Millwall in the eighties- your memories

Great post on what is a brilliant thread (Cheers Peckham!). Reading this is a reminder of those heady days, it was more than just football. It was about growing up on the estate, fighting, leaving school with your life in front of you, the laughs, your mates, birds, the days and nights on the piss, puffing, the OKR, pubs, clubs, characters, clobber, trainers, away games, jibbing, music and Millwall. We really did live through the best of times, I wish we could go back and do it all again.
I don'think my liver or mental health could cope a second time around :grinning:

Great post also mate. Reading that and comapaing it to my sons world at the same it's miles apart. It really is a different world. Seems like we had everything on our doorsteps and all accessable too!

Plus covent Garden, Victoria and Waterloo if Pompey was in town.

The Pompey years is the stuff of legend ain’t it? I met an old 657 face in Tenerife once who told me a story that because the wackers were always ambushing them around Waterloo the pompey lot hatched a plan to take a good mob to a inconspicuous away game then on the way back go looking for the Wackers who would be hanging around as usual.

He said they left their game early and got back to Waterloo firm handed and went looking around the deserted tunnels and alleys around the station but disappointedly there was no trace of Wall. They went back into the station to wait for the last train back to Portsmouth when a couple of his mates decided to run across the road to the chip shop next to the Wellington and that was the last they saw of them until a week later at Fratton Park when they both had black eyes and fat lips. Apparently they were waiting in the queue at the chippy when 20 of our finest appeared out of the darkness, dragged them outside and kicked the shit out of them:LOL::LOL:

I was too young for the early 80s stuff but have heard loads about the infamous ‘Battle of Waterloo’ (82?) that made the national press. Was any upstanding gentlemen on here present?

Peeeaaaanuts!
Pissing in the bogs at the half way line.
Plymouth 1-0 Lovell winner on my dads shoulders in 82.
Newcastle at home 4-0.
Sheffield Weds 2-0 down at half time. Won 4-2 against an inform David Hirst.
The list is probably endless. Seems like a lifetime ago.
Had a plain clothes old bill split my heads open that sheff weds game in the Ilderton road end, although I didn't see it , was told they had to drag him out

Millwall in the 80's created a way of life for me, when i think of it now, completely entwined, one, made the other. The Crown and Anchor, The Fox, The Old Kent Road,.........one night after we came beck from Southampton i think, Arsenal were in the Frog giving it large. A small group of kids (we were only kids ourselves but they were younger than us )came out as we were passing and told us that they were terrorising all inside. We waited until they came out and chased them all over and give it to them :):):)
getting a coach to Coventry from the Tyrell, and making the coach driver drive through a market as he didnt know the way :)
The coaches from the Lizzie.
Meeting and becoming friends with people i hade never met before, Charlie, Podge, Lenny, T B and H...............The O K R was buzzing every weekend after football.
The other pubs, Kellys, The Kings on the rye, Cheeks, The Lyceum, the pub at the bottom of Blackheath (That Greg owned, name escapes me know.) That club in Herne Hill, opposite Brockwell Park, ................ Had a big row with Chelsea there one night, we were massively outnumbered, but didnt fold and gave it to them.....the next week........... What a Millwall turn out, they fecking shite themselves :)...........................
the specials, (not the group) Rashers, Farah's Le Pel, Swan lager, (the black ones were stronger) The music

It really was a way of life. every monday planning for the away games. Wages were really poor then, but we did it all, for so many years. Clothes, music, spills, wicked people, the old den, the peanut seller, crowds of 3'000 at times. I just loved it all. Unless one was there, it is just too hard to describe without sounding like a pussy. Samsons, Gillys the Apples and Pears, the Windsor, that one in Tower Bridge. Everywhere in our area was Millwall, no grey areas. Definatley no other shirts
It was all Millwall related, and of the 80's.

This is before i recall the games.......... But to me, it was a time, and the best time i have had with the lions. As stated, bigger results and games in the new den. But the 80's.................. absolutely loved, loved, loved it ..........
Lucky man. Sounds amazing.

View attachment 22576

I met some of the finest and gamest men i;ve ever known in that pub. and the crown. Crazy place mate :grinning:
First time I went to the fox I was just about to walk in the door and a bar stall come flying out head hight, every time after that I'd let someone go in front of me as we got to the door. Except when I'd go down with my staff weekdays I weren't risking him.

I was too young for the early 80s stuff but have heard loads about the infamous ‘Battle of Waterloo’ (82?) that made the national press. Was any upstanding gentlemen on here present?
I can account for 1985 onwards. The Waterloo thing 82 is legendry when you hear from chaps that we're old enough and present. I knew that Wall was always on parade early for when Pompey were came down down.

Have had some fun and games with them down the years, Queens road and White hart turnouts were top notch. We was with BW and outnumbered at first but we still took it to them.

Plenty at their place that's been done on here before. Always rated them when it counted. Travelled well unlike like many firms and made an effort.

I can account for 1985 onwards. The Waterloo thing 82 is legendry when you hear from chaps that we're old enough and present. I knew that Wall was always on parade early for when Pompey were came down down.

Have had some fun and games with them down the years, Queens road and White hart turnouts were top notch. We was with BW and outnumbered at first but we still took it to them.

Plenty at their place that's been done on here before. Always rated them when it counted. Travelled well unlike like many firms and made an

Think this was the one with them getting ambushed coming up the escalator, one of ours got a full unopened tin of beer in the face sparking him out, think they were at Fulham that day 🤔 many, many tear up’s with them even the night game at the den circa 83 when they got bombarded with toffee apples over the ilderton fence 😂 seem to recall them turning up at Wimbledon or it might have been Brentford early 80’s who we were playing although I wasn’t there but got told about it.

White Hart well after the 80's but was in there with a mate and all the Pompey turned up... there was one fella itching to have a go at me, so as massively outnumbered I sneaked out the side door... 2 mins later Wall came from around the back and attacked the pub... the geezer giving it to me was laying in the middle of the road covered in claret out cold... shame.

Sunday afternoon lock ins before all day opening was introduced were legendary in there.
Used to have the Sunday afternoon lock in in EJs would be absolutely packed, dj still playing, around 4-5 sh would ring Blue anchor cabs ask them to get 10-15 (depending how many of us) wimpy and chips and deliver ir, which they did everytime, also quite a few times walked out of their early hours Monday morning and straight ti work😳

Superb times, My memory is fading but does anyone remember about 1981 at Exeter, standing outside a boozer and a load of Bikers (Satans Slaves or some shite) got chased about. Funny as fk. Again I could be wrong on year and Team but sure it was at Exeter.