Quotes from the Charlton no life forum

It seems they were founded as nothing more than a way for the middle class residents of Surrey to have a professional football club, such was the popularity of the professional game in the south thanks to the likes of Millwall and Arsenal at the time.
Not really true, Moody.

Palace were formed in the same year as Chelsea and in almost identical circumstances: as a money-making business.

The owners of the Stamford Bridge grounds wanted to maximise its financial potential by having football played in it. When Fulham turned down the offer to move there, the Mears family formed their own club.

Likewise, the Crystal Palace company who owned the Cup Final grounds wanted a club to bring in regular money, so they did exactly the same thing.

Oddly enough, Chelsea tried to join the Southern League but were turned down. So with Clapton Orient and Palace applied to join the Football League. The Football League welcomed Chelsea and Orient, but told Palace to fuck off.

So Palace went cap in hand to the Southern League, pointing out that they had a bunch of professional footballers, a big ground but no games. The Southern League relented and let them join the competition's Second Division, playing mainly small Welsh clubs and reserve teams of Southern League First Division clubs.

Mind you, Palace did get some revenge, and that season they slaughtered Chelsea 7-1 in the FA Cup!

So, Palace - completely unlike their amateur namesakes of a generation previously, who played the game for the sport alone, came into being to make money for a bunch of landowners.

Not very romantic, I'm afraid. No wonder a present day historian is trying to re-write history...

Last edited:
Not really true, Moody.

Palace were formed in the same year as Chelsea and in almost identical circumstances: as a money-making business.

The owners of the Stamford Bridge grounds wanted to maximise its financial potential by having football played in it. When Fulham turned down the offer to move there, the Mears family formed their own club.

Likewise the Crystal Palace company who owned the Cup Final grounds wanted a club to bring in regular money, so they did exactly the same thing.

Oddly enough, Chelsea tried to join the Southern League but were turned down. So with Clapton Orient and Palace applied to join the Football League. The Football League welcomed Chelsea dn Orienty, but told Palace to fuck off.

So palace went cap in hand to the Southern League, pointing out that they had a bunch of professional footballers but no games, so the Southern League relented and let them join the competition's Second Division, playing mainly small Welsh clubs and reserve teams of Southern League First Division clubs.

Mind you, Palace did get some revenge, and that season they slaughtered Chelsea 7-1 in the FA Cup!

So, Palace - completely unlikely their amateur namesakes of a generation previously, who played the game for the sport, came into being to make money for a bunch if landowners.

Not very romantic, I'm afraid. No wonder a present day historian is trying to re-write history...

Also in question would be what code the 1861 vintage 'football' team played as Football was a generic term and had to be listed in Newspapers as played under Association or Rugby Rules.

Not really true, Moody.

Likewise the Crystal Palace company who owned the Cup Final grounds wanted a club to bring in regular money, so they did exactly the same thing.

Oddly enough, Chelsea tried to join the Southern League but were turned down. So with Clapton Orient and Palace applied to join the Football League. The Football League welcomed Chelsea dn Orienty, but told Palace to fuck off.

So palace went cap in hand to the Southern League, pointing out that they had a bunch of professional footballers but no games, so the Southern League relented and let them join the competition's Second Division, playing mainly small Welsh clubs and reserve teams of Southern League First Division clubs.

So, Palace - completely unlikely their amateur namesakes of a generation previously, who played the game for the sport, came into being to make money for a bunch if landowners.

In my defence, that is what I referring too...

Millwall were founded by workers and friends to give other local sides a ‘tough time’.

Charlton were founded by a bunch of teenagers to play football.

The Crystal Palace FC that our resident Nigel likes, bless, were set up as a professional football club straight away - as you more clearly and concisely say though, to make money.

Shame but not that bothered. They’re the sort of club you laugh at when it’s going shit for them but don’t care when it’s going good either. All those years they was in the premier league didn’t bother me in the slightest. More bothered about palaces current run up there. That grates

Shame but not that bothered. They’re the sort of club you laugh at when it’s going shit for them but don’t care when it’s going good either. All those years they was in the premier league didn’t bother me in the slightest. More bothered about palaces current run up there. That grates
They were in the Premier League ?? must have blinked

Just had a look on there. One of them said “we’re coming for you palace, and it won’t be long”.
Fuck me they really think they’re going to fly up the leagues now.

To be fair, it’s pretty easy to fly up the divisions & back to the PL... just look at how easy the likes of Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday have made it look... and Charlton Athletic are a huge club compared to those!