The championship chit chat thread

No doubt looking for a hefty "avoid relegation" bonus to boost his pension pot, then walk away in May.
Shrewd to appoint him after the transfer window closes. He can't bankrupt them with 13 over priced journeymen.
Fuck me I'm a cynical old git aren't I?
It should be a real test of his coaching and motivational skills.
Games are coming thick and fast now, so he won't have much time to get things right.
Didn't they lose to Wigan on Saturday?

No doubt looking for a hefty "avoid relegation" bonus to boost his pension pot, then walk away in May.
Shrewd to appoint him after the transfer window closes. He can't bankrupt them with 13 over priced journeymen.
Fuck me I'm a cynical old git aren't I?
It should be a real test of his coaching and motivational skills.
Games are coming thick and fast now, so he won't have much time to get things right.
Didn't they lose to Wigan on Saturday?
Huddersfield owner is hoping to sell soon and it seems they only want a manager for the rest of the season before new people come in so I can't imagine there are any managers good enough to keep them up who would accept a 3 month contract.
Not sure if the sale is dependent on them being a Championship club next season, could be a bleak future if they are relegated and have no new owners in sight.

Boro are looking good under Michael Carrick. Currently 3-1 up away at Sheffield united who've just had their manager sent off. Only helpful result for us tonight is Lton drawing at Preston who got a late equaliser from the penalty spot. A certain Troy Parrot gand etting the goal.

This division is crazy and super competetive. We're currently eighth, one point off the play offs, go a few games without picking up points and we'd be six points off the bottom eight.

Think some people have been getting to carried away with our healthy position. This season i think this division isn';t as strong as years gone by. The perennial yoyo clubs aren''t as strong hence us flirting with the top six albeit with a small squad and without a decent striker. We're only ever a suspension or injury away from being bang average.

Last edited:
Always hopeful but I think most of us know
Boro are looking good under Michael Carrick. Currently 3-1 up away at Sheffield united who've just had their manager sent off. Only helpful result for us tonight is Lton drawing at Preston who got a late equaliser from the penalty spot. A certain Troy Parrot gand etting the goal.

This division is crazy and super competetive. We're currently eighth, one point off the play offs, go a few games without picking up points and we'd be six points off the bottom eight.

Think some people have been getting to carried away with our healthy position. This season i think this division isn';t as strong as years gone by. The perennial yoyo clubs aren''t as strong hence us flirting with the top six albeit with a small squad and without a decent striker. We're only ever a suspension or injury away from being bang average.
We should always be hopeful, but I think all of us on the whole are realistic enough to know that we don’t have the quality to make the playoffs.
Still a few players short of what is needed but what this squad lack in quality they make up for in effort and fight.
The side looked weary v Coventry but never gave up.
Don’t be surprised to see a good wall type performance v blades , need a big vocal performance from the fans, still don’t think we have been at our best.
I think GR now need’s to and probably will know he has to freshen it up and make us a little less predictable in a few areas of our game.
Shit or bust Mr Rowett you have done a fantastic job with the cards you have been dealt but I would love to see you gamble on Saturday and maybe install some self doubt in there heads after losing at home to a rapidly improving Boro tonight. COYL
That said still been an enjoyable season so far, relegation hopefully avoided let’s have a go at the top two at home.
WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Rather not make the playoffs, and really go for it next season than get battered in the semis by boro or someone imagine even losing the final, I was devastated losing our leauge 1 final back in the day

and make us a little less predictable in a few areas of our game.
He's said countless times that we just don't have the players to play an all out attacking and possesion based game. I think pretty much all of us would agree with him on that. Small steps, look where we were three seasons ago to now, not sure many of us would have predicted us being in and around the play off spots.

As i said, the club have a plan albeit hindered by financial restrictions and rules. We are going in the right direction whilst not gambling our entire existence on what is, in my opinion a pipe dream.

He's said countless times that we just don't have the players to play an all out attacking and possesion based game. I think pretty much all of us would agree with him on that. Small steps, look where we were three seasons ago to now, not sure many of us would have predicted us being in and around the play off spots.

As i said, the club have a plan albeit hindered by financial restrictions and rules. We are going in the right direction whilst not gambling our entire existence on what is, in my opinion a pipe dream.
Spot on mate , the people who watch us regularly would know this .
But fuck Sheffield United would love to see us smash them at home and throw caution to the wind.
And they can stick their stainless steel up there arse.

Rather not make the playoffs, and really go for it next season than get battered in the semis by boro or someone imagine even losing the final, I was devastated losing our leauge 1 final back in the day
This.

If we get to the play offs and either go out in the home and away rounds (or get beaten in the final), the fact that we got there under Rowett (after just over 3 years of managing us), would show JB that we just need a bit more investment to hopefully challenge for the top two league positions next season.

A left back/left wing back, a creative midfielder and another forward, and I reckon that dream of automatic promotion could just come true!

If we score first we're a match and threat to any team in this league. Go a goal down to the likes of Sheffield, Burnley, Sunderland and you could be chasing shadows and run ragged. They get the ball from back to front very quickly and with ease at times. Rowetts tactics in these games have been spot on, we're a horrible team to play against, he's a wiley manager that knows our strenghts and weaknesses very well.

Think Burnley had a toughie today, just 2 on target. Long trip Tuesday might find em out. They’ll need fresh legs.we need a performance with a slice of luck. Do we ever have luck?.

For the life of me, I don't understand the logic of this 'rather not make the play-offs'.

What possible harm could it do from a playing perspective?

Financially, losing in the semis would give the club the gate receipts from an extra full-house (not much in the big scheme of things but every little helps). Lose in the final and traditionally the winner gives their share of the gate money to the loser, so £2-3 million. Win the final and - as long as we are prudent - we should be set fair financially for years to come, even if we come straight back down.