Wall V Ipswich Match thread

Peckham Lion

Staff member
They've been off form but so have many others that have turned up at the Den to end there bad run. Would like to see Wallace, Saville and Leonard start cause they give everything out on the pitch. Over to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

COYL

As requested by @onlyagame

Some history on Berm on sea once known or Beommunds island. It takes it's name from a saxon landowner.

Bermondsey appears in the doomsday book as Burmundsey and Bermundesye, in the hundreds of Brixton and within the County of Surrey.

As it developed over the centuries, Bermondsey underwent many changes. After the great fire of London it was inhabited by the well-to-do, and took on the character of a garden suburb especially along the line of Grange and Bermondsey Wall East as it became more urbanised. A pleasure garden was constructed during the restoration in the 17th century, commemorated by the Cherry Garden Pier.

In 1770 a man named Thomas Keyse discovered a natural spring on land he owned by what is now Spa Road. The discovery of the spring from the river Neckinger in the area led to the development of Bermondsey spa the area between Grange and Jamaica Roads called Spa road commemorates that.

By the mid-19th century, Factories sprang up, most notably Chocolate, Salt, cheese and Hartleys Jam. Parts of Bermondsey, especially along the riverside, had become notorious slums with the arrival of industrial plants, docks and immigrant housing. The area around St. Saviour's Dock, known as Jacobs Island was one of the worst in London. It was immortalised in Charles Dickens novel Oliver Twist.

The area was extensively redeveloped during the 19th century and early 20th century with the expansion of the river trade and the arrival of the railways. London's first passenger railway terminus was built by the London to Greenwich railway company in 1836 at London bridgeThe first section to be used was between Spa road station and Deptford High Street. The station closed by 1915.

The industrial boom of the 19th century was an extension of Bermondsey's manufacturing role in earlier eras. As with the east end industries that were deemed too noisy to be carried on within the narrow confines of the city of London had been located here – one such that came to dominate central Bermondsey, away from the riverfront, was the processing and trading of Leather and hides. Hence Tanner street and Leathermarket street off of long lane.

Peek Frean who many of our families will have worked for was established in 1857 at Dockhead, Bermondsey by James Peek and George Hender Frean. They moved to a larger plant in Clements Road in 1866, leading to the nickname 'Biscuit Town' for Bermondsey, where they continued baking until the brand was discontinued in 1989.

Donkin house on the Rennie estate, Galleywall road is a reminder of the areas history. Blue Anchor Lane, was also the location of the world's first food canning business, established in 1812, by Donkin Hall and Gamble.

Along the riverside Bermondsey was served by wharves and warehouses. This area suffered severe damage in world war 2 and became derelict in the 1960's after the collapse of the once thriving river trade.

Bermondsey's parliamentary representation has fluctuated with its population. Since at least the 13th century, it had formed part of the Surrey County ( one for @Wippa ) seat until the 1868 Reform Act when it became part of the Southwark consistuency.. From 1885 to 1918, a separate consistuency existed, which included part of the older Southwark constituency. 1918 saw the seat split between two new constituencies Rothehithe and Bermondsey west which existed until 1950.

in 1983, the area played host to the famous Bermondsey by election in which Labours Peter Thatchell lost the previously safe Labour seat to the Liberal Simon Hughes. A swing of over 44%, which still remains the largest by-election swing in British political history.

Famous people include-

Tommy Steele,
Michael Barrymore.

Sid Smith-1889 – 1948 who was an English professional boxer. He was the first officially recognised BBB of Control British flyweight champion, holding the title from 1912 to 1913'

Max Bygraves who was born in Paradise street.

That's my lot for now :geek::geek::geek:

Last edited:
They've been off form but so have many others that have turned up at the Den to end there bad run. Would like to see Wallace, Saville and Leonard start cause they give everything out on the pitch. Over to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

COYL
Play all seventeen from the off and we might have a chance*
Some on here will say otherwise though 😟

Would take a draw against Ipswich, 3 points against Wednesday, prefer 6 from both that would be great.

We need the players to show up for these 2 games at home, the rot has to stop now and honestly forget 1 up front, all out and get that fucking ball in the box, across the 6 yard box, for these 2 games proper in your face battle hard no nonsense, with the crowd behind them to. Flemming has to up his game and show his class and Cooper needs a proper Captains performance. If not I seriously think the board will have to take a serious look at who is in charge for the rest of the season

COYL

Play all seventeen from the off and we might have a chance*
Some on here will say otherwise though 😟
Can’t do that as our Forsythe Saga of injuries continues

COYL
No paragraph about Bermondsey?
I was looking forward to another history lesson (& I’m actually serious)

Looking forward to a night home game, not done one for a few months. I don't expect much result wise to be honest, but we live in hope, and surely the performance will at least be a vast improvement over the reverse fixture at Portman Road, regardless of the result.

Honestly think we will get a result against this lot, 3-1 Wall.
I can see us taking a lead, but not so sure we can hold onto one against them. I get the impression that we often kick off a match with some good tactics and look impressive; but then by half time the opposition realise they need to change things to counter what we are doing, and I'm not sure we then ever really modify our tactics to match. It's like they figure us out, and when they do we have little answer.

10 years ago on 14 feb my dad died was mad about Millwall like me his ashes are in the memorial garden over the den will go there before the game tomorrow and then go to is plaque in the cbl like I do before every home game would be great if we could win for hime and me come on you lions

10 years ago on 14 feb my dad died was mad about Millwall like me his ashes are in the memorial garden over the den will go there before the game tomorrow and then go to is plaque in the cbl like I do before every home game would be great if we could win for hime and me come on you lions

All the best mate. Let's hope your old man gives us a helping hand tomorrow night.

A very special reason indeed. Your dad will be in my thoughts tomorrow Brickwall.

Puts it all into perspective. For your Dad. Hope it’s a bittersweet night for you and his family. Up you Lions!!!