Wall V Ipswich Match thread

Turned out to be? I think he was always a Sausage jockey mate. Thatchell was a raging deviant too. He lived on the Rockingham estate down the Elephant where my old man lived. Would have loved to be his glazier :rotfl: :rotfl:
Tatchell in the eyes of the law is a paedo, he lover/husband was under the age of consent and contributed to a book called 'Betrayal of Youth aka BOY' were he and other notorious/prolific paedos were advocates for lowering the age of consent to 4 years old and book was only published in that liberal country the Netherlands...

As for tonight 2-1 Wall.

See
Tatchell in the eyes of the law is a paedo, he lover/husband was under the age of consent and contributed to a book called 'Betrayal of Youth aka BOY' were he and other notorious/prolific paedos were advocates for lowering the age of consent to 4 years old and book was only published in that liberal country the Netherlands...

As for tonight 2-1 Wall.

They've been off form but so have many others that have turned up at the Den to end there bad run. Would like to see Wallace, Saville and Leonard start cause they give everything out on the pitch. Over to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

COYL

As requested by @onlyagame

Some history on Berm on sea once known or Beommunds island. It takes it's name from a saxon landowner.

Bermondsey appears in the doomsday book as Burmundsey and Bermundesye, in the hundreds of Brixton and within the County of Surrey.

As it developed over the centuries, Bermondsey underwent many changes. After the great fire of London it was inhabited by the well-to-do, and took on the character of a garden suburb especially along the line of Grange and Bermondsey Wall East as it became more urbanised. A pleasure garden was constructed during the restoration in the 17th century, commemorated by the Cherry Garden Pier.

In 1770 a man named Thomas Keyse discovered a natural spring on land he owned by what is now Spa Road. The discovery of the spring from the river Neckinger in the area led to the development of Bermondsey spa the area between Grange and Jamaica Roads called Spa road commemorates that.

By the mid-19th century, Factories sprang up, most notably Chocolate, Salt, cheese and Hartleys Jam. Parts of Bermondsey, especially along the riverside, had become notorious slums with the arrival of industrial plants, docks and immigrant housing. The area around St. Saviour's Dock, known as Jacobs Island was one of the worst in London. It was immortalised in Charles Dickens novel Oliver Twist.

The area was extensively redeveloped during the 19th century and early 20th century with the expansion of the river trade and the arrival of the railways. London's first passenger railway terminus was built by the London to Greenwich railway company in 1836 at London bridgeThe first section to be used was between Spa road station and Deptford High Street. The station closed by 1915.

The industrial boom of the 19th century was an extension of Bermondsey's manufacturing role in earlier eras. As with the east end industries that were deemed too noisy to be carried on within the narrow confines of the city of London had been located here – one such that came to dominate central Bermondsey, away from the riverfront, was the processing and trading of Leather and hides. Hence Tanner street and Leathermarket street off of long lane.

Peek Frean who many of our families will have worked for was established in 1857 at Dockhead, Bermondsey by James Peek and George Hender Frean. They moved to a larger plant in Clements Road in 1866, leading to the nickname 'Biscuit Town' for Bermondsey, where they continued baking until the brand was discontinued in 1989.

Donkin house on the Rennie estate, Galleywall road is a reminder of the areas history. Blue Anchor Lane, was also the location of the world's first food canning business, established in 1812, by Donkin Hall and Gamble.

Along the riverside Bermondsey was served by wharves and warehouses. This area suffered severe damage in world war 2 and became derelict in the 1960's after the collapse of the once thriving river trade.

Bermondsey's parliamentary representation has fluctuated with its population. Since at least the 13th century, it had formed part of the Surrey County ( one for @Wippa ) seat until the 1868 Reform Act when it became part of the Southwark consistuency.. From 1885 to 1918, a separate consistuency existed, which included part of the older Southwark constituency. 1918 saw the seat split between two new constituencies Rothehithe and Bermondsey west which existed until 1950.

in 1983, the area played host to the famous Bermondsey by election in which Labours Peter Thatchell lost the previously safe Labour seat to the Liberal Simon Hughes. A swing of over 44%, which still remains the largest by-election swing in British political history.

Famous people include-

Tommy Steele,
Michael Barrymore.

Sid Smith-1889 – 1948 who was an English professional boxer. He was the first officially recognised BBB of Control British flyweight champion, holding the title from 1912 to 1913'

Max Bygraves who was born in Paradise street.

That's my lot for now :geek::geek::geek:
Here's some more mate:

Bermondsey was a very religious place (believe or not 😉) Tooley Street had large palaces belonging to various abbots and bishops who stayed there when visiting London. In the 15th century the monks kept a hostel for travellers known as the Salutation of Rotherhithe, now believed to be the foundation of The Angel pub.

The Blue Anchor Inn was a rather quaint (unlike now 😉 wooden structure that stood in the lonely marches of Bermondsey; and it stood there for some considerable time before it was rebuilt. This was still untamed open country, full of hazardous boggy areas, quicksand and little streams.

Galleywall Road was an ancient byway which was regularly under water. It was a wild no man’s land for many centuries and, like the rest of the area, it was occupied by just a few market gardeners. A derelict old manor house amid manure works was its only architectural feature until the mid-19th century.

And more from Debra Gosling’s book ‘Down The Blue’ sadly out of print but you can get one here: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/Down-Blue-Debra-Gosling-South-Bermondsey/31220142724/bd

In case anyone missed the clubs “United for Change” statement yesterday:

The Den, home of Millwall Football Club, is proudly a safe and inclusive area for all those who visit one of London’s most iconic stadia.​

The club continues to highlight its ‘United For Change’ campaign, promoting and striving for equality within our communities.

Nobody should be subject to abuse of any kind and the club has a zero-tolerance policy against discriminatory abuse of any kind.

Should you hear any discriminatory or misogynistic abuse during Wednesday night's match against Ipswich Town, you can use the club's ‘Hear Hate? Don’t Hesitate’ reporting service by texting ‘HATE’ and your message to ***** or by emailing ***** (or just tell them yourself if you feel that strongly)

Here's some more mate:

Don't forget The Bermondsey Horror (no, not the current one at The Den)...
:thumbup:

The Bermondsey Horror: Maria Manning and Frederick Manning​

On August 9, 1849, a chilling event unfolded in Bermondsey’s Miniver Place, off Weston Street. The protagonists were Maria Manning, a Swiss maid, and her husband Frederick Manning, a guard on the Great Western Railway. Their guest that fateful evening was Patrick O’Connor, a 50-year-old Irish customs officer.

As the dinner commenced, Maria abruptly shot Patrick O’Connor in the head with a pistol. Remarkably, the bullet did not kill him. Undeterred, Frederick Manning finished the job by bludgeoning O’Connor to death with a crowbar. The gruesome murder shocked Victorian England and became known as the "Bermondsey Horror"1.

But why did Maria and Frederick commit this heinous act? Maria, born in Switzerland in 1821, had worked as a lady’s maid to the wealthy Lady Blantyre, daughter of the Duchess of Sutherland. She became infatuated with luxury and dreaded the prospect of poverty. In 1846, she met Patrick O’Connor during a boat trip to Boulogne. Charmed by him, she suggested they meet again in London. O’Connor, a money-lender and customs officer, courted Maria, but she also had another suitor: Frederick Manning.

Maria faced a dilemma. O’Connor was wealthy but older and a heavy drinker. Frederick, though less affluent, promised a substantial inheritance from his mother. Maria chose Frederick and married him in St. James’s Church, Piccadilly, in May 1847. Unfortunately, the promised inheritance was a lie. Maria began an affair with O’Connor, who frequently visited their home for meals. By 1849, Maria felt she had made the wrong choice and decided to secure O’Connor’s money, leading to the tragic events that unfolded in Bermondsey1.

The Mannings went down in history as the first husband-and-wife duo hanged together in England since 1700. Their grisly tale captured the attention of prominent figures, including Charles Dickens1.

Victorian Prostitution Myths​

While the Victorians are often portrayed as prudish, the reality was more nuanced. One enduring myth claims that there were 80,000 prostitutes in London during that era. However, this figure is contested, and experts have debated its accuracy. London’s population was heading toward 2 million, making such a high number of sex workers unlikely2.

Bermondsey, like other parts of Victorian London, had its share of poverty, vice, and crime. Jacob’s Island, located on the south bank of the Thames, was one such notorious slum. Charles Dickens even featured it in his works, including the tragic demise of Bill Sykes in “Oliver Twist” at Jacob’s Island3.

So, while the Victorians grappled with societal norms and contradictions, Bermondsey’s dark history remains etched in the annals of time, a testament to the complexities of life in that era.

Don't forget The Bermondsey Horror (no, not the current one at The Den)...
:thumbup:

The Bermondsey Horror: Maria Manning and Frederick Manning​

On August 9, 1849, a chilling event unfolded in Bermondsey’s Miniver Place, off Weston Street. The protagonists were Maria Manning, a Swiss maid, and her husband Frederick Manning, a guard on the Great Western Railway. Their guest that fateful evening was Patrick O’Connor, a 50-year-old Irish customs officer.

As the dinner commenced, Maria abruptly shot Patrick O’Connor in the head with a pistol. Remarkably, the bullet did not kill him. Undeterred, Frederick Manning finished the job by bludgeoning O’Connor to death with a crowbar. The gruesome murder shocked Victorian England and became known as the "Bermondsey Horror"1.

But why did Maria and Frederick commit this heinous act? Maria, born in Switzerland in 1821, had worked as a lady’s maid to the wealthy Lady Blantyre, daughter of the Duchess of Sutherland. She became infatuated with luxury and dreaded the prospect of poverty. In 1846, she met Patrick O’Connor during a boat trip to Boulogne. Charmed by him, she suggested they meet again in London. O’Connor, a money-lender and customs officer, courted Maria, but she also had another suitor: Frederick Manning.

Maria faced a dilemma. O’Connor was wealthy but older and a heavy drinker. Frederick, though less affluent, promised a substantial inheritance from his mother. Maria chose Frederick and married him in St. James’s Church, Piccadilly, in May 1847. Unfortunately, the promised inheritance was a lie. Maria began an affair with O’Connor, who frequently visited their home for meals. By 1849, Maria felt she had made the wrong choice and decided to secure O’Connor’s money, leading to the tragic events that unfolded in Bermondsey1.

The Mannings went down in history as the first husband-and-wife duo hanged together in England since 1700. Their grisly tale captured the attention of prominent figures, including Charles Dickens1.

Victorian Prostitution Myths​

While the Victorians are often portrayed as prudish, the reality was more nuanced. One enduring myth claims that there were 80,000 prostitutes in London during that era. However, this figure is contested, and experts have debated its accuracy. London’s population was heading toward 2 million, making such a high number of sex workers unlikely2.

Bermondsey, like other parts of Victorian London, had its share of poverty, vice, and crime. Jacob’s Island, located on the south bank of the Thames, was one such notorious slum. Charles Dickens even featured it in his works, including the tragic demise of Bill Sykes in “Oliver Twist” at Jacob’s Island3.

So, while the Victorians grappled with societal norms and contradictions, Bermondsey’s dark history remains etched in the annals of time, a testament to the complexities of life in that era.
Bermondsey Horror or just a Love Story?

Well it is Valentines Day ;)

I expect Harding to drop out of the back line tonight. JE seems sweet on Tanganga so can’t see him being dropped. If Leonard is fit he should start. We need mobility in our back line and midfield to handle their tricky forwards.

I liked the look of Mayor when he came on. Feel as though we could go to a 4-3-3 with him and Esse either side of Obafemi. Flemming in his usual central role.

The Den, home of Millwall Football Club, is proudly a safe and inclusive area for all those who visit one of London’s most iconic stadia.​

The club continues to highlight its ‘United For Change’ campaign, promoting and striving for equality within our communities.

Nobody should be subject to abuse of any kind and the club has a zero-tolerance policy against discriminatory abuse of any kind.

Should you hear any discriminatory or misogynistic abuse during Wednesday night's match against Ipswich Town, you can use the club's ‘Hear Hate? Don’t Hesitate’ reporting service by texting ‘HATE’ and your message to ***** or by emailing ***** (or just tell them yourself if you feel that strongly)
Fuck off.

Not you OAG, but the club statement.

I can understand the club putting these statements out but it seems every five minutes at a game, and nonstop on social media. Fuck sake Wall enough is enough

Another ref we’ve never heard of! 🤷‍♂️
Millwall v Ipswich Town F.C. (20:00)
SAM BARROTT
Daniel Leach and Adam Crysell
Fourth Official : James Bell

10 years ago on 14 feb my dad died was mad about Millwall like me his ashes are in the memorial garden over the den will go there before the game tomorrow and then go to is plaque in the cbl like I do before every home game would be great if we could win for hime and me come on you lions
The Best reason for us winning tonight. Bless your late Dad mate.
It would have been my own late Dad's birthday today - the man who got me into Millwall.
May they both rest in peace, and the boys play well for them tonight.
To all the Faithful heading to The Den this evening - have a cracking time, and cheer our boys on LOUD and PROUD.
PS.... flipping sitting in Gatwick at the minute, waiting on my flight to Belfast. Absolutely disgusted that I couldn't change plans, flights or meeting to have enabled me to be at the game, but hopefully be home on time to watch on TV.
COYL.

I can understand the club putting these statements out but it seems every five minutes at a game, and nonstop on social media. Fuck sake Wall enough is enough
Is the famous local 'celebrity' who spoiled my Cornflakes this morning our Guest of Honour tonight then? If so be sure to show him a true Millwall welcome.

Looking forward to a night home game, not done one for a few months. I don't expect much result wise to be honest, but we live in hope, and surely the performance will at least be a vast improvement over the reverse fixture at Portman Road, regardless of the result.

When I’m watching at home on Millwall TV, I get a warning about hate speech appear on the screen.
Does mean they have been listening in to my living room?
I’d better tone down the language.🤪

Another ref we’ve never heard of! 🤷‍♂️
Millwall v Ipswich Town F.C. (20:00)
SAM BARROTT
Daniel Leach and Adam Crysell
Fourth Official : James Bell
Of the 39 games he's reffed , prem ,c'ship ,leagues 1 and 2 , apparently he hasn't dished out any yellow or red cards.?????
Either he likes to let the game flow, or he keeps misplacing his cards. Expect that to change tonight. 🤣🤣