Just Back v Plymouth on MTV

silverlion

Staff member
A really gritty, solid team performance and a great away win.

They started like a house on fire and we needed all our grit and determination to keep them out.They attacked with pace and drive and we really did have to hold our ground, get our foot in, cover all the angles and dig in. It was eight minutes before we had a shot. Watmore ran through and hit a crisp shot which the keeper parried. They pressed forward and Wes had a great game getting his foot in to stop them. We were doing our absolute best to press them up front and Rab won some good headers. Everything he didn’t do on Saturday he was doing tonight. Pressing their CB into errors and trying his hardest to keep us up the field. After 36 we got a free kick which was headed on to Flem but his shot was blocked for a corner. It was a good set piece but Leonard’s header was just wide. We were hanging on and frustrating them. Deep into added time they got a free kick jus5 outside our box but Bart saved the shot and it was all square at the break.

Ithought they would come out all guns blazing at the first whistle but they had a more measured approach. They played it wide, tried to stretch us at the back but we always managed to get a foot in or an important header away. They looked frustrated, the crowd were quiet and we seized the moment. Watmore pushed forward and slid an inch perfect through ball to Flem on the edge of the six yard box and he dinked it over the keeper for 1-0. The Millwall mob went nuts. Shortly after a good one two put Rab in but he overran the pass. They made two attacking subs and we took off a crocked Watmore and put on Esse. They Pressed and pressed but they could not blow our house down. As the clock ticked away they became even more frustrated and desperate. We tightened the defence by replacing Danny and Joe with Murray one BNC. Then Billy and Sav gave us some fresh legs in the middleClose to the death we sealed it. Flem robbed their full back on the left, squared it to Sav who stroked it in with his left foot. Our mob went nuts. Despite 7 which moved to 9 added minutes they could not force a way through our resilient defence And we were deserved 2-0 winners.

Bart was solid, made some good stops and made no errors. Danny was strong and feisty, Joe was tough tackling, Leonard gave nothing away and nor did Cooper but MOM went to Harding for a solid never say die performance at the heart of the defence. Casper was busy and covered all the angles and was well supported by Campbell. Flem had a decent game in parts and took his goal well. Watmore ran his heart out and provided the sweet pass to Flem for the opener and Rab led the line well. Esse ran hard, BNC, Murray,Billy and Sav bottled it all up and we were worthy winners. A clean sheet away from home, three points and two goals. GR you got it spot on but now see if you can do it all again on Saturday?COYL

Great effort & determination and obviously a much needed three points but:
We were outplayed most of the night and the reality is that 9 times out of ten we wouldn’t get away with it.
:sorry:

We were outplayed most of the night and the reality is that 9 times out of ten we wouldn’t get away with it.
Well we HAVE played 10 and 'gotten away with it' 4 times and drew 2. So we have 14 points instead of the 3 you think we deserve

We done what other teams have did to us at The Den this season, soaked up a fair bit of pressure with some resolute defending then clinically took our chances when they came. Nothing fortunate about that.

I'm sorry but we was absolutely dreadful again tonight and abit like the stoke game, if they could finish there dinner then we would have been slaughtered! Another great escape flukey win for the boring cunt in charge. I want him gone......

We done what other teams have did to us at The Den this season, soaked up a fair bit of pressure with some resolute defending then clinically took our chances when they came. Nothing fortunate about that.
Judging by the childish tantrum their manager had in his press conference then it would seem that the 2nd half went perfectly to plan.
If you ain't happy this morning, you never will be.

We have been generally outplayed, or maybe more to the point of "had less possession", than quite a few other teams under GR tenure. Its his style of play. He doesn't like having the ball and is a pretty counter attacking manager, but it does desire a huge amount of concentration.
It isn't pretty at times, (but then again neither are Barcelona or Man City pretty at times), and we have been served some dross under GR, but yesterday was a win where majority of the team played a part in.

Boro looked very handy in the first half. I guess the change of tactics in the 2nd was because you cant play at that pace for 90 minutes. Great forearm smash from Flemming. His and savs finishes were top drawer. Watmore is a machine. Now we need to take that attitute into the next game.

“Clinically” is the key word which we haven’t managed to do very well so far this season. Swansea a case in point!

We have been generally outplayed, or maybe more to the point of "had less possession", than quite a few other teams under GR tenure. Its his style of play. He doesn't like having the ball and is a pretty counter attacking manager, but it does desire a huge amount of concentration.
It isn't pretty at times, (but then again neither are Barcelona or Man City pretty at times), and we have been served some dross under GR, but yesterday was a win where majority of the team played a part in.
Counter intuitively you could say we controlled the game by giving them possession until we regain it with the press and hit them on the counter attack. Brighton do it very well. Food for thought? 😉

I don’t really buy in to the “boring” thing, following Millwall is never boring for me.
I never get too carried away when we win (well not this early in the season) & I never get too upset when we lose (as long as we’ve had a go)

I don’t really buy in to the “boring” thing, following Millwall is never boring for me.
I never get too carried away when we win (well not this early in the season) & I never get too upset when we lose (as long as we’ve had a go)
I don't recognise this precious football snobbery amongst our fans, give 100% and be competitive in the Championship is what it used to be.
Can't ignore the 3 or 4 games like Norwich where I thought those performances were long gone but in the old days fans would of taken it out on the players who weren't putting in a shift.