Just Back v Posh

Sometimes like today Afobe is mustard. Other matches he looks a bit lost to me. I think he tries very hard, seems to like Wall and probably fits in well but I think his wages will be an issue. If he had the same goals to games ratio as Bradshaw it should be a deffo yes to signing him. If we are forking out a lot of dosh we really need him banging more goals in.
Afumble is like marmite , you either like him or not , yesterday he scored after a mis kick but did next to nothing for the rest of the game & I think fans forget that fact , lost fingers to count the times we got the ball side but nobody either in the box or making a run so the move broke down , I know we don't play to his or Bradshaw strengths but at this level you Have to make things happen & he rarely does , a lazy player but his goals l save him

Cheers for all the just backs Silver.
Was great being their for the last game. The first half was a bit slow though. Great second 45.

Thanks Silver. Much appreciated. I thought the first 45' was a repeat of the Swansea match . Thankfully my prediction was way off beam. I must admit I used to be no fan of Afobe but he has grown on me and again I've been proved wrong. I honestly enjoy his enthusiasm. I was there yesterday but lately have had to skip 'Arry's as my " chaffeure' has had to work and his replacement has a young grandson with him which precludes him for a trip to 'Arry's

Why isn’t Rowett seeing this during each game?
Why is it always Rowetts fault? Perhaps or midfield don't see it or have other ideas.
If Afobe scores an extra 5 - 7 goals a season this way, it could mean two or three more wins, thereby making the difference between reaching the play offs and falling short again!
If we conceded 5-7 less that would also have given us more points! You're always looking for a scapegoat, someone must be blamed cause little old Millwall haven't reached your far fetched expectations. Perhaps there's just better teams than us in this league and you can't win every game. Perhaps it's cause we can't compete financially with the bigger clubs. Rowett should have listened to you and recalled Olafe from Sutton, we'd have won the league then. His seven goals this season in the fourth division was all Rowetts fault and the reason we won't be going up to the strings league :rolleyes:

I knew when i logged in today that there'd be ther usual suspects finding fault after another great win and season. Reading some of the crap posted on our match threads makes me think i'm on the Charlton forums.

Afumble is like marmite , you either like him or not , yesterday he scored after a mis kick but did next to nothing for the rest of the game & I think fans forget that fact , lost fingers to count the times we got the ball side but nobody either in the box or making a run so the move broke down , I know we don't play to his or Bradshaw strengths but at this level you Have to make things happen & he rarely does , a lazy player but his goals l save him
wasnt a miss kick at all. agree re the marmite thing tho

Why is it always Rowetts fault? Perhaps or midfield don't see it or have other ideas.

If we conceded 5-7 less that would also have given us more points! You're always looking for a scapegoat, someone must be blamed cause little old Millwall haven't reached your far fetched expectations. Perhaps there's just better teams than us in this league and you can't win every game. Perhaps it's cause we can't compete financially with the bigger clubs. Rowett should have listened to you and recalled Olafe from Sutton, we'd have won the league then. His seven goals this season in the fourth division was all Rowetts fault and the reason we won't be going up to the strings league :rolleyes:

I knew when i logged in today that there'd be ther usual suspects finding fault after another great win and season. Reading some of the crap posted on our match threads makes me think i'm on the Charlton forums.
Peckham, I’ve always had (and still have) respect for you for the thoughts you have on our club and players. You talk a lot of good sense (as others on here do), but this is a forum for supporters who have opinions, and everyone on here is entitled to their opinion, whether we like it or not! We all want our club to do well, and of course we can all see sometimes things which we think a manager misses, or a player being at fault when he makes the wrong decision - it doesn’t mean we should be cunted off and labelled Spotters because our opinion differs from that of you or somebody else!

One thing I will defend myself against one of your accusations, and it’s that you think I found fault after our great win on Saturday! Nothing could be further from the truth! Check back on the match report, and I praised the performance, whilst agreeing with everyone else that it was a shame that our 2nd half urgency and goal scoring, was missing from the 1st half, especially when we were all aware for the need to reduce our goal difference against the likes of Luton and Sheffield United, who we could still catch if all the results go our way!

The 2nd half of this season has changed my opinion on Rowett, mainly because he was prepared to be less defensive whilst letting the shackles off the players, and from that we got some excellent performances and wins! That doesn’t mean he is immune to criticism by me or others on here, if we feel he has made a mistake (as he did by not playing Billy Mitchell against Brum), but posters shouldn’t be slated because others disagree with them!

I hope this more attacking threat of ours continues in the Championship next season (as I don’t think we will get to the play offs this season), and with a couple of new additions to the squad, we will hopefully be a stronger and better side. The only slight worry I have if Rowett stays is that he doesn’t revert back to playing defensive again, until there‘s enough points on the board, before letting the shackles off again!

Last edited:
One thing I will defend myself against one of your accusations, and it’s that you think I found fault after our great win on Saturday!
I've read the post linked below three times now and if that isn't finding fault/ or criticism then i'm an astronaut.

it doesn’t mean we should be cunted off and labelled Spotters
but this is a forum for supporters who have opinions, and everyone on here is entitled to their opinion, whether we like it or not!
Correct, it's exactly what i'm doing, having an opinion- which is -some of the stuff posted on the match threads is very Charltonesque at times. If you're offended by that it's your problem.
it doesn’t mean we should be cunted off and labelled Spotters because our opinion differs from that of you or somebody else!
There is no cunting anyone off in my post-there's not even a swearword in it ( my apologies) they are my opinions.

I've read the post linked below three times now and if that isn't finding fault/ or criticism then i'm an astronaut.

Correct, it's exactly what i'm doing, having an opinion- which is -some of the stuff posted on the match threads is very Charltonesque at times. If you're offended by that it's your problem.

There is no cunting anyone off in my post-there's not even a swearword in it ( my apologies) they are my opinions.
Fair enough points, but…..

I asked you to check back on the match report, ‘Match thread Millwall v Peterborough KO 3pm.’ as it was there that I had said how good the game and the performances were.

You highlighted the ‘Just back v Posh’ thread, where I asked a question, long after the game had finished, and only because Big Paul had noticed something I hadn’t seen. He said:

“I noticed several times today that Benik was indicating he wanted the ball and where. He was ignored every time.
So, those who want to see him score more need to brief his team mates to give him the ball more.
Simples.”

This alarmed me, so I responded by asking the question, “Why isn’t Rowett seeing this during each game?”

You saw that as a criticism, but the point I was trying to make in that question was to say that the only person who could brief his team mates to give Afobe the ball more, is Rowett - so why isn’t he doing it? He’s the manager! He picks the team, and along with AB decides on formation and whether to change that formation during a game, as well as highlighting issues he has with certain players during half time, should things need to change.

So if Rowett sees that Afobe isn’t getting the ball where and when he wants it, then surely as manager it’s down to him to tell his other players to support Afobe to help him score more goals, no?

The fact that Afobe isn’t getting what he wants, leads me to think that Rowett isn’t seeing this during the game, or, he’s simply ignoring Afobe, just as the other players seem to be!

Either way, that is worrying, because it means that with more help, Afobe could potentially score more goals, which could mean more potential wins! How much better off would our league position be today, if Afobe had been given that help at the start of this season?

I suppose this season could be summed up by a very short sentence a gentleman said to me on Saturday - " We're a 2nd half team".
Usually, after a goal less first half, if we survived the initial 10 -15 minute inevitable onslaught from the opposition, we seemed to be able to give a good account of ourselves, catching them out on the breaks. Might not be the prettiest football, but our league position shows that it works.
I'd love to say that with any potential signings over the summer, along with GRs plans to improve and progress the squad, we're in for another good, or even better, season ahead.

Its fair to say that our run of form in the second half of the season was due to injuries of "first choice players" who, as soon as they were fit were chosen over those that stood in so well, the results also reverted to type.

You saw that as a criticism, but the point I was trying to make in that question was to say that the only person who could brief his team mates to give Afobe the ball more, is Rowett - so why isn’t he doing it?
God knows and i won't be losing any sleep over it if that really is the case. I've enjoyed watching the home performances this season and can't be bothered to try and find fault when it's been clear from the day i first went forty plus years ago that we are what we are, rough with the smooth, ups and downs and to never ever try and understand or work Millwall out.

the results also reverted to type.
Last fifteen games= eight wins- five draws- two defeats- 23 scored-11 conceded.

So no they never reverted to type, that is promotion type form. We had a poor run of form around December and January. On current form we'd be third in the league. Results and tables don't lie.

Last fifteen games= eight wins- five draws- two defeats- 23 scored-11 conceded.

So no they never reverted to type, that is promotion type form. We had a poor run of form around December and January. On current form we'd be third in the league. Results and tables don't lie.
Correct, currently sitting in eighth place and once again in the top two in games drawn as we have been since Rowett has been here.

Posted before the start of this season that the drawn games will stop us getting into the top six as they will next season.

God knows and i won't be losing any sleep over it if that really is the case. I've enjoyed watching the home performances this season and can't be bothered to try and find fault when it's been clear from the day i first went forty plus years ago that we are what we are, rough with the smooth, ups and downs and to never ever try and understand or work Millwall out.
Ha Ha! You’re so right re trying to work Millwall out!

Thing is, regardless of what division we’re in, or which team we play, surely the basic fundamentals of the game doesn’t change? The goal keeper is there to help out the defence, the defence to aid the midfielders, and the midfielders to supply balls to the forwards!

On the goal keeping and defensive front, we’ve been pretty sound this season. The midfield has sometimes been an issue, and even Billy Mitchell, as good a player as he is, hasn’t been exempt from some criticism of his play!

There’s been talk on here that we need a 20+ goal scorer next season, but Rowett’s formation of playing 3 or 4 up front has worked, and if Bradshaw and Afobe can stay fit enough to form a good partnership, they could be banging in 15 goals each, next season, along with other goals chipped in from Saville and Burey in midfield, and Murray Wallace, Danny and Cooper in defence!

Personally, I think Rowett should concentrate on finding a couple of midfield playmakers, who not only can wade in with some goals, but who have the foresight and nous to see moves been made by our forwards on the pitch, and provide those necessary balls into areas of space that Bradshaw and Afobe have made for themselves! Only then will we see the full extent of what both forward players can achieve over 46 games!

I thought he worked hard from the off and it was one of his best games. Couple of great crosses went in first half, bit agree that no one took a chance on them

once again in the top two in games drawn as we have been since Rowett has been here.
That is better than losses.
Posted before the start of this season that the drawn games will stop us getting into the top six as they will next season.
They've also helped us to safety and a very healthy league position. Finance- wages, creative players and strikers that get 20 plus goals stops most clubs our size getting promoted.
as they will next season.
So you know who'll be managing us and what new players we're bringing in already, very impressive!