Quotes from the Charlton no life forum

I saw an interesting map in Glaziers Hall once with the old county lines. Most of Deptford was Kent, with a little bit of Surrey.

Weirdly a tiny bit of the north bank of the Thames was also Kent, which I’ve never heard of, and no clue what the reason for it was.

Read about this before. North Woolwich. Something to do with the Norman conquests. After Williams victory he had a carve up of the country and gave all his men different bits. His right hand man got Kent, but apparently he also claimed that bit on the other side of the Thames as well, so that he could claim tax revenues on the ferry crossings that were situated there on both sides. Something like that anyway.

If our pet Nigel can tell us what unique or significant thing Crystal Palace FC have done, I will happily reassess my view...

Many Charlton fans may be muppets, but Charlton Athletic are still the only SE* London club to have won the FA Cup - which pains when Millwall have such a proud FA Cup history.

Conversely, Millwall were joint pioneers of professional football in London and the south, founding the Southern League. And the club proved to be such a thorn in the side of the big northern and midlands FL clubs in the FA Cup, it became the only English football club to earn a nickname through football endeavour - the ‘Lions of the South’.

Crystal Palace FC appear to be one of those clubs that exist simply because football is so popular in this country that every area has a team... much like their fierce rivals Brighton & Hove Albion & clubs like Peterborough United, Southend United etc. There is no football romance to them. A club like Gillingham FC had far, far more football romance and history behind their story than Palace.

*The original Wimbledon no longer exist in my view.

The cheek of it. We’re one of the 11 founding members of the football association, and the only ones still playing professionally.

Have some respect for your elders. And indeed betters.
No you aren't.

If you are claiming that you are the oldest club because another outfit called Crystal Palace (absolutely no fucking relation to your club - which was Founded 1905) played on the original Crystal Palace grounds back in the day, then you are screwed.

Because on the same basis Sheffield United can take their claim back to 1857 when a club called Sheffield were formed and later started playing their games at Bramall Lane. Of course there is no relationship between Sheffield and Sheffield Utd, just as there is no relation between the present Crystal Palace and the one than had been dead about 20 years.

By the way, I have every single Millwall home programme between Millwall and Palace in the Southern and Football Leagues since 1910. (I'm afraid my oldest Palace programmes only dates back to when you played at The Nest. You know, the former home of Croydon Common. Who were around nearly a decade before your club was.)

Now, Millwall would like to write up and celebrate their opponents' ancient history, if they had one. Guess what when we played Palace: not a squeak. Not a dickie bird. No tales of great days of old and Crystal Palace (1905) reaching the FA Cup semi-finals.

Why? Because the people around at the time of your club's formation knew they had absolutely fuck all to do with the original amateur club of yore. A different entity altogether.

So do just pipe down. You are making an even bigger arse of yourself than you normally manage.

The fact a (suit-wearing) Millwall supporter knows more about your club's (true) history than you do really must be about as bad for you as it gets .

The cheek of it. We’re one of the 11 founding members of the football association, and the only ones still playing professionally.

Have some respect for your elders. And indeed betters.

I recognise this is you fishing, but I am still waiting to hear a romantic football story involving the Crystal Palace FC that you follow.

This is because the whole debate about 'oldest' football clubs is addressed beautifully in Martin Westby's ‘England's Oldest Football Clubs 1815-1889’.

Amongst other things, Martin establishes 'classification rules' which have now been widely accepted and these are as follows:

1) Was the Club listed in Charles Alcock's 'Football Annuals' between 1868 and 1889?

2) Assuming a joint venture with Athletics, Cricket and/or Rugby, when did the Club fully embrace the Association game? Evidence would include membership of the County FA or involvement in the Football Association Cup

3) Does the Club exist in the press of their day?

On that basis, Martin has Crystal Palace FC as being founded in 1905… joint 34th place with Chelsea and Charlton Athletic.

It seems they were founded as nothing more than a way for the middle class residents of Surrey to have a professional football club, such was the popularity of the professional game in the south thanks to the likes of Millwall and Arsenal at the time.