Just Back v Plymouth on MTV

Why are people using words like thuggish and assault to describe the actions of Zian in removing the ball from the Plymouth defender. In the first place, it looked completely fine to me, and second, there are plenty of ex Wall players who would have been proud of it
I would not have been suprised if the ref gave a foul though. Flems step accross was ok but if the lino had spotted use of the forearm he would have falgged. Still its history now.

We not only played better second half, we were still pressing them well into added time when we were 0-1 up. The second goal came about through pressing and good ol' fashioned, enjoyable thuggery from Flemming.

:grinning:
Why are people using words like thuggish and assault to describe the actions of Zian in removing the ball from the Plymouth defender. In the first place, it looked completely fine to me, and second, there are plenty of ex Wall players who would have been proud of it

Well, I did say 'enjoyable'.

Last night's game reminded me of one of those 12 round boxing bouts where you have an aggressive fighter (Argyle) against a counter-punching boxer (us). We took a battering for the first 7 or 8 rounds, although it looked worse than it actually was as we slipped, rolled and parried most of the shots, without much clean actually getting through. But we looked very much on the back foot as we were busy avoiding getting caught without throwing much back. Then in the 8th round Argyle started to tire after punching themselves out, and we caught them flush on the chin with a counter. They took an 8 count, got up wearily and as the fight moved into the championship rounds they were tired and wary of letting their shots go lest they got countered again. Then, having completely punched themselves out, they lost their timing and became sloppy... Bang! - we hit them flush with another counter and this time they are flat on their back and not getting up.
Jobs a good-un.

I only make this analogy because I was watching an old fight a couple of months ago that followed that exact pattern (I can't remember who it was) and at FT last night I was reflecting on the similarities.
Brilliant analogy mate! I love it! 👍

Well I have to say that we were not outplayed most of the night, in fact I think it was Plymouth who were outplayed for most of the second half. Just my opinion of course.
Did you buy those Rose tinted specs on e bay or Amazon?
Them: 18 goal attempts 7 on target 7 corners
Us: 6 goal attempts 3 on target 1 corner
I won’t bother with the possession stats as they’re the same every week.
Yes, it was a typical backs to the wall Millwall performance that we all like to see and yes, we sometimes win one off games like that & yes, I’m happy with the result but no, it isn’t a coherent strategy that would lead us to climb the table & into the play offs.
You simply can’t soak up that much pressure & get away with it week in week out. We were lucky enough at West Brom with the two that hit the bar & the luck can’t last unless GR can get the team to play better.

Fleming was clever in nicking the ball off their defender, last night all their players first touch when getting closed down would be to turn with the ball into space, knowing this all he had to do was get his body between ball and player to get the ball, which he did.

How that weren't given as a foul and free kick to them is a fucking mystery mate and proof if it was ever needed that some refs are fucking useless.
The ref's angle meant he saw the back of Flemming so couldn't see his arms being used or that their player had the last touch, according to plymouth manager , ref told him 'he thought Flemming was stronger in the challenge' , I would assume it was the linesman who should of seen the forearm smash.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a typical backs to the wall Millwall performance that we all like to see and yes, we sometimes win one off games like that & yes, I’m happy with the result but no, it isn’t a coherent strategy that would lead us to climb the table & into the play offs.
You simply can’t soak up that much pressure & get away with it week in week out. We were lucky enough at West Brom with the two that hit the bar & the luck can’t last unless GR can get the team to play better.
No, I bought them at Boot's actually.
I only watched the game on the box.
But if you were there, I will take your word for it.

Great post mate, boils down to hitting the onion bag. 100 chances or 1. Just that with a 100 chances you obviously have more chance. As with 65% possession you obviously have more chance of a hundred shots.

We had the same amount of shots on Saturday as they did the other night.
Now that’s my point ED.
We’ve played a lot better this season (and created more chances like on Saturday) but lost games. However, most of our fans only know one equation (or is it two?)
Win: We played well = promotion is a reality.
Lose: We were shit = boring football, GR out.
It’s really not like that at all.
If we can play like we did at the start of the West Brom game and create chances like we did in that 20 min spell against Swansea and show the defensive grit that we showed on Tuesday (and Bart doesn’t let the ball slip under his body) then & only then will we have a team that can move up the table

I am wondering, if it is not a coherent strategy, how we are better points wise, than we were this time last season where we missed the last spot by 45 mins ???

We may not like it, but last season was no fluke, we were there because we deserved to be.

G R - In.
Flemmin - In
Bart - In
Tewddy - In
Rino - In
Out - In.

I am wondering, if it is not a coherent strategy, how we are better points wise, than we were this time last season where we missed the last spot by 45 mins ???

We may not like it, but last season was no fluke, we were there because we deserved to be.

G R - In.
Flemmin - In
Bart - In
Tewddy - In
Rino - In
Out - In.
You'll be doing the hokey cokey in a minute.

Looking back at the 2nd goal, the replay from behind the goal just shows how much of a good goal it was, used there defender to unsight the keeper for a discrete curling shot...Sweet.