Millwall in the eighties- your memories

but always had humour on the terraces
I've heard some of the best one liners, piss takeing and drop dead insults ever, down the Den. To refs, players, stewards ,OB and away fans at Wall. All comes out naturally and often in the tone that it should for best affect. No growling or amplified ,spit littered frothing, but just cool, calm, perfectly timed comedy.

Who remembers the lino with his flag strapped to a stump cause he only had one arm?

I remember the floodlights going out in a cup game - can't remember who we played but they had a big bloke/cunt wearing a headband if that helps?
We were playing Luton and the player with the headband was Steve Foster.

Luton tried to get the game stopped as they were losing, but the CBL pelted them with missiles as they tried to get off the pitch. A copper came on the pitch and told the ref not to be a plonker and complete the game.

Oct 83 v Burnley. Millwall win 2-0. My first ever game. To be honest I wasn’t a Wall fan at the time, more of a football fanatic, so I was more excited with the Burnley squad, which had Gerry Gow and a Brian Flynn whom I remebered from the home internationals. Bryan Hamilton who the summer previously was scoring the winning goal v Spain in the World Cup.

However, from then on it was Millwall only.

Remember the cup games v Leicester, Chelsea and Luton. Fashanu and Lovell. my first away game v Reading in Doc’s first season.

Michael’s Marks scoring a hat trick before Teddy.

The league cup game at QPR, when Jim Smith compared our support to a horde of Zulu’s . The Simon cup game at West Ham.

Away to Birmingham in our league winning season, losing 0-1, coming away from that game, winning the league was furthest from our minds but was the start of our incredible run.

Away at Liverpool and OT, playing arsenal off the pitch at Highbury and Briley’s goal being ruled out for a phantom’s offside by Teddy.

Sing Terry’s gonna get cha.

Great, great, great days
Gerry Armstrong scored the goal against Spain mate.

Luton tried to get the game stopped as they were losing, but the CBL pelted them with missiles as they tried to get off the pitch. A copper came on the pitch and told the ref not to be a plonker and complete the game.
I remember Les smacking Danny Wilson straight on the chin. I think it was this match.

Millwall in the 80's created a way of life for me, when i think of it now, completely entwined, one, made the other. The Crown and Anchor, The Fox, The Old Kent Road,.........one night after we came beck from Southampton i think, Arsenal were in the Frog giving it large. A small group of kids (we were only kids ourselves but they were younger than us )came out as we were passing and told us that they were terrorising all inside. We waited until they came out and chased them all over and give it to them :):):)
getting a coach to Coventry from the Tyrell, and making the coach driver drive through a market as he didnt know the way :)
The coaches from the Lizzie.
Meeting and becoming friends with people i hade never met before, Charlie, Podge, Lenny, T B and H...............The O K R was buzzing every weekend after football.
The other pubs, Kellys, The Kings on the rye, Cheeks, The Lyceum, the pub at the bottom of Blackheath (That Greg owned, name escapes me know.) That club in Herne Hill, opposite Brockwell Park, ................ Had a big row with Chelsea there one night, we were massively outnumbered, but didnt fold and gave it to them.....the next week........... What a Millwall turn out, they fecking shite themselves :)...........................
the specials, (not the group) Rashers, Farah's Le Pel, Swan lager, (the black ones were stronger) The music

It really was a way of life. every monday planning for the away games. Wages were really poor then, but we did it all, for so many years. Clothes, music, spills, wicked people, the old den, the peanut seller, crowds of 3'000 at times. I just loved it all. Unless one was there, it is just too hard to describe without sounding like a pussy. Samsons, Gillys the Apples and Pears, the Windsor, that one in Tower Bridge. Everywhere in our area was Millwall, no grey areas. Definatley no other shirts
It was all Millwall related, and of the 80's.

This is before i recall the games.......... But to me, it was a time, and the best time i have had with the lions. As stated, bigger results and games in the new den. But the 80's.................. absolutely loved, loved, loved it ..........
That's a superb post and summary about what was a way of life for many of us of a certain age. Everything was changing for the better for some of us. The the hifi systems, Clobber, electronic and imported dance music and wages.

At the age of 16 i was earning £65 a day for digging trenches for murphys. McNicholas, Hollerens etc. A pint was a pound, fags,less, rent- fuckall, and only your dick to keep. The rest on Millwall, clobber. Music and sorts, fucking marvellous times!

Meeting and becoming friends with people i hade never met before, Charlie, Podge, Lenny, T B and H.....
:tophat::tophat::tophat:

Amen to that mate. Top people. i'm good pals with another chap from that lot and age group. We still go together and speak on the blower often. They're a bit older than me but they're all still in good nick healthwise. They still have the odd dance in them on occassion and under the correct circumstances.

That club in Herne Hill, opposite Brockwell Park,
Bon bonnie? Ginger Bob used to do the sherberts from there if i remember correctly.

I used to go to the Grange, Connoisseurs and Sansoms a lot of the time. Never liked the dunne cow or Gin Palace. Rashers on the way home for a stoinker :love:

Had a lot of mates from Bermondsey, Walworth which was rare for a bod from Peckham but i never got involved with what amounted to blue on blue. I also knew Arsenal bods from Walworth, a black Chelseas bod also from se17, all thugs but decent away from football.

I see my Chelsea mate absolutely clobber the icf's Cassandra into a gibbering pulp on the old kings road. We had an away game so 15 or so of us Wall went Chelsea V Vermin with the little nutter we knew from Walworth. He's a black chap that was okay with our older lot.

Anyway after the game- Chelsea mob outside start moving through those flats and to the Nell gwyn pub and plot up. Next thing West ham come round the corner further up the road and come forth and bosh it's off. Chelsea straight into them- West ham standing now.

By this point me and the other Wall lads are whacking anything that moved and taking a few digs too. Start moving forward cause there's gaps opening up.

That's when the little black fella windmills Casandra to the floor. He then took a few good volleys to make sure he was still conscious from a few innocent bystanders from Peckham who, by chance, were on there way to an antique auction on Lotts road* :clap:

I bet he hasn't put the above in his fucking jackanory Trilogy.

Casanadra- 40 years -

A blurred history of facts & walk down lost memory Lane.

* Never defeated but often unseated.*

Available from all shit charity shops from Monday.

Last edited:

It was a member of the fire crew that was attending the match who helped fix the floodlights. I think he was an electrician by trade. I was there off duty.

What started out in the third division under George Petchey in 1980 in front of average crowds of 4,495 and finished in relegation from the top tier in 89 in front of an average crowd of 12,427, Bar the first few seasons of this decade it really was a great time to be alive and going to Millwall. From decent cup runs, to promotion, to watching a future England striker and european cup winner banging in the goals for wall.

Add your memories,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

View attachment 22567
Peeeaaaanuts!
Pissing in the bogs at the half way line.
Plymouth 1-0 Lovell winner on my dads shoulders in 82.
Newcastle at home 4-0.
Sheffield Weds 2-0 down at half time. Won 4-2 against an inform David Hirst.
The list is probably endless. Seems like a lifetime ago.

That's a superb post ans summary about what was a way of life for many of us of a certain age. Everything was changing for the better for some of us. The the hifi systems, Clobber. electronic and imported dance music,, waged. At the age of 16 i was earning £65 a day for digging trenches for murphys. McNicholas, Hollerens etc. A pint was a pound, fags,less, rent- fuckall, and only your dick to keep. The rest on Millwall, clobber. Music and sorts, fucking marvellous times!

:tophat::tophat::tophat:

Amen to that mate. Top people. i'm good pals with another chap from that lot and age group. We still go together and speak on the blower often. They're a bit older than me but they're all still in good nick healthwise. They still have the odd dance in them on occassion and under the correct circumstances.

Bon bonnie? Ginger Bob used to do the sherberts from there if i remember correctly.

I used to go to the Grange and Sansoms a lot of the time. Never liked the dunne cow or Gin Palace.

Had a lot of mates from Bermondsey, Walworth which was rare for a bod from Peckham but i never got involved with what amounted to blue on blue. I also knew Arsenal bods from Walworth, a black Chelseas bod also from se17, all thugs but decent away from football.

I see my Chelsea mate absolutely clobber the icf's Cassandra into a gibbering pulp on the old kings road. We had an away game so 15 or so of us Wall went ChelseasV Vermin with the little nutter we knew from Walworth. He's black chap that was okay with our older lot.

Anyway after the game- Chelsea mob outside start moving through those flats and to the Nell gwyn pub and plot up. Next thing West ham come round the corner further up the road and come forth and bosh it's off. Chelsea straight into them- West ham standing now.

By this point me and the other Wall lads are whacking anything that moved and taking a few digs too. Start moving forward cause there's gaps opening up. That's when the little black fella windmills Casandra to the floor. He then took a few good volleys from a few innocent bystanders from Peckham ,who, by chance, were on there way to an antique auction on Lotts road* :clap:

I bet he hasn't put the above in his fucking jackanory Trilogy.

Casanadra- 40 years -

A blurred history of facts & walk down lost memory Lane.

* Never defeated but often unseated.*

Available from all shit charity shops from Monday.
Loved Sansoms

Loved Sansoms
Often a starting point for us if we didn't go Horseshoe first. I liked it, always good dj's. Same for the Grange. You remember the black chap and sometimes Wall attendee Danny Walters ?

Very easy going bloke, Arsenal chap but well connected at Wall. I see him down West Moreland road not that long ago. He played Friday and Saturday night in the Grange.

Last edited:
Great memories of going to matches with the older blokes from my Ma & Da's pub, they were funny as fuck, bought me beers in The Archer before and after the game, i was 16, and smoked puff on the terraces hahaha "Don't tell your fucking Mum!!" Dancing on the pitch after the Blackburn game hugging strangers, grown men in tears, will never forget that day it was like a rave.

Members online