The championship chit chat thread

I wouldn't be against for the fans that wanted it and for the youngens that weren't around in 88. I'd be happy in whatever league we are capable of competing in be it the one we're in or the conference.
its win win, we go up for a year, get the money, big games etc, but if we don't, remember that the away is full nearly every week in the championship. that's why its 10 times better than league one. every single game - bar none - in this league feels big. you honestly can't say that for league one.

its win win, we go up for a year, get the money, big games etc, but if we don't, remember that the away is full nearly every week in the championship. that's why its 10 times better than league one. every single game - bar none - in this league feels big. you honestly can't say that for league one.
It is said that the championship is in 3rd place in the world behind the prem and bundesliga. However I think the Championship is above both of those as far as good games of competitive and exciting football goes.

Now that we are doing well and getting much more publicity I’d like the club to introduce a smart dress code at all matches including friendlies. Supporters to wear a nice suit with a matching tie and highly polished shoes. On extra cold days an overcoat of good quality would be permitted.
Trilby, Pork Pie hat or Flat cap.
Asking for a friend.

Wall now 8/11 fourth favourites behind Burnley Sheffield United and boro to finish in the top six .

9/2 to be promoted fifth favourites with Norwich fourth favourites behind the top three.

Even the bookies bottle is starting to flap.
We were 20/1 to reach the play offs in September .

Must fancy Boro 11/10 to catch the blades 2/7 for second automatic place now, especially when you look at blades run in .

Last edited:
Peckham,

I understand how venture capitalists work! I know we are/will pay his company back with interest, but to avoid the scenario you’ve outlined, isn’t it better for us as a club to profit from being in the PL? Make enough money so when JB does indeed fuck off and takes what he’s owed, we will still have money left over to survive without taking out any more loans!

Regardless of what money JB makes when he departs, I find you saying “Fuck him!” surprising, as I’ve always thought you were positive towards him. In the past, whenever posters on here have praised JB for his financial backing and well running of the club, you’ve often hit the ’Like’ button, so for you to say “Fuck him!” makes me wonder if your allegiance to him has changed somewhat? For me personally, as long as he doesn’t leave the club in financial peril (doesn’t sell us to spivs and chancers), he can go off with his money with all of my best wishesI

I think you’re the first poster on here who has come out and said that about Flemming. To be honest, I don’t know if the club did buy him specifically as a re-sale. I had always thought that GR went after Flemming for his talent as a footballer, and the fact that he couldn’t buy anyone as good, for the same amount of money in this country?

If we don’t go up this season, then hopefully Flemming will be just as good, if not better, in his 2nd season with us! If, after his 2nd season and we haven’t gone up, then I guess selling the Dutchman for £30M would be the next best option! Then, as you say, use that money to buy other gems from abroad and rinse and repeat!

I agree with you that the club is part of the community that most of us were born into. I pretty much said something similar in one of my responses to you, and like you have/would follow the club, regardless of what division we were in! Where we disagree is your point that if we go up, it all changes because the accessibility and the fabric of the club changes!

I was heartened by Kavanagh’s email, stating that next season, ST prices are only going up, across the board, by 5%. That is a fantastic
gesture from the club, especially if we did get promotion this season! Of course, if we got a 2nd season in the Prem, the prices would shoot up somewhat, but I honestly believe that JB and Kavanagh actually do ‘get us,’ and understand that in the world we live in today, with everyone short of money, that it’s imperative the club realise they cannot alienate the core support of the supporters by putting ST prices up beyond their means of paying!

There could be an added bonus that a price increase of 5% to watch Prem football next season (if it happens), is also good for the fair weather supporter, who might suddenly think that this small increase is acceptable, if he/she can watch the likes of Man U, City, Chelsea, etc. playing at The Den every two weeks! That in itself brings in more revenue for the club!

You say there’s no point having a team in the top league if you can‘t compete! Nobody will know that till we get there! None of us know how much transfer money JB will unlock to give to GR to buy new players for the Prem! I honestly can’t see JB doing ‘a Forest’ and spending upwards of £150M on new players, as that would be ridiculous! He might surprise us and give GR ‘only’ say, £20M (which we’ve never had before), to look abroad for quality players like Flemming, and if that keeps us in the Prem for a 2nd year, it would be money well spent in relation to what the club would get back financially. Equally, if we were relegated after that 1st season, the parachute money would help off set that £20M outlay (and new players wages), and give us a chance to get back to the Prem at the first time of asking!

This is what’s happened in the past with the likes of Bournemouth and Fulham, and this season, Burnley. Every time a club gets re promoted to the Prem they get the windfall of £100M+, just for getting there. If a club can manage a re promotion for a few seasons, then one year, the club suddenly finds itself surviving for more than a season in the Prem, and eventually (as what happened with Palace), the club can get to a position where it can consolidate itself as a Prem club, for a number of years (just as we’ve consolidated ourselves for the past 6 seasons as a Championship club!) Naturally, none of that works if they do away with the parachute payments before we’re promoted, but it’s a method that’s worked for many clubs, and could for us, if all the stars align properly!

Yes, I agree with you that players like Morison, Harris, Sheringham, etc. did come from non league, but when some of them moved up a couple of divisions into our league 1 sides, it didn’t seem to throw them! Maybe the Championship would be one division too high for a non league player, but we’ll never know that until GR buys one and plays him!

In the past, yes, we have gone in up/down cycles, but next season, we will have been in the Championship for 7 straight seasons, and that’s helped us improve to the point where JB is giving GR some decent transfer money to invest in the team. I doubt JB would have done that if he didn’t feel confident that GR was building something whereby we could compete to go up!

A hundred million? So promotion for you is now about getting some dough back for JB! Very decent of you!

Firstly, his company Chestnut hill ventures lends us money, they're not the fairy god mother or tooth falry so we pay it back with interest.They are venture capitalists, they do nothing for nothing,

Secondly, we are sitting on very expensive prime land five minutes from the city, he'll get his money back and more. He and his family ventured and they will capitalise very nicely with the regen. Like i said, he ain't the fairy god mother and i, you or anyone else connected to Millwall owe him absolutely fuck all.
You might turn out to be right but I'm surprised you havn't allowed yourself the option of JB or family writing off the loans at some stage in the future.
It might well be 20 years down the line when they have made plenty from the regen but the fact that the family are philanthropists and not more like a hedge fund does suggest that we might benefit from the situation as well.

Can you show me where that is. Fuck em all is what i said.
My apologies, Peckham. I’ve looked back on your post and the following is what you said:

“Like i said, he ain't the fairy god mother and i, you or anyone else connected to Millwall owe him absolutely fuck all.”

I misinterpreted your “fuck all” to mean “fuck him” which is why I made the comment that I was surprised you didn’t think much of him!

I was wrong in my assumption, so please accept my apology!

I don’t think our fanbase would change that much for one reason. Our ground ain’t big enough. Our ground would be full every week but not with happy clappers. It would be full with millwall who go regularly now and millwall who pick and choose now. More than a couple of season up there and it may change though. I’ll agree with tht b

My apologies, Peckham. I’ve looked back on your post and the following is what you said:

“Like i said, he ain't the fairy god mother and i, you or anyone else connected to Millwall owe him absolutely fuck all.”

I misinterpreted your “fuck all” to mean “fuck him” which is why I made the comment that I was surprised you didn’t think much of him!

I was wrong in my assumption, so please accept my apology!

No worries :tophat:

I don’t think our fanbase would change that much for one reason. Our ground ain’t big enough. Our ground would be full every week but not with happy clappers. It would be full with millwall who go regularly now and millwall who pick and choose now. More than a couple of season up there and it may change though. I’ll agree with tht b
I think that's right. Season ticket sales would be through the roof, with little scope for day trippers.