Norwich v Wall match thread. Sunday 12pm KO

It all seems out of balance, we buy players to advance things, but already are not playing them or not playing them to the best advantage . I take it Bryan was injured? I’ve long been against the formation GR uses, partly because we don’t have the players to use it, three fairly slow Centre backs. If we were drawing games 0-0, fair enough, but 3 against in an 8 man defence? Why he thinks a system that didnt work last season can work with players older who knows, as for the rest, they are good players, yes emakhu looks promising but we have only seen him against tiring teams. Surely we go 433, give us some bite in midfield, and oh yes perhaps our leading scorers and talisman should start.

still think he might turn it around. norwich are a (very annoying) anonomly in this league - we might as well have been playing premier league opposition. too good for the champ, too shit for the prem, they have got a nice little business model going. that's why i hate them, they warp this league and they normally whipe the floor with us with ease. let's see where we are at after brum and stoke, if still dogshit, yes agree it will seem inevitable.
All they do is play quick neat passing football, and react fast with the fitness they have been made to atain. They help each other by moving into a passing position. Nearly every time we have the ball we struggle to have someone available. We are never comfortable on the ball. Forwards know to pressure our back 3 as their ball control will put us in trouble. Fitness between the 2 teams today was easily spotted. Can’t remember the last time we completely outplayed another team.

I don't think he will be sacked and on reflection, it's probably the right decision. We started really badly last season and he turned it around. I think the problem is that if we win a game and play ugly, nobody cares. If we lose a game and play ugly, it looks absolutely terrible and is incredibly frustrating to watch.

Losing today wasn't unexpected as they are a decent side, but the performance was bad. We lost against Bristol City in the last minute and again it was a shitty game and performance. Those games happen.

The two games that really concern me were polar opposites in terms of importance. Losing 0-4 at home to Reading, a team in dire financial straits, boardroom upheaval, who played a load of kids against a pretty near full-strength Millwall team. And the Blackburn game. 3-1 up at half-time and cruising and we somehow lost the game 4-3. Maybe the players did bottle it. But Rowett is the manager and the buck stops there. If you can't see out a game of that importance when you are two goals up at home at half-time then questions need to be asked of everyone.

whilst i am losing faith fast in rowett, i can also understand why he has has said this.
Well, he needs to do something about it then.I think the fans appreciate what he has done and we thought with the current crop of signings we were going to see a different on the front foot approach, but nothing has changed, like for like.
Dull, outdated predictable stuff...i think he needs to get shot of AB and have an attack minded coach to counter his ultra conservative must not lose mind set.

Rowett "I’ve worked so hard here for 4 years, living away from my family, for me, that (fan chants) were poor , I understand they are disappointed . I’m more hurt by the performance on the pitch."

I could easily write a thousand things, but I'll reason with this and leave the debate to others.

GR inherited an unsteady Millwall team when he first came in. Same kind of players as Harris had. GR has, season after season, improved our finishing position, whilst getting rid of leftover dead wood and attracting players into the club of a higher calibre. We have always improved. As a Millwall fan, I don't expect us to be competing for the playoffs season after season. If we are in the same division this time next season I'm happy. Under Rowett, we will not get relegated.
Some need to ask themselves, is it not OK for Rowett and the team to not have 1 mediocre season, or to narrow it down more, a mediocre start to the season.

As I previously said, Rowett has now heard those chants, and his comments after the game has proved that. I honestly don't think he'll apply the same tactics vs Stoke.

Football may not be pretty at times, but the league is a marathon and not a sprint. Knee jerk reactions over a couple or games in can't be the answer. We have enough time to get a player or 2 in. We normally dip into the loan market and GR has been pretty shrewd with this option.

Massive wedge and division between fans and players/staff already, in such a tragic and dark time for our club, who are still in mourning.

We missed De Norre & Joe Bryan today who both picked up knocks during the week. 2 starting players.

For those calling for GRs head, whilst I understand your reasons, but it could be a double edged sword. We were rocked after JBs passing, and whilst certain that we would remain in safe hands, the sad event may well have caused uncertainty with some players.
Even if JB’s passing affected them last week (understandable due to the occasion), they are still professional footballers who’s job it is to go out and try to win football games! Can you honestly say they tried today?
GR moving on could very well unsettle the entire squad, and I don't think it's a risk that board will take.
If the rumour is true that someone on here at the open training day last week, heard from some (one?) of the player’s mouths that certain players in the squad are not happy with Rowett, could that make things any more unsettled than what they currently are?
It's still very early in the season to be hitting the panic button, and while we (mostly) have the personnel, a serious review is required to stop any further slide.
I don’t think it’s a question about hitting the panic button, but more to do with us falling behind the leaders of the pack, the top two of which we haven’t played yet, and they are already 6 points ahead of us! We’re also 4 points behind 3 other teams who are in the play off places, one of whom we play in two weeks time! As you know, we’re notoriously slow starters, and this ever widening gap is not going to help matters!

No one knows how long this slide will continue. If we win or draw at home against Stoke next Saturday then great, we’ve stopped the rot! Lose and then lose away at Birmingham (who did a number on us last season and have strengthened this season), what then?
We got what we asked for when the calls went out for an effective striker, but if the forwards are being let down by who's behind them, then having Pele up front wouldn't make a difference.
True.
Being a defender, I would have thought GR would be ensuring that our lads would be firing on all cylinders. Maybe we need a fresh pair of eyes on the coaching staff to point out our inadequacies, and is trusted enough to have their advice acted upon.
Who knows what the solution is, but I don't think we'll bebreaking any records this season.
I live in hope.
Rowett can be very hit and miss when it comes to geeing up his players! Many times last season we had a shit 1st half, yet turned it around in the 2nd half and did so much better! That would have been down to Rowett and what he said to the players at HT, yet today, whatever he said, went in one ear and out the other! In that instance, you have to blame the players for not responding to what the manager wants! Equally, it is also down to the manager to read the game ‘in play’ and respond to how the opposition is playing against you!

How often does Rowett change a formation to counteract the opposition, or do so to improve our chances of breaking the deadlock? How often does Rowett, like today, replace a sub like for like and nothing changes? All too often, I’m afraid. The problem is, opposition managers sussed all of this out last season, and this season have changed their formations and tactics to stop us, which both Bristol City and Norwich did so effectively!

Last edited:
Rowett has always split opinion when it comes to the fans but I think the majority are against him now.

He needs a performance and a result against Stoke now very badly indeed. What happens next Saturday will have a huge bearing on his future. There have been a few times during his tenure when his back has been against the wall and he has always managed to respond.

Rowett has always split opinion when it comes to the fans but I think the majority are against him now.

He needs a performance and a result against Stoke now very badly indeed. What happens next Saturday will have a huge bearing on his future. There have been a few times during his tenure when his back has been against the wall and he has always managed to respond.
It's like I've said before, it's not about the actual results. It's the performances.

Rowett "I’ve worked so hard here for 4 years, living away from my family, for me, that (fan chants) were poor , I understand they are disappointed . I’m more hurt by the performance on the pitch."
I don't blame him, I didn't join in those chants today as I thought the dreadful performance was down to the players.
No pressing from the front, a lack of movement off the ball and a desperate lack of urgency amongst them all.

Even if JB’s passing effected them last week (understandable due to the occasion), they are still professional footballers who’s job it is to go out and try to win football games! Can you honestly say they tried today?

If the rumour is true that someone on here at the open training day last week, heard from some (one?) of the player’s mouths that certain players in the squad are not happy with Rowett, could that make things any more unsettled than what they currently are?

I don’t think it’s a question about hitting the panic button, but more to do with us falling behind the leaders of the pack, the top two of which we haven’t played yet, and they are already 6 points ahead of us! We’re also 4 points behind 3 other teams who are in the play off places, one of whom we play in two weeks time! As you know, we’re notoriously slow starters, and this ever widening gap is not going to help matters!

No one knows how long this slide will continue. If we win or draw at home against Stoke next Saturday then great, we’ve stopped the rot! Lose and then lose away at Birmingham (who did a number on us last season and have strengthened this season), what then?

True.

Rowett can be very hit and miss when it comes to geeing up his players! Many times last season we had a shit 1st half, yet turned it around in the 2nd half and did so much better! That would have been down to Rowett and what he said to the players at HT, yet today, whatever he said, went in one ear and out the other! In that instance, you have to blame the players for not responding to what the manager wants! Equally, it is also down to the manager to read the game ‘in play’ and respond to how the opposition is playing against you!

How often does Rowett change a formation to counteract the opposition, or do so to improve our chances of breaking the deadlock? How often does Rowett, like today, replace a sub like for like and nothing changes? All too often, I’m afraid. The problem is, opposition managers sussed all of this out last season, and this season have changed their formations and tactics to stop us, which both Bristol City and Norwich did so effectively!
Can't argue against any of the points you have raised. I agree 100% about like for like subs, and their timing - and most definitely about the squad being professionals. I suppose GR can only set the match tactics, and have faith in his players. I think he may possibly be making too many allowances for our weakest positions, and the need to identify and address the weaknesses is overdue.

Rowett: "If you have paid your hard-earned money to come I understand if you see that performance. But as a human being, it is hurtful to get that 3 games in after the 4 years work I have done."
Should be used to it, had the same chant everywhere he goes!!!!

Audio from Rowett interview after the game.
I'm none the wiser as to whether GR knows what the problem is or problems are. Just hope him and the players can bang their heads together and sort it out. Yes we were very very good at Boro, but seeing results since, how bad were Boro.
Convinced there is a very decent football team in there, it's a question of finding it and that is down to GR and the coaching staff then the players.
COYL