The definitive new manager speculation thread

I agree and am mindful of that. There's a section of our fanbase that in my opinion expect too much and are more a hindrance than help to the mangement and team. Not making the play offs is being deemed as a failure and naturally there has to be a scapegoat. It won't be easy for any manager coming in that doesn't match the boo boys expectations.

I will say it again cause it's relevant to subject in hand. To hear what was sung by a section of our own support at Rowett during the Norwich game was completely counter productive, shocking, shameful and fucking disgraceful.

It was a real low point for me in my 40 plus years of going. It may well be shit to some but he's done nothing but good for our club. Defended us when he didn't have to say anything when the press were doing another job on us over the knee bollox.

Prospective managers see that and think fuck managing that lot. We are one bad appointment away from a relegation. One poor run of results away from seeing another manager publicly humiliated in front of his players and employer.

I think we've gone as far as we can go in this division. We've hit our ceiling and without a huge dollop of good fortune and luck we won't go any further. I can live with and accept that. What concerns me is the fans that can't and won't.
He was treated disgracefully. I knew Gary when he was at Cambridge. I was mates with Liam Daish. Gary came for a booze a couple of times. Nice bloke he was. Very grounded. I couldn't give a fuck what division we're in, it was always about camaraderie and siege mentality back in the day am I right? 2 Bob cunts slating everything in sight was shunned and dealt with. I didn't support Wall to win things. It was much more than that and lasted every waking hour. What I hear sometimes makes me not want to go back. How fuckin sad is that!?!?!?!

Apparently Beale doesn’t want it.
Sweet.

Ralph Hasenhüttl. I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned other than no one can pronounce his name. He was unfortunate to lose his job when they were in the premier league, and they've struggled replacing him since he left.
Might be out of our price range. May also be waiting for something a bit higher up. I wouldn't say no, all the same. There's a lot that i like about him and he has a decent CV and tries to adopt the Klopp style focussed on attack. He's also managed lower down the food chain which saw him guide his club to promotion. He was a striker too which would be a relief and welcome change from having a coaching that consists of defenders.

This is his view below on how the game should be played. The one stumbling block and question that comes to mind is could he implement his style with out current squad? Or does that require spending a lot of dough?

He outlined what he wants to see from his team as "Pressing. Hunting. Be hungry. When you have the ball, find a quick decision, quick transition to the front. It's about being emotional, being full of passion. Also, keep the tempo on a high level and don't slow down the game. That's what I think the people want to see."[37]

Get Aldo on the case we've got our man :smoke: :wahey::cup:

Sweet.

Might be out of our price range. May also be waiting for something a bit higher up. I wouldn't say no, all the same. There's a lot that i like about him and he has a decent CV and tries to adopt the Klopp style focussed on attack. He's also managed lower down the food chain which saw him guide his club to promotion. He was a striker too which would be a relief and welcome change from having a coaching that consists of defenders.

This is his view below on how the game should be played. The one stumbling block and question that comes to mind is could he implement his style with out current squad? Or does that require spending a lot of dough?

He outlined what he wants to see from his team as "Pressing. Hunting. Be hungry. When you have the ball, find a quick decision, quick transition to the front. It's about being emotional, being full of passion. Also, keep the tempo on a high level and don't slow down the game. That's what I think the people want to see."[37]

Get Aldo on the case we've got our man :smoke: :wahey::cup:
If our team tried to play like that they’ll be knackered inside 10 minutes 🤦‍♂️

He was treated disgracefully.
He was and what made it worse for me was he personally defended us fans when he could have stayed stchum. I was also told by my man in the carpark that Rowett was an absolute rock and godsend to a number of club staff during the mourning of Mr Berylson and that he went beyond the call of duty to support and counsel some of our younger players that were deeply affected by there loss of someone that they had a close and tight bond with.

By all accounts Mr Berylson was some what a father figure to the players. He took interest in them on a personal level and was big on motivating and helping them in how to make the best of there talent. It can't of been easy to just switch off from that and play football. Yet the players were being booed and cunted 10 minutes in to the Bristol game. Fifteen minutes prior to the game starting nearly to a man the whole crowd was in tears as they paid there last respects to our leader,our adopted brother and father figure.

Along with having to deal with the emotional impact of Mr Berylsons passing Rowett also had a team to prepare, players to bring in and all in limited time. Not once since the first ball was kicked this season has any of what Rowett and the players had to deal with been taken into consideration by the boo boys. Not once have they done what Mr Berylson would have wanted and what he loved about us. That is to pull up the drawbridge and stick together.

Not ten minutes after James Berylson giving the rallying call to us

“This will mark the start of a new era, one in which we will strive to fulfill dad’s legacy.

“We are Millwall. We are family.”

He and his family had to sit and listen to our players and manager being loudly
What I hear sometimes makes me not want to go back. How fuckin sad is that!?!?!?!
You are not the only one mate. A lot of regulars from our age group/ generartion have turned it in. Where i sit in block two there was a group of around 10-15 chaps when all out that sat behind me. All season ticket holders and long term mates from the PO and Trains. Went away regular too. Over the last two/ three year that group has dwindled to 3 and 4 at most. The rest have had enough and binned it off after going for 40 odd year.
. I knew Gary when he was at Cambridge. I was mates with Liam Daish. Gary came for a booze a couple of times. Nice bloke he was. Very grounded.
I have no doubts he was. He comes across that way. I've never detected a bit of smugness or ego that you get with many other managers.

I couldn't give a fuck what division we're in,
Same here now mate but i've done my time. Millwall has always been about the the social aspect and a tear up first and formost for me. The tear up has long gone but Wall is still a big part of keeping friendships going. I know we're all different but i think if i was more concerned about the quality of football being served up i would have stopped going in 1982 :grinning:

I think most of us of a certain age appreciate our place in the championship more than our younger fans cause it's something we weren't accustomed to but the youngens are and want more. I think that's where a lot of the impatience and lack of realism comes from-the youngens and it's expressed at the team through frustration .We've spent 13 of the last 15 seasons in the championship. Next season will ten years since our last relegation. I've seen us drop down leagues five times, nearly go bankrupt and out of existence. We're getting 3 and 4 times the crowds that i experienced in the late 70's which was the begiining of my journey. Remember being in the bottom three nearly all season. The Den toxic and crowds down to 4 and 5k. Fucking won our last 5 games and stayed up.

Next season we spent 90% of that in the bottom three. Third last game was the Vermin at home. We won in front of decent crowd. Two weeks later we played Preston in front of less than 3k and were relegated. I remember my old man turning to me and saying i told we can be shit, this ain't the last time thryr'll put you through this bollox. He weren't wrong!!!

The Vermin game was my first one my old man let me go to- on the proviso i didn't tell my old dear if he hits anyone ' in defence '. He hit several people after on Ilderton road :grinning: I had a scarf on and we copped a bit of abuse from a few vermin so my old man and my mates dad weighed them in. I also got a couple of quid from my old man which was obviously a sweetner.

I already hated them cause one of my best mates was the younger brother of Ian that died at the hands of vermin in New cross in 76. To this day i can't be any where near one of them or left alone in a room if i know they're vermin. It broke Steven my mate/ Ians little brother. I more or less decided that i'd be his brother and looked after him at school and on the estate cause i was older than him by six months.. We used plan for the day we was big enough for a pay back.

He spent the next few years in shock. He never got over it and sadly in his adult years he endured years of battling drug and alcohol addiction. It's fair to say that because of all of that i have always done him proud when it's come to them. When i was in my prime and active i went to several London Derby's featuring them, any opportunities i got i took.

I had Chelsea and Arsenal mates from Walworth that also liked a row so went with a handful of Wall and 20 odd Walworth bods to Chelsea v Vermin. All in the 80's. Proper went off near Lotts road and i had a field day. I clumped everything that was in reach. Same event and probably by now a handful of times i'd seen Pennant. He was front row when they came around the corner firm handed, about a minute later after it popped he was sparko on the deck.

I see him in the same position licking the tarmac when i went with DW. black fella that got down wall and a load of Walworth Gooners to there game against the vermin. Arsenall had a top top firm then and the numbers. Vermin showed but got fucking ruined. The gooners were a tidy mob for a while and kept things to themselves.

The ‘Gary Rowett your football is shit’ song is hands down one of the muggiest divvy songs ever heard at Millwall. It is exactly the sort of thing you would expect a bunch of gimps like Stoke or Sheffield Wednesday would sing, not us. When I went to West Brom a few weeks ago there was a bunch of pissed up pricks in bad jeans and earrings walking around Birmingham new street singing it like a bunch of fucking northerners at shoppers and ordinary folk, this was before the game as well. What an absolute embarrassment but these strings thought it was both edgy and hilarious.

After the defeat the other night part of me couldn’t help but think that a lot of our fans had gotten exactly what they deserved. I don’t know how some have the gall to even complain, after all they got what they wanted.

They wanted the manager gone, they got it. They wanted Burey, Evans and Long out of the club, they got it. They wanted Bart in goal, they got it. They wanted more game time for the two young lads, they got it. They wanted a back four, they got it. They wanted the latest fall guy Campbell out of the side and they even got that too. Yet they still aren’t happy, could it be that Rowett was doing a decent job all along and that they were actually talking out of their arses?

It shows no signs of abating either. At Preston on Saturday within five minutes of the match starting Campbell was getting slaughtered with dogs abuse, and who is sitting in the middle of it? His family, some of whom had travelled down from Scotland to watch him. Think about that for a moment, how that would feel to listen to your son, brother, dad or uncle getting abused like that. It maybe a coincidence but he didn’t make the side on Tuesday and the divs get their way again, a player who was part of a promotion winning squad last year whose experience could be vital singled out for reasons no one knows.

We have a narcissistic toxic element among our fanbase, led by the podcasters, YouTubers and social media wallys who seem to spend every waking hour criticising every facet of pointless news and click bait in the hope of more likes and follows. Never mind the Bristol City game, the players and manager was getting abuse after 20 minutes of a pre season friendly then roundly booed off at HT. I don’t know why the club are even bothering with trying to get a new manager, they should just pop into the comments section on a lions tv video, that’s where all the experts are.

Where we go from here fuck knows but I’m sure of one thing, whoever is stupid enough to take the job will be given a month or two and then the whole sorry process will no doubt start again. Someone give us a shout when the armchair army decides the new bloke is tactically clueless, playing players out of position, refusing to play the youngsters and only picking his favourites while falling out with the squad and applying for other jobs,

(Peckham hope your feeling better soon mate.)

The ‘Gary Rowett your football is shit’ song is hands down one of the muggiest divvy songs ever heard at Millwall. It is exactly the sort of thing you would expect a bunch of gimps like Stoke or Sheffield Wednesday would sing, not us. When I went to West Brom a few weeks ago there was a bunch of pissed up pricks in bad jeans and earrings walking around Birmingham new street singing it like a bunch of fucking northerners at shoppers and ordinary folk, this was before the game as well. What an absolute embarrassment but these strings thought it was both edgy and hilarious.

After the defeat the other night part of me couldn’t help but think that a lot of our fans had gotten exactly what they deserved. I don’t know how some have the gall to even complain, after all they got what they wanted.

They wanted the manager gone, they got it. They wanted Burey, Evans and Long out of the club, they got it. They wanted Bart in goal, they got it. They wanted more game time for the two young lads, they got it. They wanted a back four, they got it. They wanted the latest fall guy Campbell out of the side and they even got that too. Yet they still aren’t happy, could it be that Rowett was doing a decent job all along and that they were actually talking out of their arses?

It shows no signs of abating either. At Preston on Saturday within five minutes of the match starting Campbell was getting slaughtered with dogs abuse, and who is sitting in the middle of it? His family, some of whom had travelled down from Scotland to watch him. Think about that for a moment, how that would feel to listen to your son, brother, dad or uncle getting abused like that. It maybe a coincidence but he didn’t make the side on Tuesday and the divs get their way again, a player who was part of a promotion winning squad last year whose experience could be vital singled out for reasons no one knows.

We have a narcissistic toxic element among our fanbase, led by the podcasters, YouTubers and social media wallys who seem to spend every waking hour criticising every facet of pointless news and click bait in the hope of more likes and follows. Never mind the Bristol City game, the players and manager was getting abuse after 20 minutes of a pre season friendly then roundly booed off at HT. I don’t know why the club are even bothering with trying to get a new manager, they should just pop into the comments section on a lions tv video, that’s where all the experts are.

Where we go from here fuck knows but I’m sure of one thing, whoever is stupid enough to take the job will be given a month or two and then the whole sorry process will no doubt start again. Someone give us a shout when the armchair army decides the new bloke is tactically clueless, playing players out of position, refusing to play the youngsters and only picking his favourites while falling out with the squad and applying for other jobs,

:tophat:

Excellent post.

Where we go from herzsse fuck knows but I’m sure of one thing, whoever is stupid enough to take the job will be given a month or two and then the whole sorry process will no doubt start again.
This is my concern too. I mentioned in another thread about some of the behaviour by fans being nothing but an act of self harm. If those that were humiliating Rowett at Norwich see there actions as job done then it'll happen again and again anytime they're not happy.

With the fear of getting chored/ banned/ a stretch inside there's not much chance of anybody putting these cunts in order with a dig or two. We are at a crossroads at the moment. Our fanbase is clearly evolving and sadly reflects the negative societal changes that we're seeing. Self entitlement and a constant need of self gratification.

And yours Peckham. Great posts, although I read War & Peace quicker 🤣
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Top post mate.

Cheers mate. Much appreciated!!

A very good post and very difficult to disagree with what you are saying, some of our fans start slating the team before even five minutes have passed, really don't get it, I have never shouted abuse or loudly criticised one of our players on match day, for me that is what the forum is for, this is where I vent my frustration at my teams performance, people can either agree, disagree or give a different opinion, on match days the only players getting grief from us should be the opposition, we should always get behind our own!

I really don't understand the 'Entertaining football' = Heavy defeats/Relegation.

I think GR as an individual was a decent enough fella and added more stability with top half finishes and I am grateful for that, but the watching magnolia dry on a nondescript new build football was enough for me after 4 years.

I like to be entertained every now and again for my 30 quid, especially has I couldn't get to most games.I am not nieve enough to think we will play scintillating football with a certain panache although would be nice to see us hammer a team once in a while with some get you off your arse moments.I can take a defeat if the team have put the work and effort in in trying to play a bit and even lose to a better team.

Good post Ilderton along with Peckham's missive....I wanted to write something along the same lines, but in truth I ain't got the energy and quite happy to 'Like' with a short comment.