Rowett v Edwards

Lionchel

I'm not going to slag off Rowett or think Edwards is our new saviour. But 3 things stood out for me after Saturdays game.

(R) Rowett
(E) Edwards

1. (R) Long balls from cooper to Bradshaw which went into space for him to chase
(E) Cooper playing short balls to midfield players who then played it wide etc

2. (R) Going 2-0 up and defending for 60 minuets
(E) Going 2-0 up and still attacking

3. (R) Long balls from the oppos players and our players just heading it aimlessly anywhere
(E) Long balls from the oppos players and our players taking it on their chests and laying it off

Last edited:
Only saw the highlights but I agree with the above plus one other observation. When we got ball in defence there was no panic. Midfield players and fellow defenders were showing for the ball. A short pass to feet was all that was needed and then another short pass set us free to attack. Confidence was evident throughout and the oppo was running around chasing shadows. Long May it continue!

Lads were creating more space for themselves, and moving better to receive the ball.
Well spotted, when we do this we look like a football team. Been saying for ages that we need to move to receive an easy pass, simple but effective. You just need the brains to do it. Concentrate and don’t go to d so sleep. The quicker we do all this creates havoc for oppo defenders.

I didn't see the games, but les not be too/so dismissive of G R.

As stated by others, from the N H days, it has been a steady process to get us to where we are today. N H had to sort out the crap left and created by Hollowhead. He did that well, then past on the baton to G R. Who then established us into a top half/formidable championship side.

He has created the best team in possible the last 15 or so years, and now the baton has been passed to Edwards. To me, it is still in a work in progress, and should he take us up, then i think that N H and G R should both be acknowledged for their part in the journey.

As stated by others, from the N H days, it has been a steady process to get us to where we are today. N H had to sort out the crap left and created by Hollowhead. He did that well, then past on the baton to G R. Who then established us into a top half/formidable championship side.

He has created the best team in possible the last 15 or so years, and now the baton has been passed to Edwards. To me, it is still in a work in progress, and should he take us up, then i think that N H and G R should both be acknowledged for their part in the journey.
Totally agree.

I was sad to see GR go, but understood why, and why some supporters weren't enamored by the tactics.......but...... there's no doubt that he deserves credit for what he has done over the last 4 years, keeping us competitive in the Championship, and working to build a strong foundation of players for what we all hope to see from now on.

As you know NH is a pal but im sorry i didnt see any difference in the style of play between NH and GR. We needed something different a change of direction, we are going to have some bumps in the road, apprenticeships with JM,TTandFL would give the lad a good foundation. They dont have you around them 3 if you dont have something about you. Forget the 4_0 this is about stabilising this year and see where that takes us, push on next year with two or three additions and have a go. It just feels different, they players look like they have had chains taken off

Rowett did a very decent job and was smart enough to know when to go leaving us a decent squad , joe edwards already looks as though he will get more out of these players , am really looking forward to the rest of the season .
Agree with this. Results speak for themselves and GR got us to be a solid, dependable side, safe from relegation and knocking on the door of the playoffs. However, I would question how good he was at developing players. If anything, promising young players went backwards under GR. I'm thinking of the likes of Mitchell and McNamara. I wonder whether his style was a bit too rigid for young players to grow? It will be interesting to see what kind of a tune JE can get out of them(and Esse and Emakhu, of course).

Agree with this. Results speak for themselves and GR got us to be a solid, dependable side, safe from relegation and knocking on the door of the playoffs. However, I would question how good he was at developing players. If anything, promising young players went backwards under GR. I'm thinking of the likes of Mitchell and McNamara. I wonder whether his style was a bit too rigid for young players to grow? It will be interesting to see what kind of a tune JE can get out of them(and Esse and Emakhu, of course).
I think that is one element of this new manager that I am going to enjoy the most. He has a track record of bringing out the best in younger players, and we have very good younger squads at the moment. Seeing them being bought on, hopefully to the first team, will be very rewarding for us to see.

Out of the candidates to follow GR I was pleased Joe Edwards was appointed. However, I must say Wednesday were very poor and although 0-4 didn't flatter us, Wednesday had a couple of really good chances. The next few games may well give us more insight to how JE hopes to shape our play.

Rowett brought in some excellent players over the years and is to be commended for that. However, it's a bit like a tradesman buying the best tools on the market and not being skilled enough to use them to their fullest capabilities and even sometimes using them for the wrong application!

Think we should all forget about GR now ,he took us as far as he could and now he's moved on. As have we to potentially better times. Constant comparisons are pointless .
IMHO

Out of the candidates to follow GR I was pleased Joe Edwards was appointed. However, I must say Wednesday were very poor and although 0-4 didn't flatter us, Wednesday had a couple of really good chances. The next few games may well give us more insight to how JE hopes to shape our play.
Spot on.

It was good to see us playing a more entertaining brand of football last Saturday and a 4-0 away win is an achievement in itself ... but they were piss poor. Sterner tests await.