The farce which is VAR

Yes but the common denominator is still human error. Remember the computer saying GIGO? Garbage In Garbage Out.
Disagree mate. Look at the Utd goal yesterday. VAR is supposed to put a line across the pitch from the most attacking point of the attacker and most defensive point of the defender. It didn't, it put the line on the defenders body when his head and shoulders further back. The lad was onside, Utd should have won. VAR got that wrong not the officials and that one error could cost millions.

Football is not a freeze frame, slow motion game. They are turning it into a computer game. That is wrong. But, even as a freeze frame, the system still got it wrong.

The other thing with offside (and I know this is really pedantic), the freeze frame can't tell when the ball leaves a players foot. A defender sprinting out and an attacker sprinting forward, how can VAR know definitively the millisecond the ball leaves the players foot? Simple answer, it can't. So again, VAR gets it wrong.

Throw in that it kills that magic moment of goal celebration too and surely that is also wrong.

Human error, incompetence and biased referees drive us all up the wall, but I'd rather Keith Stroud every week than VAR.

Disagree mate. Look at the Utd goal yesterday. VAR is supposed to put a line across the pitch from the most attacking point of the attacker and most defensive point of the defender. It didn't, it put the line on the defenders body when his head and shoulders further back. The lad was onside, Utd should have won. VAR got that wrong not the officials and that one error could cost millions.

Football is not a freeze frame, slow motion game. They are turning it into a computer game. That is wrong. But, even as a freeze frame, the system still got it wrong.

The other thing with offside (and I know this is really pedantic), the freeze frame can't tell when the ball leaves a players foot. A defender sprinting out and an attacker sprinting forward, how can VAR know definitively the millisecond the ball leaves the players foot? Simple answer, it can't. So again, VAR gets it wrong.

Throw in that it kills that magic moment of goal celebration too and surely that is also wrong.

Human error, incompetence and biased referees drive us all up the wall, but I'd rather Keith Stroud every week than VAR.
Still would of been 3-2

What makes Football good for discussion is that it's about a million opinions....
And we all agree, it should be about opinions, including the officials live.
Of course, with VAR it's mostly about forensics, slide rules, technology and micro examinations. But you are still going to get opinions on that.

Saying all that, I will agree with 'Mike Dean' and judging by the angle above, it does seem that it was offside. Below is his opinions on the two big decisions yesterday:

Funny enough, if it wasn't for VAR and recent, absolutely outrageous decisions,
Utd would have turned up yesterday with two points on the board. A bit of Karma involved, I think.
:grinning:

It wasn't a great game and I thought Utd were second best yesterday, as they were when they were beaten at The Spuds place two weeks ago. They could have quite easily crumbled yesterday...In fact they did; They have made a habit of it away from home with this new Dutch bloke. He has had a few nasty beatings during his tenure.

And you were doing so well till the end. 😎

Still would of been 3-2
Wouldn't have been though would It. 2-1 on 87 minutes United shut up shop maybe don't concede and they win. Maybe United hit Arsenal on the counter when they are pushing for an equalizer and win 3-1. What certainly wouldn't have happened Is United going 2-1 up and then throwing everyone forward In Injury time leaving themselves wide open at the back for Arsenal to score on the 95 minute like the did, and had to do. Arsenal were the better team but United were stitched up by VAR because the system and the way It Is used Is fundamentally flawed.

The lad was onside, Utd should have won. VAR got that wrong not the officials and that one error could cost millions.
On the other hand, VAR denied Wolves a penalty when the United goalkeeper clearly fouled their forward. That could cost Wolves very dearly.

Anyway, I think the main point is that we should not even be discussing this. If the system worked, we wouldn't be.
The review system in cricket rarely gets talked about at all. I know there was THAT catch. In general that system works well and goes largely under the radar.

Shall we have a sweepstake to guess when, and if, a ref is called over to look at the monitor and sticks with their original decision?

To the best of my knowledge I don’t think that’s happened yet🤷‍♂️
Happened once and by yesterday's referee ,gave goal and the gormless var official said have a look ,he did and still have it but many rely on the idiots behind the scenes instead of their own convictions