Sunderland away.

It can't really be a period of national mourning when people are getting pissed up, cheering and celebrating. Don't forget most games will kick off less than 48 hours after the announcement of Her Majesty's death. If the news had come earlier In the week then I can understand them continuing but we still have a situation where some television channels have removed advertisements and there Is a constant stream of news coverage.

After all the lady devoted her life to serving us. The least we can do Is refrain from a weekend of sport and the jubilation we hope It will bring whilst the dust settles and we come to terms with what has happened. A one minutes silence Is In no way a sufficient compromise to mark her passing. That Is they same level of tribute paid to ex-pros and mere mortals and can be seen at one ground or another on most weekends.

I don't agree with other sports cracking on but It seems they are basically not willing to risk the financial Implications. This Is also understandable If the knock on effects will have a significant financial Impact but I do feel more could have been sacrificed In the name of solemn dignity and respect.

It can't really be a period of national mourning when people are getting pissed up, cheering and celebrating. Don't forget most games will kick off less than 48 hours after the announcement of Her Majesty's death. If the news had come earlier In the week then I can understand them continuing but we still have a situation where some television channels have removed advertisements and there Is a constant stream of news coverage.

After all the lady devoted her life to serving us. The least we can do Is refrain from a weekend of sport and the jubilation we hope It will bring whilst the dust settles and we come to terms with what has happened. A one minutes silence Is In no way a sufficient compromise to mark her passing. That Is they same level of tribute paid to ex-pros and mere mortals and can be seen at one ground or another on most weekends.

I don't agree with other sports cracking on but It seems they are basically not willing to risk the financial Implications. This Is also understandable If the knock on effects will have a significant financial Impact but I do feel more could have been sacrificed In the name of solemn dignity and respect.
That is the other side of the situation that you can't argue with, I don't think either are wrong.
I feel that carrying on isn't disrespectful, everything else in my life is carrying on the same and the ability to bring people together so they can show just how much respect she earnt over the years was appreciated tips the balance for me.

I do understand why the games have been called off but from a purely selfish stand point, I’m gutted as I had tickets and won’t be able to go for the re-arranged fixture.

However the Queens famous quote after the London bombings was to carry on as normal, so the games should have gone ahead where 1000’s of ordinary people could have shown their respects.

As for the train company’s only offering e vouchers as a refund. Hang your heads in shame.

That is the other side of the situation that you can't argue with, I don't think either are wrong.
I feel that carrying on isn't disrespectful, everything else in my life is carrying on the same and the ability to bring people together so they can show just how much respect she earnt over the years was appreciated tips the balance for me.

I suppose the problem is; where do you draw the line?
Up and down the country, people have weddings, birthday parties and other social engagements booked. Do you postpone them as well?

Do you postpone/cancel theatre/cinema engagements and sit at home twiddling your thumbs while watching endless BBC coverage and repeated royal interviews?

It was always going to be a difficult one to navigate. Pubs and business' for instance, they have tackled it in different ways.

My personal view for what it's worth is this...
For months now the biggest story every day is the cost of living and how people have been struggling and will continue to do so forever.

So, who will be hit hardest by the postponement of these matches?
Not the players. Not the people in charge at the FA and EFL. Not the directors and chairmen of the clubs.
No, the people hit hardest will be the thousands of people, many of them youngsters who rely on match day work to help them get by.
Even at our club on match days there are dozens of people who serve in the bars and restaurants, work as stewards etc etc etc.
For these people, ordinary working people, like us they will be missing a significant amount of money in their budget this week, and next week too, possibly.
Aside from all the other arguments against postponing these matches, for me this is the most compelling.
Yes, hundreds of thousands of fans will also suffer financial inconvenience, having already booked transport, accommodation etc etc, but for me, it is the workers who will lose pay that I feel most sorry for.
Frankly, I find it disgusting.

Make the working class football fans doff their hats in respect, but the jolly old rugger boys, cricketers and actors can carry on serving up their middle class shenanigans to their middle class followers.

No problem with a proper 3 days of mourning as a genuine mark of respect, but only football is bollocks.

Stinks of middle class superiority.

Its a difficult one. Can see both points of view but maybe the best way to have proceeded would be to do what the Queen wanted if she made that clear beforehand (being a fan of horse racing she may have) or the Royal family now. On the day of the funeral everything will likely be stopped so it does not clash.

Yeah I do understand that and It Is a bit strange. On one hand It would have been decent If most things and places could have shut or reduced their services but with the world we live In that It highly difficult and Improbable.

Years ago opening times already had consiberable constraints and there was alot less of a varity of social activities that would have made a shut down considerable easier. There's also the fact that peoples Ideas of respect and decency were a lot more staunch. But now too much money Is relied upon for many different people that these things are almost unquestionable. In that sense why football has been halted but other sports and activities have not Is Inconsistent and may cause some notions of resentment.

Maybe as there are midweek games, It Is deemed that It Is not too far a time frame for people to wait. But don't forget, you go to football to watch football, not to pay respects. That Is just a circumstance and a brief by product of the main event. There are plenty of more suitable places (although It's doubtful they will be as unique and loud as crowds at some grounds) to pay respects all weekend If people are so dertermind to do so. Afterall, If you're only willing to pay those respects In a manner convientient to ones self, at a time and place you were already scheduled to be, It's not really paying much respect. So maybe by cancelling the fixtures they are making a poignant, grand gesture of respect, acknowledging that the lady was bigger than football but still allowing people to come together a few days later to celebrate her In their own less solumn ways once the Initial severity has dampened slightly. I don't know mate, this Is football after all. The cunts In charge never seem to have a clue what they are doing.

Make the working class football fans doff their hats in respect, but the jolly old rugger boys, cricketers and actors can carry on serving up their middle class shenanigans to their middle class followers.

No problem with a proper 3 days of mourning as a genuine mark of respect, but only football is bollocks.

Stinks of middle class superiority.
I know (I've read) that the test cricket match was set to loose 4 million If the game was cancled as they were not Insured. Money talks, class clearly does not.

As reguards to rugby. Fuck knows why. I think It's cunty. It's probably because they are all brain dead homosexuals who can't comprehended not getting blind drunk and shoving traffic cones up each others arse holes.

I know (I've read) that the test cricket match was set to loose 4 million If the game was cancled as they were not Insured. Money talks, class clearly does not.

As reguards to rugby. Fuck knows why. I think It's cunty. It's probably because they are all brain dead homosexuals who can't comprehended not getting blind drunk and shoving traffic cones up each others arse holes.
Ffs :rotfl: Traffic cones :rotfl::rotfl:

Our Queen, someones mum, and someones gran has passed away. I shall pay my respects how I see fit.
All this should they shouldn't they bollocks is just that, bollocks. I personally couldn't give a shit what anybody else wants to do, there is no satisfying everyone.
IMHO

For what it's worth, test match special are saying that the Dutchy of Cornwall owns the Oval and they were asked about whether to carry on the test match or not, their reply was that they were happy for the match to continue if they wished to.

Our Queen, someones mum, and someones gran has passed away. I shall pay my respects how I see fit.
All this should they shouldn't they bollocks is just that, bollocks. I personally couldn't give a shit what anybody else wants to do, there is no satisfying everyone.
IMHO
For what it's worth, test match special are saying that the Dutchy of Cornwall owns the Oval and they were asked about whether to carry on the test match or not, their reply was that they were happy for the match to continue if they wished to.

Here you go, one post after the other, different opinions, from both sides of the fence.

As @Lions21 said: "Its a difficult one"...we all know what Ulster would say...
"It's a hard one..."
:grinning:

Maybe as there are midweek games, It Is deemed that It Is not too far a time frame for people to wait.
That’s all well and good, providing the midweek games aren’t postponed as well!

Don’t forget, the funeral is not until Monday week, the 19th, so if they do postpone the midweek games, they could just as easy do the same with the fixtures on Saturday, the 17th!

Apart from not giving football supporters the option as to whether they want to pay their respects at home or at matches today, midweek or next Saturday, what are these postponements (if more take place), going to do to the footballing calendar, when we’re already taking a month’s break at the end of the year, for the World Cup?

Or have the Powers-That-Be not thought about that?

That’s all well and good, providing the midweek games aren’t postponed as well!

Don’t forget, the funeral is not until Monday week, the 19th, so if they do postpone the midweek games, they could just as easy do the same with the fixtures on Saturday, the 17th!

Apart from not giving football supporters the option as to whether they want to pay their respects at home or at matches today, midweek or next Saturday, what are these postponements (if more take place), going to do to the footballing calendar, when we’re already taking a month’s break at the end of the year, for the World Cup?

Or have the Powers-That-Be not thought about that?
Do you or anyone else need the F.A to wipe your arse? Do you need them to hold your hand and sanction your emotions?

Quite frankly football fans do have options to pay their respects. Amoungst other things there are books of condolence online as well as In almost every council office In the country. Churches are holding vigils and prayer services regularly up and down the country. You can dress In black or wear a black armband. You can refrain from getting pissed up and enjoying yourself, stop any fivoulous purchases or gorging on any excesses. We live In London so todays cancellations have given the perfect opportunity to train It to Buckingham Palace to lay flowers.

If you need to go to football and join a crowd for a brief distraction from the main event to pay respects to anyone other than a footballer then quite simply the respects being paid ain't worth much.

Mourning the Queen has fuck all to do with football. It has fuck all to do with sport. She transcends all of It. Once Millwall kicks off we are cheering, swearing and joking with the solumness a distant memory. If that Is someones only effort to pay respect then to me It makes the gravity of the previous minutes silence hypocitical and Insincere.

Members online