, given he plays in the most competitive area of the pitch, is a serious flaw🤷‍♂️

The change we have seen so far in the short time that Joe Edwards has had to work with the team is remarkable, each and every player has improved.

We were down to the bare bones in picking a team to play today and we still gave what will be a promotion chasing side a good run for their money.

Unfortunately that will always go on until the end of time.

Have to agree with his shooting. I cannot for the life of me fathom out how a professional footballer who has played all his life, and gets paid to do it cannot kick a ball towards the goal when under no pressure. How many times do you hear the phrase “ he was leaning back”. Nobody ever taught you to do that, so WHY do you do it?. Technique of some players is childish. WHY?. Answers on a postcard.

We’ve lacked quality in the final third today. Watmore made some poor decisions when we had the ball in dangerous positions. I think we need Nesbit on the ball more - he looks class when he’s got the ball at his feet. Flemming was quiet again and at times our defence were very stretched. Not a bad performance, but a day to take some learnings from. Definite progress none the less, which lets face it - is all we can ask for.
Fleming made quite a few runs behind their defender and not spotted often enough.