Sunderland match thread

Is it any wonder that VAR was brought into football when we get idiotic refs in the game. VAR should be in all divisions in the country or not at all. It would have proved that Leonard got the ball.
Cooper was dragged down in their box in the first half. I’m sure if there was VAR a penalty would have been awarded.

ITV EFL Highlights commentator confirmed penalty shouldn’t have been given.

I’ve read a few posts saying it was a Rowett performance. In my opinion it was nothing like it.
We played 442 although it was more 4411 and not 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks which I bloody hate. We made sensible passes, mixed it up, played across the back when needed and more direct when it made sense rather than continuous aimless punting to a small centre forward. Our Centre backs seemed more comfortable moving forward with the ball. When we went a goal up we kept attacking when we could and nearly got a second whereas Rowett would have gone full out defend with as many defensive players on the pitch as possible. The biggest non Rowett aspect for me was everyone I was with walked out of the Den saying despite it being a draw at least it was not boring.

Deflections don’t count as he’s offside (if he was) as soon as the ball left Longman’s boot.
For it to be onside, the defender has to actually play the ball and not just touch it
Not sure about that OAG. Can you say more?

For all their passing and possession Bart didn't have one proper save to make. They got the penalty and one shot which missed by the near post that was it.
In contrast, we had the thunderbolt from Leonard, the cross from Cuffy which Flemming missed by inches. The 1 on 1 with Bradshaw. The Longman shot which hit the post. Another one where their keeper had to dive to his left to push it wide. Savile shot straight the keeper, either side it would gave gone in. They are just what I can remember off the top of my head.
Difference was we dug in properly when we needed to but much better controlled going forward. Proper 4 at the back. Cuffy had his best game cos he had a proper defender behind him.
Nisbet looks like a proper finisher and also seems to make better runs than Bradshaw. Think he will be good once he is properly 100% fit with a few more games. Honeyman and Mitchell just constantly buzzing around winning second balls or turning the ball over for us.
Overall much better, not perfect by any means. Just much better balance between the good solid defending and control going forward. It was backs to the wall for a while second half purely cos they ended up with 5 or 6 up front. Then we got control again and probably could have just won it as we had the better chances late on. If nothing else it was a much better game to watch. Certainly not boring by any means.

It works the same way as a back pass to the keeper. If you make the pass deliberately it's a foul. If it deflects off you to the keeper it's not.
If you view it not as a deflection but an attempt by the player to deliberately play the ball; then it’s not offside. For instance he could blocked Longman’s shot and gone upfield on attack. It is a very vague rule so open to subjective decisions.

I’ve read a few posts saying it was a Rowett performance. In my opinion it was nothing like it.
We played 442 although it was more 4411 and not 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks which I bloody hate. We made sensible passes, mixed it up, played across the back when needed and more direct when it made sense rather than continuous aimless punting to a small centre forward. Our Centre backs seemed more comfortable moving forward with the ball. When we went a goal up we kept attacking when we could and nearly got a second whereas Rowett would have gone full out defend with as many defensive players on the pitch as possible. The biggest non Rowett aspect for me was everyone I was with walked out of the Den saying despite it being a draw at least it was not boring.
It was a cracking game of football

If you view it not as a deflection but an attempt by the player to deliberately play the ball; then it’s not offside. For instance he could blocked Longman’s shot and gone upfield on attack. It is a very vague rule so open to subjective decisions.
The moment it left Longmans boot is when to decide if it was offside, whether it deflects of their player is irrelevant, the ball might only travel 2 inches before touching their player but unless Longman played it backwards it is offside.

As he said, loans and a lot of Steak Bakes for Fat Dan.

Haven’t seen the incident but if Longman and their player contacted the ball simultaneously I think Tom would be onside but if the effort hit their player AFTER it left Longman’s foot then Tom would have been offside when the ball was kicked and the decision would have been correct.

Several decisions have gone Sunderland’s way last season and this. Honeyman’s disallowed goal last season; Clarke not receiving a second yellow card yesterday then winning the penalty (that was not a penalty!) and Tom’s disallowed goal 🤷‍♂️.

When luck goes against you it makes getting a result increasingly more difficult 😞

It’s similar to a back pass to a goalkeeper. If it deflects off a defender and the goalkeeper picks it up it isn’t a free kick. In other words the defender has to “intentionally” play it back to the keeper. In the same way yesterday the defender would have had to “intentionally” play the ball backwards for our player to be onside. Deflections don’t count, I can’t make it any simpler than that

For all their passing and possession Bart didn't have one proper save to make. They got the penalty and one shot which missed by the near post that was it.
In contrast, we had the thunderbolt from Leonard, the cross from Cuffy which Flemming missed by inches. The 1 on 1 with Bradshaw. The Longman shot which hit the post. Another one where their keeper had to dive to his left to push it wide. Savile shot straight the keeper, either side it would gave gone in. They are just what I can remember off the top of my head.
Difference was we dug in properly when we needed to but much better controlled going forward. Proper 4 at the back. Cuffy had his best game cos he had a proper defender behind him.
Nisbet looks like a proper finisher and also seems to make better runs than Bradshaw. Think he will be good once he is properly 100% fit with a few more games. Honeyman and Mitchell just constantly buzzing around winning second balls or turning the ball over for us.
Overall much better, not perfect by any means. Just much better balance between the good solid defending and control going forward. It was backs to the wall for a while second half purely cos they ended up with 5 or 6 up front. Then we got control again and probably could have just won it as we had the better chances late on. If nothing else it was a much better game to watch. Certainly not boring by any means.
Good account

It’s similar to a back pass to a goalkeeper. If it deflects off a defender and the goalkeeper picks it up it isn’t a free kick. In other words the defender has to “intentionally” play it back to the keeper. In the same way yesterday the defender would have had to “intentionally” play the ball backwards for our player to be onside. Deflections don’t count, I can’t make it any simpler than that
Cheers mate. Can you ref our next game? 😉

Members online