Joe Edwards - The new gaffer

It is an intriguing appointment that’s for sure and although I have some slight reservations it does feel like a refreshing change from the usual merry go round managers in the championship. Hopefully the armchair managers will give it a rest for a while and let him get on with the job.
I partly like the appointment because it again shows the club moving away from tiimes gone by and moving with the times. Player recruitment methods have changed with the overseas scouting and now a different approach with type of managers.

I like the idea of a manager that will also improve players. We haven;t had that. Guardiola not only gets results but makes players better. Wenger was like that too. Arteta. I think this fella could be a huge benefit for the likes of Danny and Billy M. They weren't progressing under Rowett and i firmly believe that should be part of their job.

I'd like to think he's given time, support. If he isn't and gets the same treatment that Rowett got that'll will be me done with being a regular and ST holder. I'll do more aways instead with my lot. Me and B was taliking about that a while back. We've had some cracking days travelling around the country. Swerve the busy rattler with lock jawed strings and the wrap up and do your own thing. Eight -ten handed find a ruby house and a quite boozer- sweet.

We drove up to Villa the last time we played them and made a day of it. Sitting in some boozer and about six lumps walk in. We all grip the glass we;ve got and over they bowl- alright lads you Millwall- yeah mate- no bother lads- got nothing but respect for you boys and it turns out they knew some of our chaps from our era. Spent the next hour talking about violence. They'd heard about the LB turnout when we done Birmingham so wanted an account from our side.

They hate Birmingham like we hate west ham and vice versa. When we told them it had there main boys running down the tracks to get away they was in stitches. We are well respected by most older bods from the old days and rarely get grief or a bad reception on the odd ocassion we cross paths. It's all done and dusted now and we have more in common than we do that divides us.

Personally I'm disappointed and think it's a huge risk with our Championship status. Totally unproven, followed far Frank to Everton as his assistant and we all know how that ended. This is a tough league with very good and seasoned opposition managers working with much bigger budgets than us. I cannot see how this won't end badly and with us reaquainting with League 1 sometime soon.

Personally I'm disappointed and think it's a huge risk with our Championship status. Totally unproven, followed far Frank to Everton as his assistant and we all know how that ended. This is a tough league with very good and seasoned opposition managers working with much bigger budgets than us. I cannot see how this won't end badly and with us reaquainting with League 1 sometime soon.
Being his first job he will make mistakes but how big and how quick he learns from them is another thing.
Got to trust those that have given him the job to know he is a good fit with the players.
Hope he gets to be around for a while as it is our best crop of youngsters for a long time and we need someone to get the best out of them.

I partly like the appointment because it again shows the club moving away from tiimes gone by and moving with the times. Player recruitment methods have changed with the overseas scouting and now a different approach with type of managers.

I like the idea of a manager that will also improve players. We haven;t had that. Guardiola not only gets results but makes players better. Wenger was like that too. Arteta. I think this fella could be a huge benefit for the likes of Danny and Billy M. They weren't progressing under Rowett and i firmly believe that should be part of their job.

I'd like to think he's given time, support. If he isn't and gets the same treatment that Rowett got that'll will be me done with being a regular and ST holder. I'll do more aways instead with my lot. Me and B was taliking about that a while back. We've had some cracking days travelling around the country. Swerve the busy rattler with lock jawed strings and the wrap up and do your own thing. Eight -ten handed find a ruby house and a quite boozer- sweet.

We drove up to Villa the last time we played them and made a day of it. Sitting in some boozer and about six lumps walk in. We all grip the glass we;ve got and over they bowl- alright lads you Millwall- yeah mate- no bother lads- got nothing but respect for you boys and it turns out they knew some of our chaps from our era. Spent the next hour talking about violence. They'd heard about the LB turnout when we done Birmingham so wanted an account from our side.

They hate Birmingham like we hate west ham and vice versa. When we told them it had there main boys running down the tracks to get away they was in stitches. We are well respected by most older bods from the old days and rarely get grief or a bad reception on the odd ocassion we cross paths. It's all done and dusted now and we have more in common than we do that divides us.

Great post P, hope all is well with you and yours. It’s funny because one of the positive aspects of modern social media is being able to get to know lads from other clubs and I’m friendly with some Birmingham lads amongst others and whenever Wall are playing around the midlands I’ll meet up with them. When we were at West Brom a few weeks back after the game my mate said there was a few of them having a drink in town including some of their top table chaps and to stay and have a beer. I was a bit apprehensive but honestly mate they were all proper and good as gold. Their main fella knew loads of our old lot and was bang on. They were at LB and held their hands up and admitted they got nailed but interestingly said that our mob was more diverse and had more black chaps in their ranks than other firms. The funniest story was that after the off some of them were so shaken up that they practised putting on African accents in case it came on top again:LOL::LOL: At the end of the day it was all just one big laugh I suppose.

As for the new boss it’s such a departure from what we were expecting, a week ago none of us had ever heard of him. At first I wasn’t convinced at all but looking closely at his CV he has been coaching all his adult life and has worked alongside some of the top names in the business as well as being instrumental on developing some very good young talent. The fact that he is willing to leave a safe job and stick his neck on the line in an ultra competitive environment appeals to me as well. As long as he keeps us competitive and perhaps manages to get a few home wins with some goals I’ll be happy. I wish the fella all the luck in the world.

The geezer that got Ipswich promoted and now flying high in our league has the same backround. Young and only coached at under 18 level prior to his current job. You make valid points but all appointments come with an element of risk attached. We've tried the experienced man route in Hollowhead and Rowett. The problem i always find with those appointments is how much hunger do they have left in them? We can at least expect this geezer to be hungry and have personal goals.

We all know football has changed dramatically. Fitness, sports science, tech based stats, the technical side is different to when Rowett played. I don'tt believe the club would persevere with any manager if it was going tits up. They'd pull the plug soon enough. He comes with a highly experienced assistant which is a positive and reassuring move.

I share your concern. It's a bold appointment for sure.

Like you, I'm concerned with the Lampard connection; he was 1st team coach at Everton and performances were poor. Imo too much is being made of the England connection. He's only been manager of the U20s since June; prior to that he was involved in the background with other age groups.

The priority must be to stay in the C'ship at all costs; anything else will be a bonus. If we can do that, we can reassess whether Edwards is moving us in the right direction at the end of the season.

Good luck, Joe. COYL.

Great post P, hope all is well with you and yours.
Cheers mate. All sorts of dramas at the moment mate but punching through them and it'll be some other poor fuckers turn next week. Funny that we've been posting about the changes happening. With the good will messages, offers of help financial and otherwise, humour and chaps keeping my spirits high it's helped to remind me and restore my faith in what we're all about. Top notch and more so when one of the family is under the kosh.

It’s funny because one of the positive aspects of modern social media is being able to get to know lads from other clubs and I’m friendly with some Birmingham lads amongst others and whenever Wall are playing around the midlands I’ll meet up with them. When we were at West Brom a few weeks back after the game my mate said there was a few of them having a drink in town including some of their top table chaps and to stay and have a beer. I was a bit apprehensive but honestly mate they were all proper and good as gold. Their main fella knew loads of our old lot and was bang on.
Yes there's some mutual respect between us. I know Herman kkeps in touch with a few of them as well as others. And offer of a beer and catch is extended when we go up there. Not sure how the hiding our younger lot handed out to there's plus the liberties taken went down but our era has made there peace and can have a beer and bit of ribbing about it all now. All in the past and what's done is done.

They were at LB and held their hands up and admitted they got nailed but interestingly said that our mob was more diverse and had more black chaps in their ranks than other firms.
TTKK mate. Dispels the urban myth about us being a bit you know what. You obviously know my best mucker and the boys that ran with each other out of Peckham. I can safely say there was more of us from Black. turkish, irish and scotch parents than there was boy sfrom english parents. Not that it mattered a fuck but outsiders will keep pushing that line about you know what.

We shocked a few mobs in our day when we stormed the doors of there boozers led by black ,mixed race and Mediterranean looking fellas followed by a ginger with a perm, Bahaus is shocking pink and chair swinging bods with crops and wedges :grinning:

As for the new boss it’s such a departure from what we were expecting, a week ago none of us had ever heard of him. At first I wasn’t convinced at all but looking closely at his CV he has been coaching all his adult life and has worked alongside some of the top names in the business as well as being instrumental on developing some very good young talent. The fact that he is willing to leave a safe job and stick his neck on the line in an ultra competitive environment appeals to me as well. As long as he keeps us competitive and perhaps manages to get a few home wins with some goals I’ll be happy. I wish the fella all the luck in the world.
Amen brother.

I agree it’s a risk, it will either be very good or very bad. There’s no in the middle in my opinion. I wanted Warnock, if not then Nathan Jones. Although GR was overly defensive (and it was dull) we would not get relegated. We have to trust the board and get behind them on what is a very bold move.

If and it’s a big off, dropping might make us stronger you never know complete reshape. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that