The farce which is VAR

It wasn't a great game and I thought Utd were second best yesterday, as they were when they were beaten at The Spuds place two weeks ago. They could have quite easily crumbled yesterday...In fact they did; They have made a habit of it away from home with this new Dutch bloke. He has had a few nasty beatings during his tenure.
Think it was wolves outplayed em too

Manure's away form these past couple of seasons makes for good comedy in the article below.
:grinning:

Also in the same article, it is explained quite clearly (as mud) why the chalked off goal was considered offside.

Last edited:
Surely the time has come for var to be binned it really is spoiling our great game. It needs someone from up above to say enough is enough. We have tried and tried to make it work but it just isn’t working. Even the refs have probably had enough of it. If there was a vote to get rif of var im sure the vote to bin it would win.it’s time for the fa to sort this out now because no amount of tinkering will sort this out as it is only going to get worse

It has bought more problems than it has solved. Stopping for checks plus the new extra time means games are dragging on endlessly.

Disagree mate. Look at the Utd goal yesterday. VAR is supposed to put a line across the pitch from the most attacking point of the attacker and most defensive point of the defender. It didn't, it put the line on the defenders body when his head and shoulders further back. The lad was onside, Utd should have won. VAR got that wrong not the officials and that one error could cost millions.

Football is not a freeze frame, slow motion game. They are turning it into a computer game. That is wrong. But, even as a freeze frame, the system still got it wrong.

The other thing with offside (and I know this is really pedantic), the freeze frame can't tell when the ball leaves a players foot. A defender sprinting out and an attacker sprinting forward, how can VAR know definitively the millisecond the ball leaves the players foot? Simple answer, it can't. So again, VAR gets it wrong.

Throw in that it kills that magic moment of goal celebration too and surely that is also wrong.

Human error, incompetence and biased referees drive us all up the wall, but I'd rather Keith Stroud every week than VAR.
I thought the rules of VAR was that there had to be daylight between the attacking player and the last defender?, all these lines between the attackers leading arm and the defenders trailing leg is so last season.

Law 11 - Offside states "A player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent".

According to the PL, "VAR is used only for "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents"

If you look at the freeze frame of the Ars - Man U incident, it is difficult to tell from the red line whether the attacker is offside or not. Any difference is so small that it surely must be within the margin of error. Imo this is the equivalent of 'Umpire's call' in cricket. The original decision was 'goal' and imo that should have been the outcome.

It baffles me why a product is called Football when in actual fact arms and hands are used more in the modern game.
"He only had a minimal tug of his shirt" Football has morphed into Rugby.
And that has caused a misunderstanding of the rules.

By now most fans have read or heard the conversations between the ref & var official , it seems like an.old pals act to me between the two, it there chats don t warrant an independent board of ex pros /officials to do the job nothing will , the present both on & off the field know the written down rules but don t have an idea about playing in a game or its actions and that's where the system breaks down......How many ex pros would have given the Man city goal or not given the penalty forWolves....as I have said before VAR is a job for the boys and now we have up to 6 officials getting it totally wrong costing clubs goals & possibly points and all they get is a belated "sorry"

Can't get rid of VAR what would sly have to talk about 7 days a week.im sure along with the transfer window they are behind it