Wall V Ipswich Match thread

Rowett didn't have this struggle with these players or the ones that have since left and were worse than this lot. Harris didn't struggle like this either with worse players.
Time to realise that Edwards isn't currently showing he can do the job of a Championship manager.
He might well survive this period and go on to improve but the blame for the last few weeks has to be laid at Edwards/Meyers door.
Not the easy chances our forwards have missed?, or the calamitous mistakes our defenders have made, or even the horrendous ref decisions we’ve taken on the chin. Opinions.

Not the easy chances our forwards have missed?, or the calamitous mistakes our defenders have made, or even the horrendous ref decisions we’ve taken on the chin. Opinions.
Everything that has happened has happened before, it is the way football is.
I really do hope this is the low point of the season and Edwards goes on to do well but we are also at the point where he might undo all the hard work of the last 8 years.

Time to realise that Edwards isn't currently showing he can do the job of a Championship manager.
Yep, he should have cut his teeth on the likes of Sutton United... not our club.

What on earth gave him the presumption (without any actual managerial experience) that he could steer our club better than any of the managers prior or candidates for the position at the time? I can't even say he's doing a bad job... Holloway did a bad job but Edwards is a whole lot worse.

Now that his 'spiel' from his interview about how he is 'the best candidate' has now blown up in his face, he'll just jump ship but this mess still has to be cleared up... hopefully sooner rather than later.

Mark, You're sounding like a Liverpool fan: Always the victim.

Unfortunately, our team is nowhere near as good as Liverpool's and Joe Edwards is no Jürgen Klopp.

Sack him now or when we drop.. either way he gets his payoff. Got no affinity with the club, hasn’t bought into the fans ethos ie Graham, Docherty Jackett, even McGhee to an extent. If he got the bullet I don’t think he’d even blink. Takes no responsibility in interviews after every loss.

Reading between the lines, I think JE has played bertie big bollox.
Denigrating Rowett from the off in interviews, constant name checking. Just f off mate

not once did he mention the lack of fight/heart/desire/spirit and a personal and collective pride that is clearly fucking missing.
He said this after Ipswich

" We’re in that rut where we’re the makers of our own downfall to a point and also we’re in a rut where everything that can go against is going against us and any mistake does end up in the back of the net.

“And what we know about those times is that they do turn. Runs in football, whether it’s a winning run or a losing run, at some point they turn and all you can do is keep believing.

------------------

I didn't see much belief after Ipswich scored thier first. They're human. It's constant, game after game once we concede.. It must suck the life out of them.

Don’t get your answer sorry. Victims?
What I meant was that you appear to think that we are currently the victim of every footballing misfortune going. Injuries, bad referees, no rub of the green playing wise. Everything is conspiring against us.

If all that isn't enough, Edwards' master plan is being undermined by our forwards' missing easy chances and our defenders committing individual errors, which seemingly are punished by a goal each and every time. We can't do anything to change this as we don't have the personnel to do so. None of this is the fault of the manager.

Sorry but I don't buy much of that. I doubt that we have had any more bad luck with injuries, refs, rub of the green than most other C'ship teams. Yes, the forwards have missed a few opportunities but it's not as if we are creating a bag full of chances each game. Yes again, the defenders have committed individual errors but the question is why is this happening and why seemingly more often under Edwards? Yes, Edwards inherited Rowett's squad and it appears that a number of players are either over, at or quickly approaching their 'Use By' dates. However, Edwards knew that he would be stuck with these players in the short term. Which begs the question why risk radically changing a system, which the players appeared comfortable with, to an unfamiliar one which it increasingly appears they don't have the necessary skills to implement in mid-season? Surely such a major change should wait until our C'ship status is secured?

At the end of the day, it's Edwards' responsibility to get the best out of the players and, at the moment, he is failing to do so.

What I meant was that you appear to think that we are currently the victim of every footballing misfortune going. Injuries, bad referees, no rub of the green playing wise. Everything is conspiring against us.

If all that isn't enough, Edwards' master plan is being undermined by our forwards' missing easy chances and our defenders committing individual errors, which seemingly are punished by a goal each and every time. We can't do anything to change this as we don't have the personnel to do so. None of this is the fault of the manager.

Sorry but I don't buy much of that. I doubt that we have had any more bad luck with injuries, refs, rub of the green than most other C'ship teams. Yes, the forwards have missed a few opportunities but it's not as if we are creating a bag full of chances each game. Yes again, the defenders have committed individual errors but the question is why is this happening and why seemingly more often under Edwards? Yes, Edwards inherited Rowett's squad and it appears that a number of players are either over, at or quickly approaching their 'Use By' dates. However, Edwards knew that he would be stuck with these players in the short term. Which begs the question why risk radically changing a system, which the players appeared comfortable with, to an unfamiliar one which it increasingly appears they don't have the necessary skills to implement in mid-season? Surely such a major change should wait until our C'ship status is secured?

At the end of the day, it's Edwards' responsibility to get the best out of the players and, at the moment, he is failing to do so.
On a lighter and positive note let’s have more of this today! 😉

You basically said what I said about missing chances and individual errors and not blaming JE. We had as many chances as Ipswich. As for radically changing the playing style, it’s what he knows so hes gonna implement it. Every pro out our club should be able to adopt it. ITS FOOTBALL nothing more or less. If pros can’t pass, trap, control and move their body to a position to receive a pass, I think they need to change profession. Does he tell the ones who can do it, do it, and the ones who can’t don’t. If they can’t play football get rid. Obviously this season he’s stuck, let’s hope. Like to think he’s looking long term. Just my opinion. I know 90% think it’s bollocks.

I think we’ll turn it around today by being a bit more considered in our play rather than all out attack for 20 mins then getting knackered….. the fans however need to stick together with the team if things start to go against us, no point throwing our toys out of the pram ‘during’ the game screaming at the keeper, manager etc. it just helps the opposition by making our players more nervy.

You basically said what I said about missing chances and individual errors and not blaming JE. We had as many chances as Ipswich. As for radically changing the playing style, it’s what he knows so hes gonna implement it. Every pro out our club should be able to adopt it. ITS FOOTBALL nothing more or less. If pros can’t pass, trap, control and move their body to a position to receive a pass, I think they need to change profession. Does he tell the ones who can do it, do it, and the ones who can’t don’t. If they can’t play football get rid. Obviously this season he’s stuck, let’s hope. Like to think he’s looking long term. Just my opinion. I know 90% think it’s bollocks.
You keep saying that Edwards is right and it's the players fault, the players are Championship players that can pass, trap, control and move their body to a position to receive a pass, they do it every game and have done for years.
It cannot be everyone but Edwards fault, the problem lies with what Edwards is asking of them, he doesn't have De Bruyne, Salah, etc in his squad , when he gets them you can say I told you so but currently he is taking us down with a better squad than Rowett had last season and you cannot excuse him for it.
Most Championship teams cannot score by tip tap nonsense starting form their own 6 yard box unless the players are far superior than the opposition, we cannot keep getting the ball to the forwards only for them to keep passing backwards, this is down to Edwards and Meyers, no one else.

They've been off form but so have many others that have turned up at the Den to end there bad run. Would like to see Wallace, Saville and Leonard start cause they give everything out on the pitch. Over to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

COYL

As requested by @onlyagame

Some history on Berm on sea once known or Beommunds island. It takes it's name from a saxon landowner.

Bermondsey appears in the doomsday book as Burmundsey and Bermundesye, in the hundreds of Brixton and within the County of Surrey.

As it developed over the centuries, Bermondsey underwent many changes. After the great fire of London it was inhabited by the well-to-do, and took on the character of a garden suburb especially along the line of Grange and Bermondsey Wall East as it became more urbanised. A pleasure garden was constructed during the restoration in the 17th century, commemorated by the Cherry Garden Pier.

In 1770 a man named Thomas Keyse discovered a natural spring on land he owned by what is now Spa Road. The discovery of the spring from the river Neckinger in the area led to the development of Bermondsey spa the area between Grange and Jamaica Roads called Spa road commemorates that.

By the mid-19th century, Factories sprang up, most notably Chocolate, Salt, cheese and Hartleys Jam. Parts of Bermondsey, especially along the riverside, had become notorious slums with the arrival of industrial plants, docks and immigrant housing. The area around St. Saviour's Dock, known as Jacobs Island was one of the worst in London. It was immortalised in Charles Dickens novel Oliver Twist.

The area was extensively redeveloped during the 19th century and early 20th century with the expansion of the river trade and the arrival of the railways. London's first passenger railway terminus was built by the London to Greenwich railway company in 1836 at London bridgeThe first section to be used was between Spa road station and Deptford High Street. The station closed by 1915.

The industrial boom of the 19th century was an extension of Bermondsey's manufacturing role in earlier eras. As with the east end industries that were deemed too noisy to be carried on within the narrow confines of the city of London had been located here – one such that came to dominate central Bermondsey, away from the riverfront, was the processing and trading of Leather and hides. Hence Tanner street and Leathermarket street off of long lane.

Peek Frean who many of our families will have worked for was established in 1857 at Dockhead, Bermondsey by James Peek and George Hender Frean. They moved to a larger plant in Clements Road in 1866, leading to the nickname 'Biscuit Town' for Bermondsey, where they continued baking until the brand was discontinued in 1989.

Donkin house on the Rennie estate, Galleywall road is a reminder of the areas history. Blue Anchor Lane, was also the location of the world's first food canning business, established in 1812, by Donkin Hall and Gamble.

Along the riverside Bermondsey was served by wharves and warehouses. This area suffered severe damage in world war 2 and became derelict in the 1960's after the collapse of the once thriving river trade.

Bermondsey's parliamentary representation has fluctuated with its population. Since at least the 13th century, it had formed part of the Surrey County ( one for @Wippa ) seat until the 1868 Reform Act when it became part of the Southwark consistuency.. From 1885 to 1918, a separate consistuency existed, which included part of the older Southwark constituency. 1918 saw the seat split between two new constituencies Rothehithe and Bermondsey west which existed until 1950.

in 1983, the area played host to the famous Bermondsey by election in which Labours Peter Thatchell lost the previously safe Labour seat to the Liberal Simon Hughes. A swing of over 44%, which still remains the largest by-election swing in British political history.

Famous people include-

Tommy Steele,
Michael Barrymore.

Sid Smith-1889 – 1948 who was an English professional boxer. He was the first officially recognised BBB of Control British flyweight champion, holding the title from 1912 to 1913'

Max Bygraves who was born in Paradise street.

That's my lot for now :geek::geek::geek:
You were doin well until you mentioned Barrymore kidda