Sunderland match thread

He was offside kidda
Fair enough mate, from where we were sitting In Block 2 we couldn't tell. Funnily enough because the chance come out of no where after that cross just dipped and hit the post, and the fact of the way the game was going with the officials I didn't really celebrate as I had to get a look at the lino first to see If he had flagged. People around me seemed to think It came of one of theirs first so I had no Idea If the decision was correct or not. I still think Bradshaw gets a hard time though considering how we play.

It was at my end and I’m pretty sure the ball didn’t go under Bart’s body or arms 🤔

I wasn't sure myself, but if you look at the camera view from behind Clarke, it looks like it went under Barts body. Judging by his disappointed reaction, it probably did (very last piece of action on the Sky highlights).

In Sunderland’s 4 games prior to today they have had 98 attempts at goal, today they had just 10👏. A sign of a much improved defensive performance.

Several pluses today:

- If we play 4 at the back, the right side with Wes and Lenny is strong and secure.
- BNC’s best position is most definitely WRM. When he improves his decision making he’ll be some hell of a player 👍
- GR lineup but a major difference was the high press that denied them, especially in the first half, the time and space to stroll up the pitch like other teams recently.
- Lenny (my MOTM despite the penalty) was colossal. If he can stay fit I can see things improving.
- Nisbet was superb 👌. His finish top drawer and his movement excellent 👍. If we can get 90 minutes out of him he’ll have a major influence on the team.

BTW: Didn’t appreciate Ballard was on the pitch for them. Obviously, not as impressive as when he was with us.

Last edited:
Pleased that we showed we can compete and I don't normally complain about refs, when they are poor it generally means they are poor for both sides but when you watch it on tv with replays , today's ref was dreadful, no consistency and this time we lost 2 points because of him.
A yellow card is a yellow card, regardless of the player already been booked or not, jacqueline clarke should not of been on the pitch to earn a penalty ( did anyone notice if their were rainbow laces in the pink boots or not?). Very frustrating that we didn't beat them but I thought you could see a nucleus of what Edwards is trying to do

With Saville’s booking, the Ref had no choice 🤷‍♂️. It’s an automatic booking now for any player who raises his hand gesturing for an opponent to be booked 😔

Stupidity on George’s behalf 👎
But he was right and shouldn’t have called the ref a cunt even though that was right too! 😉
Problem Is, teams have goalkeepers. He managed to get a shot away that he didn't have much right to take and the keeper pulled off a very good save. When he was through one on one on goal the keeper came out quick, made himself big and restricted the angles putting the odds In the keepers favour. On paper It was near perfect goal keeping so I don't believe Bradshaw can be criticised for not scoring there. Then he had a goal ruled offside for what I am yet to understand why. He reacted quickly to an opportunity that seemed to come out of no where. I haven't seen It back yet so maybe he was offside and should have been more aware of his positioning but which striker doesn't get caught offside.
He was wasn’t offside as the ball deflected off Longman’s shot that hit the post and Bradders buried it! Lino Lino you’re a cunt!

The club of ours do piss me off at times. Didn’t join the half time rush for a drink, thought I would give it 10 mins jnto second half to get a hot drink. Silly me everything was shut up. Thought we needed the money had to give my dosh to Starbucks at Surrey docks on way home. 🤬🤬

Problem Is, teams have goalkeepers. He managed to get a shot away that he didn't have much right to take and the keeper pulled of a very good save. When he was through one on one on goal the keeper came out quick, made himself big and restricted the angles putting the odds In the keepers favour. On paper It was near perfect goal keeping so I don't believe Bradshaw can be criticised for not scoring there. Then he had a goal ruled offside for what I am yet to understand why. He reacted quickly to an opportunity that seemed to come out of no where. I haven't seen It back yet so maybe he was offside and should have been more aware of his positioning but which striker doesn't get caught offside.
It’s not just today, he had a purple time last season which he done well. Good strikers should get 20 every season it’s there job. You got to be cuter than the bloke marking you. Difference between him and Nisbet is quite big, we haven’t seen the best of Nisbet though and I think he’ll prove to be a goodun.

We seemed to abandon for most of the match the tippy tappy game and the long ball game was more in motion and I'm afraid to say they looked more comfortable ,was it intentional or as JE realized a majority of our players are not capable of playing that way at this level ?
It was more “siege mentality” break away stuff rather than long ball I felt, which is a style that we used under rowett. Get up the pitch as quick as possible.

Members online