Sunderland match thread

Haven’t seen the incident but if Longman and their player contacted the ball simultaneously I think Tom would be onside but if the effort hit their player AFTER it left Longman’s foot then Tom would have been offside when the ball was kicked and the decision would have been correct.

Several decisions have gone Sunderland’s way last season and this. Honeyman’s disallowed goal last season; Clarke not receiving a second yellow card yesterday then winning the penalty (that was not a penalty!) and Tom’s disallowed goal 🤷‍♂️.

When luck goes against you it makes getting a result increasingly more difficult 😞
Not always luck its biased cheating fucking officials

Haven’t seen the incident but if Longman and their player contacted the ball simultaneously I think Tom would be onside but if the effort hit their player AFTER it left Longman’s foot then Tom would have been offside when the ball was kicked and the decision would have been correct.

Several decisions have gone Sunderland’s way last season and this. Honeyman’s disallowed goal last season; Clarke not receiving a second yellow card yesterday then winning the penalty (that was not a penalty!) and Tom’s disallowed goal 🤷‍♂️.

When luck goes against you it makes getting a result increasingly more difficult 😞
Make your decision from this Purley

As others have said the Sunderland fans think they got away with one. Apart from their fans forum these are from the 'Comments' section on the BBC report:

"Millwall played excellent, we were lucky to escape with a point. Last 10 games we dominated possession shots etc and came away with nothing. Well done Millwall it was never a pen but we will take it and move on."

"1 -1 was about a fair result but never a penalty as the Millwall defender got a toe to the ball."

"Another poor performance albeit a point away from home is never a disaster. Lucky pen as the Millwall lad seemed to take the ball. Big improvement needed against West Brom and Leeds"

"Lucky Mackems. Never a pen."

Replay on ITV clearly shows it was not a penalty, never touched the plater only the ball. Their crowd.reaction probably swayed the referee who should be censored by.the referees association and a written apology to the Wall for a glaring mistake. He also failed to give a foul on the left when our plsyer was flattened in the attack that led to the penalty. Frankly the referee was a.disgrace. People say we.all make mistakes, I agree but he made far too many. Can't remember

On the whole, a draw was probably a fair result. Once we started to engage them and battle hard, we looked a different team.

You’ll win more than you lose if you play with that level of effort and aggression. I guess Edwards’ task is to get that as a bare minimum every week whilst also trying to get us to get more control in games.

Couple of strange decisions for me - taking Nisbet off, our only goal threat of late, and leaving Flemming on who wasn’t really involved in much second half.

Mitchell also looked the most League 1 he has ever looked in a Wall shirt. So negative! His first instinct is to look behind him whenever receiving the ball. The difference between his and Caspers body language is stark.

On the whole, a draw was probably a fair result. Once we started to engage them and battle hard, we looked a different team.

You’ll win more than you lose if you play with that level of effort and aggression. I guess Edwards’ task is to get that as a bare minimum every week whilst also trying to get us to get more control in games.

Couple of strange decisions for me - taking Nisbet off, our only goal threat of late, and leaving Flemming on who wasn’t really involved in much second half.

Mitchell also looked the most League 1 he has ever looked in a Wall shirt. So negative! His first instinct is to look behind him whenever receiving the ball. The difference between his and Caspers body language is stark.
I think Nisbet went off to look after him. He’s not had many games since injury.
Five subs has changed managers’ thinking quite considerably.
You don’t have to ask players to do 90 minutes any more.
The opposition teams are always going to bring on fresh legs and I think we have to, to match them up.

I think Nisbet went off to look after him. He’s not had many games since injury.
Five subs has changed managers’ thinking quite considerably.
You don’t have to ask players to do 90 minutes any more.
The opposition teams are always going to bring on fresh legs and I think we have to, to match them up.
I was disappointed when Nisbet went off too, but as you say he’s not up to full fitness yet so erring on the side of caution. At our level I think we have a class act in him. Rarely does too much wrong , probably still adjusting to London, Millwall and the championship.

Agree.

I think Nisbet was withdrawn because JE favours the high press which required Tom’s fresh legs.

Flemming, despite his very occasional positive contribution, doesn’t warrant a starting place or staying on the pitch as long as he does 🤷‍♂️

Many have sung Billy’s praises but I just don’t see it. Gets caught in possession far too often causing us problems (as early as 10th minute on the left edge of our box, should have laid the ball back for Cooper, dwelt and lost ball and Murray had to concede a free kick in a dangerous position in the process taking a yellow “for the team”).

As a defensive CM spends most of his time ball watching in space not picking up runners 🤷‍♂️

Most passes square or backwards and on the rare occasions he tried forward several were intercepted!

On the positive side he has a lot of energy but in The Championship you need more than that.

Members online