Long

It doesn't matter who you think is the best keeper, none of us are the manager ( sorry Gary if your lurking and looking for transfer targets as we know more than you ).
What matters is who Rowett wants between the sticks

I'm not a fan of loan signings but maybe GR could have a look at
Lucas Bergström. 20 years old. 6'7 from Finland, no chance of getting in the Chelsea team next season. He was on loan at Peterborough last season keeping 9 clean sheets in 28 games and he has won a cap for Finland in a friendly against Sweden where he played the full 90 minutes.

He's able to make a save though, isn't he? And to say your 14 year old son can play better in goal for a championship team is beyond laughable. So on both points, you're not correct.
If you want a proper debate then come up with some decent and realistic points.
I don't want a debate tbh. I really don't need your approval of my opinion. I think long is dogshit and that's the end of it

Good quality keepers are hard to come by, soppy Chelsea have spent millions in the past few seasons on keepers and they have turned out shit and liabilities. We have had some good keepers over the years, Keller, Denzil, Forde but they all made errors, always remember Keller practicing the back pass and all good in the warm up, come the game he was terrible. If Bart was to start next season I don’t think he would be the keeper he was, Long has made mistakes all keepers do but he has made some good saves and his distribution has led to getting us in good attacking positions. If there was a quality keeper in our league the club would be highly unlikely to sell and if they did a premier league side would pay silly money. Long will be in goal next season with Bart on the bench, only opportunity Bart will get if Long gets injured, suspended or Rowett cannot ignore consistent poor displays or mistakes. Cannot see any movement on the keeper front so hopefully the back line can reduce shots and Long can pull off saves when it matters…. Me saying all this and Rowett will get in a new keeper 😂

We will probably need to move a keeper on before we can sign another.

If we don’t get to sign a new keeper this summer, Long needs to drastically improve his positioning and foot movement for long shots otherwise the opposition will look to exploit it every game.

I don't give a toss how good Long's kicking is. The goalkeepers first and main aim is to be able to make a save. If he's not capable of that then he should stick to playing golf!
He was rated the 10th best keeper in the division. Only conceded more goals than Burnley, Luton, Sheffield Utd & Coventry. The 'bad' goals were caused by the 'better defence' not closing down players around the D. Hopfully the defensive midfielder we dont need will sort that. Its almost like GR knows what hes doing, doesnt it??

Last edited:
Hope the crowd don’t turn on Long but I suspect they will.
It’s a position that thrives on confidence. The more shit he gets, the more pressure he’ll feel, the more mistakes he’ll make.

Hope the crowd don’t turn on Long but I suspect they will.
It’s a position that thrives on confidence. The more shit he gets, the more pressure he’ll feel, the more mistakes he’ll make.
Archer is a prime example fella, player of the season 15/6 season. The stick he took ( belongs in the burey thread) destroyed him,

Archer is a prime example fella, player of the season 15/6 season. The stick he took ( belongs in the burey thread) destroyed him,
Exactly. How these morons think abusing our own fans benefits us in anyway is beyond me

I don't want a debate tbh. I really don't need your approval of my opinion.
You're making things up, again with the last sentence.

"I think Long's shit and my 14 year old lad can do better than him" really doesn't cut any mustard in anything you want to say about Long.. similar to Norwichs Nan being able to do better than Benik.

You be you, but cunting a player before a ball is kicked for the new season doesn't bode well for the up coming 46 games. More stick we give our own, the more backwards we'll go.

Not here for a row, but some things people say are highly laughable.

i can't say i will slag him off but long is just not good enough we can improve
our goalkeeper for around 500k no need to spend big doe
how many time last season when watching a game i left feeling he should of done better how many long range shots went pass him not in the coroner a good yard or two in side the post

21/22 Bart played 4140 minutes (46 matches) 14 clean sheets 30.4%

22/23 Long played 3240 36 matches 12 clean sheets 33%

I like Bart, but overall Long is a better prospect.
The previous 2 seasons Bart had 16 clean sheets (34%) and 17 cleans sheets (37%) so not sure what you're trying to prove by that.

He also won player of the season...twice!

It's not slagging a player off, just merely stating that another player is better. Long is ok but Bart is better, in my opinion.

The previous 2 seasons Bart had 16 clean sheets (34%) and 17 cleans sheets (37%) so not sure what you're trying to prove by that.

He also won player of the season...twice!

It's not slagging a player off, just merely stating that another player is better. Long is ok but Bart is better, in my opinion.
The previous 2 seasons. Not last season. Long is younger, faster, kicks better & does a lot less palming away.

Long was directly responsible for 10-12 goals last year, and if you think that is an exaggeration please watch the season highlights. His horrendous mistake against Sunderland at home when he came crashing out and completely missed the ball, cost us the play-offs alone. He goes down slowly and almost in stages so he cannot reach shots in the corner, on top of that his positioning is poor. He can’t even do the basics such as push the ball out to the side, he pushes it out in front, (you are taught that at school). Ask Hull about their 8-0 defeat to Wigan after which he became a laughing stock, as they only had eight shots on goal. He’s the worst keeper I’ve seen for a long time, probably since Pat Cuff although my memory isn’t what it used to be. But apparently he can kick a football. In my opinion we would probably have gone up if Bart had stayed in goal.

Last edited:
All that matters is "We only conceded more goals than Burnley, Luton, Sheffield Utd & Coventry." And 3 of those got promoted. All keepers make mistakes. Its the final result that matters, That is the measure of a defence of which, in case you have not noticed the keeper is a part. How many mistakes have defenders made last season. I bet they made more than Long.

Last edited:
Long was directly responsible for 10-12 goals last year, and if you think that is an exaggeration please watch the season highlights. His horrendous mistake against Sunderland at home when he came crashing out and completely missed the ball, cost us the play-offs alone. He goes down slowly and almost in stages so he cannot reach shots in the corner, on top of that his positioning is poor. He can’t even do the basics such as push the ball out to the side, he pushes it out in front, (you are taught that at school). Ask Hull about their 8-0 defeat to Wigan after which he became a laughing stock, as they only had eight shots on goal. He’s the worst keeper I’ve seen for a long time, probably since Pat Cuff although my memory isn’t what it used to be. But apparently he can kick a football. In my opinion we would probably have gone up if Bart had stayed in goal.
Agree with this totally. I go back to the late 60's and he is as bad as any first choice I can remember.
Personally, I think there is more to the Bart situation than we know about.
For sure there is an issue with sides getting too many shots off on the edge of our box, but there is so much wrong in Long's game it's laughable he's playing at this level.