Just Back v Posh

silverlion

Staff member
A decent second half and a deserved three points.

We made a bright start with Danny and Burke combining well down the right and Murray and Saville doing similar down the left and there was an early chance that came to nothing. There was little to commend the first half. They had the lions share of possession but caused little threat. There were two half chances and ours was a through ball to Benik in the box but it ran away from him and the keeper collected. There was a distinct lack of urgency on our part plus some poor passing and the omens did not look good. The last three minutes of the first half they had their noses in front but could do little to threaten our goal. In fact, I think there were no saves made by either keeper in the first 45. One of my mates said that you would have had difficulty working out which team were at the bottom and which team was at the top. Another mate almost nodded off and did ask me to give him a prod if he fell asleep. The first half ended goal less.

Things had to improve during the second half. GR went to a back four and put Leonard in midfield and we started to grab the initiative. There was more urgency in the play, we were driving forward, picking up second balls and starting to look a threat. They began to look rattled. GR sensed a change in their mood and took off Bradshaw and Leonard and put Jed and Bennett on and we began to turn the screw. Shortly afterwards the ball fell to Afobe in the box. He had a swing and a miss but contrived a second swing and it flew into the far corner for 1-0. There a collective sigh of relief which gave us confidence and we pressed forward with urgency. A good ball into the box found Saville who glanced it well but it came back off the post. Jed was looking menacing on the right and a great cross had their full back stretching out a leg and diverting it into his own net for 2-0. We continued to press home our advantage and there was a decent shot from Murray which grazed the bar. They had a decent effort which Bart pushed wide but we were not done yet. A good ball found Saville in the box and he nodded home for 3-0. Burey replaced Burke with 8 to go and they huffed and puffed but couldn’t really get close. There was the inevitable pitch invasion despite copious warning about not invading but all those words fell on deaf ears.

Bart had little to do but did it well. Danny was lively down the right and Murray was similar down the right. Hutch had a couple of blips, Cooper had one but Leonard looked comfortable in a back three and made some good runs forward. He also looked good in midfield. Billy buzzed and showed us what we were missing last week and Saville looked good second half and probably shaded MOM with his goal and a some near misses. Benik was lively and took his goal well, Bradshaw was similar and Burke showed some good pace. Bennett was his usual aggressive self, Jed added a spark second half and Burey had one decent run.

It was also a day of meetings. I met Richard in the Milllwall Cafe who was an avid reader, then Big Paul and partner followed by TT and Zak walking around to Arry’s Bar. After the game I met Mama and hoped to see Obeney but he was not there. All in all, a decent day with a good second half, three goals and three points but we were all thinking what might have been……..

Thanks as always Silver like you no idea why we started with 3 centre halfs. Soon as we went virtually 4-2-4 they had no chance. If a couple of results go our way midweek we could still be in a chance

I couldn't work out if Afobe's goal was a miss hit swing with his right that got lucky, then a hit with his left or.. an attempt at a pull down with his right (that looked clumsy), before hitting sweetly with his left?

I tend to think he meant it as a pull down because at times, he does have a few tricks up his sleeve. Either way, it was most welcome at that point.
:grinning:

Cheers, Silver.

You beat me to it today , but as you said a game of 2 halves , first was a waste of 45 minutes for us ,needed to score but never looked like it, second with the formation change we looked better and got the right resjlt.....Bennett & Tyler looked positive when they came on ...different kettle of fish next saturday but let's go.for it in both halves....nice to see murry get his reward for a super consistent season and let's be loud & proud at b,mouth

Last edited:
I couldn't work out if Afobe's goal was a miss hit swing with his right that got lucky, then a hit with his left or.. an attempt at a pull down with his right (that looked clumsy), before hitting sweetly with his left?

I tend to think he meant it as a pull down because at times, he does have a few tricks up his sleeve. Either way, it was most welcome at that point.
:grinning:

Cheers, Silver.
It was the latter mate. We’ve seen him do that a few times over the season. Definitely not lucky.

Sometimes like today Afobe is mustard. Other matches he looks a bit lost to me. I think he tries very hard, seems to like Wall and probably fits in well but I think his wages will be an issue. If he had the same goals to games ratio as Bradshaw it should be a deffo yes to signing him. If we are forking out a lot of dosh we really need him banging more goals in.

people slag afobe but i bet you this - he is one of the first on the team sheet. if you look he is normally in acres of space (but we rarely find him) and i'm never surprised when he scores. 12 goals now, 1 in 3 games. i'd like to keep him

Rowett seems to want him but he will be on a big wage at Stoke, is he worth that much to us seeing as he is lazy when it comes to pressing the opposition?
Not saying we shouldn't sign him but like Burke, he would take up a large chunk of our wage bill for the next 2/3 years if we were to sign them.

Afobe scored just before Jed & Mason came on. What a difference they made
to our goal scoring threat
Jed looked at his best out wide today and Rowett doesn't want to play wingers that often, so much so that he played Leonard as a CB to keep his preferred formation.

A decent second half and a deserved three points.

We made a bright start with Danny and Burke combining well down the right and Murray and Saville doing similar down the left and there was an early chance that came to nothing. There was little to commend the first half. They had the lions share of possession but caused little threat. There were two half chances and ours was a through ball to Benik in the box but it ran away from him and the keeper collected. There was a distinct lack of urgency on our part plus some poor passing and the omens did not look good. The last three minutes of the first half they had their noses in front but could do little to threaten our goal. In fact, I think there were no saves made by either keeper in the first 45. One of my mates said that you would have had difficulty working out which team were at the bottom and which team was at the top. Another mate almost nodded off and did ask me to give him a prod if he fell asleep. The first half ended goal less.

Things had to improve during the second half. GR went to a back four and put Leonard in midfield and we started to grab the initiative. There was more urgency in the play, we were driving forward, picking up second balls and starting to look a threat. They began to look rattled. GR sensed a change in their mood and took off Bradshaw and Leonard and put Jed and Bennett on and we began to turn the screw. Shortly afterwards the ball fell to Afobe in the box. He had a swing and a miss but contrived a second swing and it flew into the far corner for 1-0. There a collective sigh of relief which gave us confidence and we pressed forward with urgency. A good ball into the box found Saville who glanced it well but it came back off the post. Jed was looking menacing on the right and a great cross had their full back stretching out a leg and diverting it into his own net for 2-0. We continued to press home our advantage and there was a decent shot from Murray which grazed the bar. They had a decent effort which Bart pushed wide but we were not done yet. A good ball found Saville in the box and he nodded home for 3-0. Burey replaced Burke with 8 to go and they huffed and puffed but couldn’t really get close. There was the inevitable pitch invasion despite copious warning about not invading but all those words fell on deaf ears.

Bart had little to do but did it well. Danny was lively down the right and Murray was similar down the right. Hutch had a couple of blips, Cooper had one but Leonard looked comfortable in a back three and made some good runs forward. He also looked good in midfield. Billy buzzed and showed us what we were missing last week and Saville looked good second half and probably shaded MOM with his goal and a some near misses. Benik was lively and took his goal well, Bradshaw was similar and Burke showed some good pace. Bennett was his usual aggressive self, Jed added a spark second half and Burey had one decent run.

It was also a day of meetings. I met Richard in the Milllwall Cafe who was an avid reader, then Big Paul and partner followed by TT and Zak walking around to Arry’s Bar. After the game I met Mama and hoped to see Obeney but he was not there. All in all, a decent day with a good second half, three goals and three points but we were all thinking what might have been……..
Thanks for all your just backs again this season, god knows how you manage to remember it all!

Never heard a bad word said about him in the ground, the consensus amongst most fans is they'd have back next season.
i have mate - group around me never stops. lazy, shit, the usual. when he was subbed the other week they refused to clap him though he was no worse than anyone else. people get a pebble in their shoe abotu certain players, and he'll be one of them. it's because he's not all legging it around like a bradshaw

i have mate - group around me never stops. lazy, shit, the usual. when he was subbed the other week they refused to clap him though he was no worse than anyone else. people get a pebble in their shoe abotu certain players, and he'll be one of them. it's because he's not all legging it around like a bradshaw
Problem is that with majority of top clubs in our league like to play tip tap football in their own half and for us to succeed we need to defend from the front by closing down the opposition all over the place and Afobe doesn't seem interested in doing so.

On top of having an all round bloody good day i had the long overdue pleasure of meeting a fellow lion and in my opinion a MO legend- Mr Ulster Lion. An absolute gent and as you'd expect immaculately turned out, i don't know many bods that can manage to look the part in a skin tight frock and sling back wellingtons! I salute you sir :tophat:

Members online