Match Thread Huddersfield V Millwall

It’s so frustrating!

Either it’s the players, or it’s Drawett (or both), but motivation and consistency seems to be the key problem here!

Before the start of this game, the players themselves should have been motivated enough to know that, if they did their job right, and other results went their way, the team could have finished in 6th place tonight! If that isn’t motivation enough, then what is going to be? Drawett can’t be motivating the players (or if he is, the players aren’t listening, or Drawett isn’t selling it properly).

Bradshaw, in particular, needed from Rowett that motivation, to build on his brace last week, but as has been said up thread, Drawett doesn’t make the right changes in the right minutes, and the very thing he set out to do (picking a formation that wouldn’t concede away), comes true because his tactics are too defensive! It’s as if Drawett has his own self fulfilling prophecy that nearly always comes true!

Tell you what, Gazza, how about using your prophecy skills on telling me in advance the correct lottery numbers tonight? Then, when I win it, I can buy into Millwall with a seat on the board and have a word in JB’s lughole, giving him a few reasons why I think you should no longer be Millwall’s manager!
He's a boring bloke full stop. Can imagine his tesm talks. Quiet, uninformative & boring.
Thats enough to bring the players down before they even kick off.

Having said that, the players should look at the fans who travelled today & been motivated by that alone!

No leadership, way too much caution & in general a lack of Wall attitude.
Recent wins mean nothing when shit like that today gets served up.

He's a boring bloke full stop. Can imagine his tesm talks. Quiet, uninformative & boring.
Thats enough to bring the players down before they even kick off.

Having said that, the players should look at the fans who travelled today & been motivated by that alone!

No leadership, way too much caution & in general a lack of Wall attitude.
Recent wins mean nothing when shit like that today gets served up.
This. 100%

I’ve supported GR up until now, but 5 efforts and just one on target simply isn’t good enough.

Huddersfield’s 14 efforts and 6 on target suggests GR’s defensive strategy wasn’t too successful either.

It’s a shame they didn’t score earlier, it might have given more time to make changes and for them to work.

GR needs to do the honourable thing and stand down but I won’t hold my breath.

Huddersfield’s 14 efforts and 6 on target suggests GR’s defensive strategy wasn’t too successful either.
Plus, you don't need to be a genius to work out that if we are attacking and have the ball in their half, THEY CAN'T SCORE!
So by attacking you reduce the opposition's chances to score themselves.
FFS it's not rocket science, is it?
That game was there for the taking today, and Rowett handed it to them on a plate.

I bet we don't see him on video tonight defending that pile of crap.

Unfortunately we're stuck with this one step forward one step back for the rest of the season. Even if he changes to 442 at home and we happen to win a good few games (can't see him doing it no matter what he says on camera) he will never change away from home.
FFS stop worrying about the opposition every single time and get on the front foot.
Any feel good factor from last week went out the window with the five at the back, and GRs tactics. We can still be positive even with a back 5, but not how GR wants to play.
Absolutely wank performance today, got what we deserved, and that is all down to GR. Feel gutted for those that made the trip, they deserved more.

With such a lack of ambition our best players will move on. Even if we don’t get into the play offs we should do our utmost to finish as high as possible. Drawett does not seem fussed as long as we don’t go down.

I would have thought, as the closing minutes ticked towards half time, Drawett would be looking back on the half and thinking, “Right, we’ve had 2 attempts on goal - 1 on target, but the midfield is getting over run! I’ll make immediate changes for the start of the 2nd half and bring on Mahoney, Mitchell and Smith! Otherwise the 2nd half will be just as bad as the 1st!”

Unfortunately, Drawett doesn’t think that way! Instead, he thinks the inspirational team talk he’s going to give during half time, will be enough to lift the players to play better 2nd half! When, 10 minutes into that 2nd half, and there’s been no improvement, he will still be of the mindset that if the defence remains resolute, they can counter and nick a 1 nil lead! So no changes are made!

It’s not until the 65 - 70 minute mark (though sometimes much later - as witnessed today), that Drawett will finally, reluctantly, change formation and tactics - though it’s usually after we’ve already gone 1 nil down! It’s not until then (or the game is still 0 - 0), that Drawett suddenly wakes up and realises changes can be made - either to shore up the defence to keep it at 0 - 0 or 1 - 1, or in a rare moment of - belief? (in the players and/or himself), throws Smith and a n other on, to try and get a boring 1 nil win!

The problem is, that Drawett follows this same scenario, pretty much every game, whether we’re losing or drawing. His mindset is so entrenched that he refuses to change it until it is absolutely necessary, yet every time we lose, or affect a draw, he doesn’t think that what he’s doing is in any way wrong! Therefore, he has no reason to break this cycle by being bold enough to try something new (4-4-2 at home and/or away, from minute 1 to minute 90). If he did, it would probably make the players happy (as it would be playing to their strengths), and it would definitely make us, the supporters happy, as all we‘ve ever wanted at Millwall is to see desire and commitment from ever player who pulls on a blue jersey! If a decent level of exciting, attacking football can be added on top, then our supporters will be happy!

Drawett’s been here long enough now, that he should know what the supporters expect, both from him and from the players. The fact is, that after two years in charge he still doesn’t seem to know what Millwall is, or what it’s supporters want and expect, and that to me is a huge worry!

My feeling is, if he doesn’t know by now, will he ever know?

Your football is shit, your football is shit, Gary Rowlett your football is shit.

Can understand why fans of his previous clubs sing this now. And I agree with them, hopefully won’t be long before we are singing that at him when he is managing another club against us.

We should be buzzing off the last few results, in form and climbing the league, what a come down this was, Thanks Rowlett !!!

I would have thought, as the closing minutes ticked towards half time, Drawett would be looking back on the half and thinking, “Right, we’ve had 2 attempts on goal - 1 on target, but the midfield is getting over run! I’ll make immediate changes for the start of the 2nd half and bring on Mahoney, Mitchell and Smith! Otherwise the 2nd half will be just as bad as the 1st!”

Unfortunately, Drawett doesn’t think that way! Instead, he thinks the inspirational team talk he’s going to give during half time, will be enough to lift the players to play better 2nd half! When, 10 minutes into that 2nd half, and there’s been no improvement, he will still be of the mindset that if the defence remains resolute, they can counter and nick a 1 nil lead! So no changes are made!

It’s not until the 65 - 70 minute mark (though sometimes much later - as witnessed today), that Drawett will finally, reluctantly, change formation and tactics - though it’s usually after we’ve already gone 1 nil down! It’s not until then (or the game is still 0 - 0), that Drawett suddenly wakes up and realises changes can be made - either to shore up the defence to keep it at 0 - 0 or 1 - 1, or in a rare moment of - belief? (in the players and/or himself), throws Smith and a n other on, to try and get a boring 1 nil win!

The problem is, that Drawett follows this same scenario, pretty much every game, whether we’re losing or drawing. His mindset is so entrenched that he refuses to change it until it is absolutely necessary, yet every time we lose, or affect a draw, he doesn’t think that what he’s doing is in any way wrong! Therefore, he has no reason to break this cycle by being bold enough to try something new (4-4-2 at home and/or away, from minute 1 to minute 90). If he did, it would probably make the players happy (as it would be playing to their strengths), and it would definitely make us, the supporters happy, as all we‘ve ever wanted at Millwall is to see desire and commitment from ever player who pulls on a blue jersey! If a decent level of exciting, attacking football can be added on top, then our supporters will be happy!

Drawett’s been here long enough now, that he should know what the supporters expect, both from him and from the players. The fact is, that after two years in charge he still doesn’t seem to know what Millwall is, or what it’s supporters want and expect, and that to me is a huge worry!

My feeling is, if he doesn’t know by now, will he ever know?
He is the sort of bloke that would manage the Brazil 1970 team in exactly the same way, modern football is full of these types, Harris and Southgate are in the same mould, tedious, backwards football that nobody wants to watch!!!

What a crap day out. Stuck in traffic for ages on m62 and then a62 and then subject to 90 minutes of non football. I'm not unrealistic and don't expect us to win every week, all i ask and expect in return for parting with my hard earned money is that the team actually has a go. Huddersfield were nothing IMO and we hardly threatened at all. I could accept having a crack and falling short and maybe losing 2-1 or 3-2 but at least give it your best shot. Today was a new low in boring negative football. Absolute rubbish. Where do i apply to get my money back? The highlight of the day was a cracking pork and apple sausage roll i got at the butchers in epworth before i left this morning.

He is the sort of bloke that would manage the Brazil 1970 team in exactly the same way, modern football is full of these types, Harris and Southgate are in the same mould, tedious, backwards football that nobody wants to watch!!!
Yep, I would also add Hollowhead and Big Nose (as Cardiff manager), to that list!

Oh, funny how all but Drawett and the Gonk are now unemployed! Hopefully soon, these two will soon join the others mentioned!

Maybe Marvel will snap them up to form a super hero group! They could call themselves ‘The (not so) Fantastic Four’! 🤣

Last edited: