Plymouth v Wall match thread 7.45pm

I have been critical especially after the dross on Saturday and another abject home performance

I did say at the start of this thread I could see a 1-0 (and had a £10 on it).

I am well chuffed with that great result and credit to GR and the team.

Really hoping for some momentum now especially a good performance and three points on Saturday

Harding and Lenny had a great game along with the rest of the team

Well done GR

COYL

A bloke on a Plymouth forum wrote:

'Their second was a joke, Hayden wasn't fouled he was assaulted, ref lets it go and they score. Didn't cost us the game it was 97 mins, but it was just symptomatic for the officials. We didn't play badly, we came up against a street wise team, who knew how to play the ref, when to foul, when to grab a shirt.'

There's some truth in that.
The international break has come at the right time for us as Flemming has been called up by Borthwick for the quarter final on the 15th! 😉

Play the same way at home as we do away.
There is a problem with that. It worked last night because Plymouth attacked like men possessed. As we knew they would, because they always do when they are at home.
Therefore, we had something to defend against.
Trouble is when we are at home, teams rarely attack us like that. Look at Bristol City. If we had shown the same defensive strategy as them, the ball could have stayed on the centre circle with neither team wanting to touch it.

What happened last night was we absorbed everything Plymouth threw at us. Inevitably they tired and became despondent. The result was gaps appeared in their defensive line that we were able to break through. Not just when we scored, but we did it a couple of other times too.

So, whilst I applaud your sentiments, I just don't think it would work at home.

They worked really hard last night. Been saying all season Wes should be playing, great to see him play and must now become first choice. Seen criticism of Flemming this morning, how can anyone question him? The one player with true class in the team, a goal and an assist, but still shit? Also, great to see Bart have a good game.

Would take a draw against Hull, but if they keep battling like last night, could nick it

What ever you think of GR, he ain't no quitter and has some stubborn steel about him....Just when you think things are only going to get worse, he manages to pull a result out of the bag. It's pretty obvious we have some decent, skillful players and a bit more pace than last season, so he now needs to pull some results out of the bag at the home games. I suppose he needs to find that elusive home system that works.

Results like last night probably means more will turn up on Saturday who were questioning if it's really worth putting yourself through it all. I wasn't going to go on Saturday, but I probably will now.

:grinning:

Took a lot of character and determination that performance from everyone involved.
Eleventh in the table after ten games which is normally the point where everyone says let’s see where we are then.
Well 11th is exactly where we deserve to be on performances. If we are there come the end of the season I would be happy enough. But we are capable of more.
As said before would like to be entertained more at home, most of the time the football is very dull and frustrating. Away from home we seem to have it sussed bar Norwich.
At home we need more belief and conviction in our finishing and forward play.
At 1-0 up tonight Flemming broke away with the ball at his feet and we had a numerical advantage but instead of driving on he kept waiting and looking behind him for support . Showed a lack of confidence and belief. Hope his goal , a great finish helps build his confidence moving forward. Muscled out there defender for a great ball to Sav for our second and what a finish George.
Onwards we go , we fear no foe
Rowett out

Really
You’re exactly right, it’s as though we mustn’t break at speed. Speed plus accurate passing and receiving will produce goals, fact. Our forwards must read a turnover quicker and move forward faster then be supported.

What ever you think of GR, he ain't no quitter and has some stubborn steel about him....Just when you think things are only going to get worse, he manages to pull a result out of the bag. It's pretty obvious we have some decent, skillful players and a bit more pace than last season, so he now needs to pull some results out of the bag at the home games. I suppose he needs to find that elusive home system that works.

Results like last night probably means more will turn up on Saturday who were questioning if it's really worth putting yourself through it all. I wasn't going to go on Saturday, but I probably will now.

:grinning:
Ok you have to remember when away the onus is on the home side to attack, which they did to be fair. They just came up against a keeper who had a blinder and a fresh stubborn defence. Added to that one bit of top quality passing and finishing. I’m not adding savs goal as we all know it should never of stood, but we’ll take it from a lovely ref. It all changes at home where we usually get heavily pressed back and we struggle to pass our way to the front, which adds to frustration then lack of concentration, leading to the opponents growing in confidence. Bit like us really last night. Psychology needs to be better too. Try pretending we are playing the team at the top every week who haven’t been beaten or let in a goal. Mom was hard last night. A few shone. Possibly Bart.

There is a problem with that. It worked last night because Plymouth attacked like men possessed. As we knew they would, because they always do when they are at home.
Trouble is when we are at home, teams rarely attack us like that. Look at Bristol City. If we had shown the same defensive strategy as them, the ball could have stayed on the centre circle with neither team wanting to touch it.

What happened last night was we absorbed everything Plymouth threw at us. Inevitably they tired and became despondent. The result was gaps appeared in their defensive line that we were able to break through. Not just when we scored, but we did it a couple of other times too.

And this is exactly the problem. GR is an excellent manager, and is an ideal fit for teams fighting against the odds against superior teams with better players. It must be very difficult to switch mentality and tactics every game (sit back away from home, but play on the front foot at home).

Play the same way at home as we do away. 36 matches to go (18 home, 18 away). Win the away matches = 54 points; draw the home ones = 18 points. Sub total = 72 ; Grand Total = 86 points. Possible automatic promotion; definite play-offs. Simples!

I can start immediately as Director of football/ Analyst😁
We'll let you know, few more to see.

And this is exactly the problem. GR is an excellent manager, and is an ideal fit for teams fighting against the odds against superior teams with better players. It must be very difficult to switch mentality and tactics every game (sit back away from home, but play on the front foot at home).
Yes and no, a backs against the wall bodies on the line mentality away from home I’d imagine is not hard to muster.

At home the attitude should be to take it to teams, make it nasty don’t let them breathe and be on the front foot always.

Home or away our players need to come off the pitch absolutely bollocksed, that’s the standard we need to get results as we can’t rely on footballing ability alone.

The reason Man City are so dominant is because they have the work rate and high standards demanded of each other alongside world class footballing ability. Anything less than 110% and Guardiola will drop you.

Yes and no, a backs against the wall bodies on the line mentality away from home I’d imagine is not hard to muster.

At home the attitude should be to take it to teams, make it nasty don’t let them breathe and be on the front foot always.

Home or away our players need to come off the pitch absolutely bollocksed, that’s the standard we need to get results as we can’t rely on footballing ability alone.

The reason Man City are so dominant is because they have the work rate and high standards demanded of each other alongside world class footballing ability. Anything less than 110% and Guardiola will drop you.
Being state owned and cheating the FFP rules also helps them have world class players to replace anyone he drops.

You have to love Millwall. We get stuffed by a team we should have beaten last Saturday and then turn over a side in form at their gaff. It’s nothing if not a rollercoaster ride.
Yeah and it's always been the same mate... at least as far as I remember. If we had Sheffield Wednesday at home this weekend we'd probably lose 4 nil. Then if we were away at Ipswich the following Tuesday we'd pull off a magnificent win. I generically call it 'doing a Millwall'.

I thought at times we played some decent football. Even the 2 Plymouth commentators acknowledged that we were controlling it at times during the 2nd half. Every team dominates the last 10 when losing and chasing the game. Well pleased with that result. Hopefully carry it on to Saturday in another difficult game. Oh and if you want to sing muggy songs at any of our team or Rowett. Don't sit near me.

I thought at times we played some decent football. Even the 2 Plymouth commentators acknowledged that we were controlling it at times during the 2nd half. Every team dominates the last 10 when losing and chasing the game. Well pleased with that result. Hopefully carry it on to Saturday in another difficult game. Oh and if you want to sing muggy songs at any of our team or Rowett. Don't sit near me.
I'm with you on that one, any game costs me time and money I can't easily afford and to have to listen to ignorant crap like that has made think twice about going at the moment, had many long journey's in the 90's when we really were crap and could only dream of what we have today.

Last edited:

My comment was 'tongue in cheek'.

However, if the ball remains on the centre spot for 90 minutes we get a point and that part of the strategy works😉