ROWETT OUT

Survival in the Championship has to be, first and foremost, the priority. If we’re already losing £12M every season in the Championship, it will be a helluva lot worse if we get relegated! Playing in league 1 means our gates will be lower, we’ll have less money to attract and buy better quality players, sponsorship money will be reduced as will the money from Sly! Anything other than avoiding relegation has to be a bonus!

I think, for a lot of supporters, there is a need to push on from last season, partly because we got so close to the play offs, and partly because a club like Luton, who were probably working from a similar wage bill and operating costs as we were last season (and who, ten years ago were playing in the conference), managed to achieve the impossible and get promoted to the Premier League!

When supporters see things in those terms, it’s only human nature to want the same for your own club, and that’s where I think a lot of supporters frustration comes from: we end up taking a step forward in terms of money made available for better recruitment, only to take two steps back when, for whatever reason (players, manager, bad luck), things go tits up just when we don’t want them to!

If a club like ours wants promotion, we’re gonna have to stick to the Brentford plan which is to buy younger talent from the lower leagues and abroad, sell them on in the future for massive profit, and use that profit to slowly build a squad of players that, over time, will eventually get the club promoted! We’ve got our foot on the first rung of the ladder in that regard, but how long it takes to get to the top of it is anyone’s guess! What we don’t want is to get almost to the top, then slip at the last moment and fall flat on our arse!

Maybe the way to get round that is that once promoted, any new or existing players would have to sign a new contract which would have a clause in it that states that if relegation happens in any year of their tenure with us, their salaries would have to be readjusted downwards, to reflect the loss of club earnings whilst being back in the Championship! I’m sure other promoted Championship clubs have done that in the past, and we shouldn’t be any different to them!

Agreed, and if we did get to the Prem then maybe the way to limit that financial pressure would be to not throw millions around trying to attract top, top talent (as Forest did when they went up, to the tune of ÂŁ100M+), but rather continue as we were doing in the Championship by attracting the type of tier 2 level players like Flemming and Caspar! Those types of players will still come to us in the Prem and no doubt be much happier on lower, but better salaries than they had before! It also puts them in the shop window so if they do well with us, they might eventually snag a move to a bigger Prem club, and enjoy even further riches and success!

That way, if we were unfortunate to be relegated in our first season, we wouldn’t be shelling out mega bucks to our contracted players on a reduced Championship budget! We would also have two years of parachute money coming to us to ease any financial issues we may still have, and if need be we could use some of that money to strengthen the squad to attempt a return to the Prem at the first time of asking!

Even if we kept yo-yoing between the Championship and the Prem for a few years, I think eventually the breakthrough would come, and we’d survive that first season, then survive the 2nd, then the 3rd, and hopefully cement our place in the Prem, just as clubs like Wolves and Palace have done!

OK, this all sounds great reading it on the forum, and I may be way off the mark with what I think can be done and achieved, but if James Berylson is half as good as his dad was, hopefully he’ll steer us in the right direction with a similar plan to my one, and with good housekeeping and a cool head, eventually get us there!

As unpalatable as it is, the only way for clubs like ours to survive, prosper and do well in this age of billionaire football owners, millionaire players, managers and agents is to be in the tent pissing out, rather than being outside, pissing in! No one on here likes Sky or what they’ve done by creating this awful Premier League, but unfortunately if a club is to be measured as a profitable success, both on and off the pitch, the Prem is the place to be to achieve that!

As I said above, if our new chairman goes about this the right way, and we don’t go all Bertie Big Bollocks to achieve success, I think we can get to the next floor (promotion), but there just has to be a proper, well thought out plan that everyone at the club can work to! Remember: if you build it, they will come!
:grinning:

I think most Wall supporters (and many on here) would be happy to stay in the Championship, but from a business point of view (and you mentioned it in your post), it isn’t financially achievable. The longer we stay in the Championship, and keep shelling out a million pounds here, and a million pounds there every season or so (on players we hope will get us promoted), then there may come a time where our new chairman may think that running a loss making football club is no longer a viable option!

As much as we hope so, we don’t really know if James Berylson‘s love affair with Millwall will be as strong as it was with his dad, and for all we know, he could end up being a totally ruthless enough businessman, prepared to cut ties with the club if things aren’t working out for his company somewhere down the line!

Of course that’s a worse case scenario option, but until we know James’ intent for our club going forward, nothing can be taken off the table! What stage are we at with this regen project? Is it still going ahead? Has work on it already begun? I don’t know, but does anyone else know? If nothing’s happened yet (or the project is on the back burner for whatever reason), is that going to affect James’ continued financial support and backing?

Yes, I hear you all cry, it’s all ‘if‘s, but’s and maybe’s,’ but any uncertainty can affect both the players and us, the supporters! None of us want James Berylson and his company to sell our club to new owners, now or in the future, because they could turn out to be potential shysters who don’t give a fuck about us, or our club, and are only in it to extract as much money as they can from it, then attempt to flip it to make some kind of monetary profit! We laughed at the spotters predicament these past 10 years with their dodgy owners, but deep down it would be catastrophic for the club if that scenario happened to us!

This. It happened in the 1987/1988 season, so why shouldn’t lightning strike twice for us?

Agreed. Rowett’s mantra to the players should be, ”a man’s reach should exceed his grasp!” otherwise, as you said, what’s the point?

The chairman and the board have to learn from the mistakes of other clubs! We had two wonderful (well, one really), seasons in the old First Division, and though the players worked their bollocks off to get us back up in that 1990/1991 season, it wasn’t to be! Yet, we’re still here and are in a much better position, stadium wise and monetary wise than we’ve ever been in our club’s history! There’s no reason why we can’t try for promotion again, as long as we cut our cloth accordingly and take our time to make sure we have all our ducks lined up in a neat row!

Agreed. “He who dares, wins, Rodney!” Never a truer sentence said from a Peckham boy who’s dad once said that Millwall would win the Cup!

Let’s get to the Prem first!
:grinning:

Both, for the time being!

All this after just two league games?
At least get his fucking name right !!

“He who dares, wins, Rodney Dave!”

:ROFLMAO:

This is without doubt the worst Millwall performance in a long time which is just getting worse. I think its time for the manager to go or at least find a attacking coach to give him some new ideas. This can’t go on.

This is without doubt the worst Millwall performance in a long time which is just getting worse. I think its time for the manager to go or at least find a attacking coach to give him some new ideas. This can’t go on.
you obviously werent at wigan away in April - barely 5 league games ago. that was far worse than today

When you start sarcastically clapping your own fans singing ‘your football is sh#t’, it ain’t gonna end well.

The Bristol game at home was an opportunity to push on get the biggest crowd in years behind you attack them build the atmosphere but no he sucked the life out of 18.5k

I is draining to watch the two worst footballers in terms of skill and threat have the most touches in a game like watching three snails with the ball at the back

It wasn't good today, in fact, it was mostly awful.
Rowett out? Not for me, it's too early for that kind of drastic action.
Although, I really think it's about time some of our players grew a pair and actually turned up for games like they fucking mean it.
I agree. He’s earnt a lot more than 3 games in to get rid. It would have hit home today. We were singing your footballs shit, the Norwich joined in. It was a moment of reflection for even the most hardened of managers. Today GR realised that he has lost a big chunk of the fan base and it wasn’t good. He doesn’t walk away and will stand firmly in front of us if need be. I hope he calms the fans down with a few choice words and turn up on Monday morning with a determination to get this sorted out. Getting rid of him is not a wise move IMO, although if nothing changes he will be gone very soon - this I am now 100% certain.