The farce which is VAR

Phlion54

yet again a major cock up by the officials at the Man city / Fulham game,
How the city player was not offside & inferring with play is a complete joke , time now for some serious changes in Var ..
1. Need a Ex pro in the box to give a proper footballing view on incidents
i 2. Need the incompetent officials to be suspended for a longer period and apologize to the club involved and explain how they came to the decision they made public
lots of talk from the Referees boss but nothing changes ..in fact its getting worse, these are people's livelihood they are messing about with and could result in relegation ,cup lose,revenue loss so something as to be done and stop them from hiding behind their whistles & flags

I remember De Bryne doing a post match interview last season. He was asked about a goal that was scrubbed off for offside, his reply was that the players no longer knew the rules. There must be several different definitions of offside now. The suits just can;t leave the game alone and allow for human error both from players and officials. A player can make a bad pass or miss a sitter and hardly nothing is said but when a ref makes an error he's getting it from all angles.

The game is corrupt where the suits are involved and VAR is the best tool for their corruption, the gambling industry is too close to sport and Sky, who run and control football are the biggest bookies out there when it comes to sport.

More accountability by the referees should be a pre-requisite, and no 'hiding' behind the F.A officials/ignorance. The trouble is, the 'system' to me seems to have it's favourites and they're not even coy about their non apology attitude.

If V.A.R is not doing the job it's supposed to do, it has 2 choices:
(1) Remove it altogether or
(2) Upgrade the system e.g more cameras at elevated levels and more random 'behind the scenes officials to avoid bias decisions... I mean c'mon, there is some serious money in that league, they should have a pool of people to call upon for these games and pay them to turn up and do a decent job.

I think the reason they don't, is so they can keep their 'pets' properly financed!

Any player in an off side position IS interfering with play. It affects where defenders positions themselves. Even if the attacker is currently not involved you have to take into account that they may make a run as play moves forward. VAR causes more stoppages in games than players wasting time. Get rid of it.

Last edited:
Brian Clough once said “if you are on the pitch in an offside position then you are interfering with play”. I agree with the great man.

More accountability by the referees should be a pre-requisite, and no 'hiding' behind the F.A officials/ignorance. The trouble is, the 'system' to me seems to have it's favourites and they're not even coy about their non apology attitude.

If V.A.R is not doing the job it's supposed to do, it has 2 choices:
(1) Remove it altogether or
(2) Upgrade the system e.g more cameras at elevated levels and more random 'behind the scenes officials to avoid bias decisions... I mean c'mon, there is some serious money in that league, they should have a pool of people to call upon for these games and pay them to turn up and do a decent job.

I think the reason they don't, is so they can keep their 'pets' properly financed!
VAR is not the problem it’s the application of it by incompetent officials.

And this!

VAR is the problem though mate. Human error occurs real time, now we have human error aided by slow motion replays, wonky lines and faceless officials. Look at the WC, there were 6 people monitoring VAR and it still made an error within minutes of the first game.

It's a game ffs played by humans and officiated by humans, VAR is turning into virtual reality. Its shit and another reason I hate modern football.

VAR is the problem though mate. Human error occurs real time, now we have human error aided by slow motion replays, wonky lines and faceless officials. Look at the WC, there were 6 people monitoring VAR and it still made an error within minutes of the first game.

It's a game ffs played by humans and officiated by humans, VAR is turning into virtual reality. Its shit and another reason I hate modern football.
Yes but the common denominator is still human error. Remember the computer saying GIGO? Garbage In Garbage Out.

That's what annoys me about VAR.If a ref makes a mistake, I might be annoyed about it but I'll put it down to human error - nobody's perfect and all that. Or I'll assume that the ref's a cunt. But that's how it goes in football, you have to take it. But I can't understand how a bunch of suits can look at something obvious for 3 minutes or so and still get it wrong. VAR still makes loads of mistakes but they just feel alot worse

Last edited:
Brian Clough once said “if you are on the pitch in an offside position then you are interfering with play”. I agree with the great man.
I hate to be pedantic, but I think he actually said if you are in an offside position and not interfering with play, you shouldn’t be on the pitch. Small difference.

Secondly, defences will push up to try and trap people offside. That is pointless if the goal is going to be given anyway, like yesterday.

Shall we have a sweepstake to guess when, and if, a ref is called over to look at the monitor and sticks with their original decision?

To the best of my knowledge I don’t think that’s happened yet🤷‍♂️

Shall we have a sweepstake to guess when, and if, a ref is called over to look at the monitor and sticks with their original decision?

To the best of my knowledge I don’t think that’s happened yet🤷‍♂️
I guess that shouldn't happen really, should it?
The ref gets called to look at the monitor when VAR thinks he's made an error.
So, theoretically, he should be changing that decision.

I hate to be pedantic, but I think he actually said if you are in an offside position and not interfering with play, you shouldn’t be on the pitch. Small difference.

Secondly, defences will push up to try and trap people offside. That is pointless if the goal is going to be given anyway, like yesterday.
Ooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get rid of it , bad refereeing creates a talking point after the game. Evens out over a. Year. What I hate now is players going down to kill time or basically cheating by holding their head. They know it will stop attacks etc.

Members online