Just Back v Posh

people slag afobe but i bet you this - he is one of the first on the team sheet. if you look he is normally in acres of space (but we rarely find him) and i'm never surprised when he scores. 12 goals now, 1 in 3 games. i'd like to keep him
Of course he’s in acres of space, he stands 20 yards off side when we take a free kick! :rolleyes: (obviously a GR tactic)
Look, he tries & he plays with a smile, he’s not got the greatest first touch and the over head kick he tried was ridiculous but I know what you mean, he’s honest & he doesn’t hide. I’ve warmed to him but he would need to take a pay cut for him to stay

I noticed several times today that Benik was indicating he wanted the ball and where. He was ignored every time.
So, those who want to see him score more need to brief his team mates to give him the ball more.
Simples.
Why isn’t Rowett seeing this during each game?

Why doesn’t Afobe tell Rowett that other players are ignoring him?

Rowett says Afobe should have scored more goals this season, so why not help him achieve that by instructing his other players to do what Afobe wants, and pass the ball to him where he wants it?

If Afobe scores an extra 5 - 7 goals a season this way, it could mean two or three more wins, thereby making the difference between reaching the play offs and falling short again!

he’s honest & he doesn’t hide. I’ve warmed to him but he would need to take a pay cut for him to stay
The Stoke supporters don’t want him, and I’m sure their club don’t want him either, so i think a deal to suit all parties could be thrashed out!

As Afobe has 1 year left on his contract, Stoke may try to off load him for a fee, hoping another Championship side might buy him. If there are no takers, then it would be fair that we be given first refusal to sign him on loan again. Then, at the end of the season, if he’s scored a decent number of goals, sign him on a permanent contract.

Afobe has moved clubs a few times over his career, and was one of Rowett’s signings when he was Stoke manager. Stoke paid £12M for him, and I’m sure Afobe got a decent amount of wedge from that, plus his high weekly salary, so I don’t think the bloke is somehow strapped for cash at the moment!

Rowett feels Afobe has fitted in well at Millwall. It’s also been said that he likes the club and its supporters, so maybe, after being left out in the cold for so long at Stoke, Afobe may be prepared to take a wage cut, cut his ties with Stoke, and sign and play for a club that actually wants him!

The Stoke supporters don’t want him, and I’m sure their club don’t want him either, so i think a deal to suit all parties could be thrashed out!

As Afobe has 1 year left on his contract, Stoke may try to off load him for a fee, hoping another Championship side might buy him. If there are no takers, then it would be fair that we be given first refusal to sign him on loan again. Then, at the end of the season, if he’s scored a decent number of goals, sign him on a permanent contract.

Afobe has moved clubs a few times over his career, and was one of Rowett’s signings when he was Stoke manager. Stoke paid £12M for him, and I’m sure Afobe got a decent amount of wedge from that, plus his high weekly salary, so I don’t think the bloke is somehow strapped for cash at the moment!

Rowett feels Afobe has fitted in well at Millwall. It’s also been said that he likes the club and its supporters, so maybe, after being left out in the cold for so long at Stoke, Afobe may be prepared to take a wage cut, cut his ties with Stoke, and sign and play for a club that actually wants him!
Adobe might be prepared take a pay cut but whether is agent will is another matter entirely

A decent second half and a deserved three points.

We made a bright start with Danny and Burke combining well down the right and Murray and Saville doing similar down the left and there was an early chance that came to nothing. There was little to commend the first half. They had the lions share of possession but caused little threat. There were two half chances and ours was a through ball to Benik in the box but it ran away from him and the keeper collected. There was a distinct lack of urgency on our part plus some poor passing and the omens did not look good. The last three minutes of the first half they had their noses in front but could do little to threaten our goal. In fact, I think there were no saves made by either keeper in the first 45. One of my mates said that you would have had difficulty working out which team were at the bottom and which team was at the top. Another mate almost nodded off and did ask me to give him a prod if he fell asleep. The first half ended goal less.

Things had to improve during the second half. GR went to a back four and put Leonard in midfield and we started to grab the initiative. There was more urgency in the play, we were driving forward, picking up second balls and starting to look a threat. They began to look rattled. GR sensed a change in their mood and took off Bradshaw and Leonard and put Jed and Bennett on and we began to turn the screw. Shortly afterwards the ball fell to Afobe in the box. He had a swing and a miss but contrived a second swing and it flew into the far corner for 1-0. There a collective sigh of relief which gave us confidence and we pressed forward with urgency. A good ball into the box found Saville who glanced it well but it came back off the post. Jed was looking menacing on the right and a great cross had their full back stretching out a leg and diverting it into his own net for 2-0. We continued to press home our advantage and there was a decent shot from Murray which grazed the bar. They had a decent effort which Bart pushed wide but we were not done yet. A good ball found Saville in the box and he nodded home for 3-0. Burey replaced Burke with 8 to go and they huffed and puffed but couldn’t really get close. There was the inevitable pitch invasion despite copious warning about not invading but all those words fell on deaf ears.

Bart had little to do but did it well. Danny was lively down the right and Murray was similar down the right. Hutch had a couple of blips, Cooper had one but Leonard looked comfortable in a back three and made some good runs forward. He also looked good in midfield. Billy buzzed and showed us what we were missing last week and Saville looked good second half and probably shaded MOM with his goal and a some near misses. Benik was lively and took his goal well, Bradshaw was similar and Burke showed some good pace. Bennett was his usual aggressive self, Jed added a spark second half and Burey had one decent run.

It was also a day of meetings. I met Richard in the Milllwall Cafe who was an avid reader, then Big Paul and partner followed by TT and Zak walking around to Arry’s Bar. After the game I met Mama and hoped to see Obeney but he was not there. All in all, a decent day with a good second half, three goals and three points but we were all thinking what might have been……..
Thanks for all your excellent reports this season, Silver

Afobe scored just before Jed & Mason came on. What a difference they made
to our goal scoring threat
And it was Leonard’s throw that lead to Benik scoring.

BTW: Was Leonard injured? I thought he made a massive difference with his surging runs when moved into midfield, then we scored and in the blink of an eye he was subbed 🤷‍♂️

I noticed several times today that Benik was indicating he wanted the ball and where. He was ignored every time.
So, those who want to see him score more need to brief his team mates to give him the ball more.
Simples.
That's our biggest problem tactics wise , we had 3 fast forwards in bradshaw ,Burke & afobe but we insist on playing high often aimless balls 20 ft in the air to them which against most CH at this level we don't win , it was crying out to play the ball on the floor to them but alas we do not have a creative midfielder with the vision or a back 4 player with the skill to play these type of passes, unless we go for a target C.F. next season they let's hope we can alter our style to play to strengths up front

BTW: Was Leonard injured? I thought he made a massive difference with his surging runs when moved into midfield, then we scored and in the blink of an eye he was subbed 🤷‍♂️
It was his first start since coming back from injury, so I guess he was never going to play 90 mins.

If you listen to the Afobe post match interview he talks about pre season which makes me think that something is being cooked up to enable him to stay at least another season . He certainly loves it here
Ref, I’m interested as why you pay Recast to watch vids that can be watched elsewhere?

Adobe might be prepared take a pay cut but whether is agent will is another matter entirely
If no Championship side picks up his contract next season, Afobe will have to ply his trade in leagues 1 or 2, which will mean a reduced salary for him and his family! If his agent takes a cut of his weekly salary (I don’t know if that’s how it works between player and agent), then he will also get less money!

I would be surprised if any of the relegated Prem sides would take a punt on him next season, so unless QPR came in for him, that would mean him looking north, and hoping that one of the Midland/Lancashire clubs might sign him and pay near to the kind of salary he was getting at Stoke. It would also mean uprooting his family for what could be a huge gamble as to whether it’s going to work out for him at another club!

Better to stay at a club he has already fitted in well with, with supporters who like him, and which next season should improve enough to at least reach the play offs! Like I said up thread, Afobe isn’t short of a bob or two, so for that, and all of the reasons I’ve stated above, a pay cut might be the best thing all round for him and Millwall. If he has another loan spell with us, and bangs in more goals than he has this season, then sign him on a permanent deal if we fail to go up at the end of next season!

If no Championship side picks up his contract next season, Afobe will have to ply his trade in leagues 1 or 2, which will mean a reduced salary for him and his family! If his agent takes a cut of his weekly salary (I don’t know if that’s how it works between player and agent), then he will also get less money!

I would be surprised if any of the relegated Prem sides would take a punt on him next season, so unless QPR came in for him, that would mean him looking north, and hoping that one of the Midland/Lancashire clubs might sign him and pay near to the kind of salary he was getting at Stoke. It would also mean uprooting his family for what could be a huge gamble as to whether it’s going to work out for him at another club!

Better to stay at a club he has already fitted in well with, with supporters who like him, and which next season should improve enough to at least reach the play offs! Like I said up thread, Afobe isn’t short of a bob or two, so for that, and all of the reasons I’ve stated above, a pay cut might be the best thing all round for him and Millwall. If he has another loan spell with us, and bangs in more goals than he has this season, then sign him on a permanent deal if we fail to go up at the end of next season!
He has another year on his contract at Stoke, he seems the sought to play in their reserves rather than give it up.
I would say the best Stoke can hope for is another loan next season to part pay his high wages before getting rid of him.

When Leonard first joined he took a lot of throw ins and was renowned at Southend for that. For some reason we stopped using that weapon. When he strolled over to take it I thought here we go. Now we’ve scored from it you can near enough guarantee he won’t be taking another for ages.