Fine margins…

I didn’t infer what you’re saying at all. I was talking about his failing to understand the need for midfielder pace in the team and the need to have the forward thinking of looking to the future to replace a mostly ageing back line.
Why weren't you mentioning this last season when we were in the top six for weeks on end and when it mattered?

I think this was part of Rowett’s failing, in that he never realised the need to add the pace and the athleticism that Edwards now knows we need. Even a couple of seasons ago, there were teams in the Championship who were technically better and faster than we were, and we suffered as a result. Yes, he brought in the likes of Burke on loan who was fast, but usually had no end product and flattered to deceive most times.

Rowett’s propensity for loaning in or buying in numerous midfielders (many of which didn’t have that pace and athleticism we needed), meant that we often got overrun in midfield by quicker opposition. He also didn’t have the foresight to realise, even a couple of seasons back, the need to begin the process of finding a new, younger Hutch and Cooper pairing, which has led us to where we are now.

And yet under Rowett we still managed to finish 8th, 11th and 9th in the C'ship, despite Rowett lacking foresight and the players lacking pace, athleticism and technique and getting overrun in midfield and having no end product up front. Go figure as our American cousins might say.

Rowett (and Harris) and Edwards have completely different footballing philosophies. Yes, most of the time the football could be a bloody hard watch under Rowett, but his pragmatic approach meant that, personally, I didn't worry about us getting relegated. Unfortunately, I can't say the same now.

Under Edwards, we are much easier on the eye but we are losing regularly and relegation is a real possibility. With my couch pundit hat on, I'd suggest that Edwards hasn't come to terms with the fact that he isn't coaching Stones, Silva and Harland; he's got Cooper, Wallace and Nisbit. Imo Edwards needs to be more pragmatic about the limitations of this squad and set us up accordingly.

The revolution could - and should - wait until we are safe.

To be fair to Edwards it wasn’t him that was promising or expecting an instant transition to an all conquering promotion chasing side. That was some of our fans with their usual impulsive over reactions, a lot of whom at the time were rather pleased with themselves having hounded out a decent bloke out of a job, not to mention a capable manager too.

The more discerning of us knew that GR was performing wonders getting a squad full of journeymen players anywhere near the playoffs but that wasn’t good enough for the armchair experts, the same fuckwits that believed that we were going to sign half a dozen Chelsea players in the January transfer window.

My real worry is that we have an inexperienced boss with an inexperienced director of football (Aldridge) overseeing it all. Having said that our immediate focus has to be to get behind the manager, (sorry, ‘head coach’) and hope that we can get ourselves over the line. We have some tough games to come but we simply have to start picking up points, within the next week or so we may well be bollock deep in a relegation battle and although the squad as a whole has the quality to get out of it I’m not sure they have the collective bottle to battle our way to safety.

a lot of whom at the time were rather pleased with themselves having hounded out a decent bloke out of a job, not to mention a capable manager too.
My mate who was at Norwich when those cunts sang your football is shit told me that those doing it had big grins and faces of glee whilst doing so. He's now banned for two year for clumping one of our own who went on to grass him and have him nicked at the next home game.

On another note------ i find it strange that during that little run in December where we did well there was no mention of Rowett nor who and what positions he failed to replace/upgrade. A few defeats and the Sheepskin is back on for another boring lecture on what some string thinks should have been done. Ain't hindsight wonderful.

I think it's clever. prudent business loaning defenders from premier clubs that we could never afford cause it allows us to spend our meagre budget on creative players that cost a bit more.

As you say, he was more or less hounded out. Boo'ed and cunted the first game of the season in front of the Berylson family still mourning there loss. And on it went. Then Norwich. Fucking disgraceful way to treat a servant of our club that did much more good than bad and stood up for us when he didn't need to when the press were sticking the boot in over the knee.

Since that happened i know quite a few that have fucked it off as a regular thing and are ashamed of what some of our fanbase have become. Fuck paying out good wedge to sit in the stands and listen to cunts like Sheepskin Ron and his inbred offspring abusing our own. It's not the Millwall i know anymore.

Last edited:
Again maybe mate hard to know right now.

Some of them mistakes are just poor mind you, two of the goals (Hiull & Boro) came from headers from Hardjng & Bryan. Just generally school boy decision making.
Agreed mate and probably not helped by playing under immense pressure at the moment.

And yet under Rowett we still managed to finish 8th, 11th and 9th in the C'ship, despite Rowett lacking foresight and the players lacking pace, athleticism and technique and getting overrun in midfield and having no end product up front. Go figure as our American cousins might say.

Rowett (and Harris) and Edwards have completely different footballing philosophies. Yes, most of the time the football could be a bloody hard watch under Rowett, but his pragmatic approach meant that, personally, I didn't worry about us getting relegated. Unfortunately, I can't say the same now.

Under Edwards, we are much easier on the eye but we are losing regularly and relegation is a real possibility. With my couch pundit hat on, I'd suggest that Edwards hasn't come to terms with the fact that he isn't coaching Stones, Silva and Harland; he's got Cooper, Wallace and Nisbit. Imo Edwards needs to be more pragmatic about the limitations of this squad and set us up accordingly.

The revolution could - and should - wait until we are safe.
Don’t disagree with you regarding our finishing spots with Rowett, but would you agree/disagree with the fact that other clubs in the Championship have improved their squads over the past couple of seasons, signing players who do have that pace, technique and athleticism whereas we haven’t done that? More and more Championship clubs have realised that that is what is needed to get out of this league, including Ipswich who a season ago were in league 1. We still have, 5 seasons after he left us, 7 players who Harris signed, that are still playing for us. We haven’t moved on with our players but other clubs have. That I think is the difference and why we are where we are now.

Yes, Rowett signed the likes of Watmore who is quick but, try as he might, does his best but usually flatters to deceive. Who do we have in midfield that has any kind of pace, with the exception of Cuffy? Why are so many balls played out to him? Because he can take on players, the likes of which Mitchell, De Norre, Saville and Flemming (brought into the club by Rowett) in midfield can’t.

We have Emakhu who is quick but I will agree isn’t being played in the right position (so a minus point for Edwards there.) Honeyman is a box to box player and has had some fine games recently but doesn’t create the chances that someone like Cuffy does. Our over reliance on Cuffy is probably why Edwards has signed a left winger in Mayor, to mix things up a bit and stop us being so predictable.

Question for you: do you think we would still be in the same position as we are now, with Rowett still in charge, bearing in mind that we still have today pretty much the same team as Rowett had, before he left? I think you’ll probably say no, but I would disagree because of the points I’ve raised above.

Last edited:
Ipswich get crowds just short of 30k and can spend much more than a club our size can which is determined by FFP. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why don't you compare us to clubs of similar size and crowds? It';s so simplistic and lazy thinking when knocking the club. There's clubs that spent more on a defender than our whole budget allows,, but but but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1707249870166.jpeg

We have Emakhu who is quick but I will agree isn’t being played in the right position
Have you told Joe?

1707250008369.jpeg

so a minus point for Edwards there.
I'll let Joe know. I'm sure he'll take on board what you say

1707250176717.jpeg

Attachments

• 1707250048488.jpeg
    1707250048488.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 0
My mate who was at Norwich when those cunts sang your football is shit told me that those doing it had big grins and faces of glee whilst doing so. He's now banned for two year for clumping one of our own who went on to grass him and have him nicked at the next home game.

On another note------ i find it strange that during that little run in December where we did well there was no mention of Rowett nor who and what positions he failed to replace/upgrade. A few defeats and the Sheepskin is back on for another boring lecture on what some string thinks should have been done. Ain't hindsight wonderful.

I think it's clever. prudent business loaning defenders from premier clubs that we could never afford cause it allows us to spend our meagre budget on creative players that cost a bit more.

As you say, he was more or less hounded out. Boo'ed and cunted the first game of the season in front of the Berylson family still mourning there loss. And on it went. Then Norwich. Fucking disgraceful way to treat a servant of our club that did much more good than bad and stood up for us when he didn't need to when the press were sticking the boot in over the knee.

Since that happened i know quite a few that have fucked it off as a regular thing and are ashamed of what some of our fanbase have become. Fuck paying out good wedge to sit in the stands and listen to cunts like Sheepskin Ron and his inbred offspring abusing our own. It's not the Millwall i know anymore.

The Norwich game was a real low point for the club and I know it stung Rowett personally. What was really disappointing was that we let a bunch of gimps like Norwich take the absolute piss out of us, laughing at us while singing along to one of the most muggiest northern songs you’ll ever hear.

There seems to be a perception among some that to point out the positive aspects of GRs reign is to attack Edwards. This isn’t true, I desperately want him to succeed, he is a likeable bloke who is obviously trying his best but is hindered by the same things that Rowett had to deal with, budget, injuries, loss of form, individual errors etc. I don’t doubt his coaching ability or indeed his qualifications but as is becoming increasingly apparent the job entails a bit more than that. I’m just hoping that a bit of the old Millwall fighting spirit is left to get us to safety and give him the breathing space he deserves to have a go at building a side in the summer.

There seems to be a perception among some that to point out the positive aspects of GRs reign is to attack Edwards. This isn’t true,
Which is obvious to anyone with half a brain.

This isn’t true, I desperately want him to succeed, he is a likeable bloke who is obviously trying his best but is hindered by the same things that Rowett had to deal with, budget, injuries, loss of form, individual errors etc. I don’t doubt his coaching ability or indeed his qualifications but as is becoming increasingly apparent the job entails a bit more than that.
It's a tough gig no doubt and more so for where Edwards is coming from. Coaching the cream of the crop to Millwall is a big step down. I admire his guts and he clearly has belief in himself. Must quite an eye opener for him but he has got plenty right in a short space of time and does seem to be able to react and remedy issues. Just need to get this season out of the way and then it's up to him and what he brings in.

Ah but the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! button has now broke , so I can't take his posts as being serious anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would rather go down than keep GR
I would rather play more entertaining football and lose, than keep GR
I would be happy just to stay up
I would be happy to finish just one point above the bottom three
GR doesn't know what he is doing (while staying in the top six :) )

All of you lot that was screaming this, should be over the moon at the minute...........

yet you are still bleating :):):)

We are weaker at the back without Hutch.
And short of a leader. I love him, tough as old boots, fully committed and leads from the front. He was made for us. Partly why i would always select Saville when Hutchinson isn't available. Another tough and wily professional. I've often watched Saville talk team mates through periods of games. I don't see any other leaders in our starting elevens.

Last edited:
I would rather go down than keep GR
I would rather play more entertaining football and lose, than keep GR
I would be happy just to stay up
I would be happy to finish just one point above the bottom three
Harris out- reopen Rashers- unfold the club- Buy the Gin Palace- Sell the Dun cow-Unhappy hour at the haters extended to 2089- Stoinkers available under the flyover on the Old kent road- Two can chew £20-Meet at the Charlie Chaplain 9,30.

The fkg shit I took on here when I suggested JE was the wrong appointment. F k g ridiculous appointment. We had decent proven managers queuing up to manage us and we choose this cnut nobody.

He needs to go now but who tf wants to come here now. We have gifted the spotters a decent championship manager in Jones. We should offer them the swap immediately but they wouldn't take it in a million fkg years

Don’t disagree with you regarding our finishing spots with Rowett, but would you agree/disagree with the fact that other clubs in the Championship have improved their squads over the past couple of seasons, signing players who do have that pace, technique and athleticism whereas we haven’t done that?

More and more Championship clubs have realised that that is what is needed to get out of this league, including Ipswich who a season ago were in league 1. We still have, 5 seasons after he left us, 7 players who Harris signed, that are still playing for us. We haven’t moved on with our players but other clubs have. That I think is the difference and why we are where we are now.

Yes, Rowett signed the likes of Watmore who is quick but, try as he might, does his best but usually flatters to deceive. Who do we have in midfield that has any kind of pace, with the exception of Cuffy? Why are so many balls played out to him? Because he can take on players, the likes of which Mitchell, De Norre, Saville and Flemming (brought into the club by Rowett) in midfield can’t.

We have Emakhu who is quick but I will agree isn’t being played in the right position (so a minus point for Edwards there.) Honeyman is a box to box player and has had some fine games recently but doesn’t create the chances that someone like Cuffy does. Our over reliance on Cuffy is probably why Edwards has signed a left winger in Mayor, to mix things up a bit and stop us being so predictable.

Question for you: do you think we would still be in the same position as we are now, with Rowett still in charge, bearing in mind that we still have today pretty much the same team as Rowett had, before he left? I think you’ll probably say no, but I would disagree because of the points I’ve raised above.

You imply that we haven't improved our squad over the years. Presumably, you don't consider recent buys like De Norre, Emarku, Fleming and Honeyman to have been good value? You are critical of the fact that 7 players from 5 years ago are still in our squad, whereas I see that as proof of what good buys they were in the first place.

You criticise the club for not buying players with pace, technique and athleticism. I think that you missed out 'footballing intelligence'. I agree: we haven't signed many players with, at least, 3 of those attributes. Price tags for such players are usually upwards of £15m, so there's your reason.

Rowett set up his teams to be hard to beat. You infer that he was predictable. Maybe, but most other C'ship teams were unable to find an answer to that predictability as the results prove.

I'd suggest that the way we are playing now is predictable. Teams know that we will try to play the ball out from the back and adopt a high press against us. Imo it is just a matter of time before we concede a goal because Sarkic has either been dispossessed trying to play 'football', or leaves an attempted clearance too late and has it charged down having left things too late.

You ask if I think we would be better off under Rowett than we are now? Impossible to know, of course, but my gut feeling is yes for the reasons outlined above. Imo we would not have conceded against Hull as Harding would not have attempted a cushioned header where he did; that ball would either of gone out of play or been headed forward. Imo we would probably have ground out a draw against Boro. I think that we would have bullied and beaten a piss-poor QPR side under Rowett. Other results would probably have been similar. So in summary, I think that we would have been 5 points better off under Rowett.

You imply that we haven't improved our squad over the years. Presumably, you don't consider recent buys like De Norre, Emarku, Fleming and Honeyman to have been good value? You are critical of the fact that 7 players from 5 years ago are still in our squad, whereas I see that as proof of what good buys they were in the first place.

You criticise the club for not buying players with pace, technique and athleticism. I think that you missed out 'footballing intelligence'. I agree: we haven't signed many players with, at least, 3 of those attributes. Price tags for such players are usually upwards of £15m, so there's your reason.

Rowett set up his teams to be hard to beat. You infer that he was predictable. Maybe, but most other C'ship teams were unable to find an answer to that predictability as the results prove.

I'd suggest that the way we are playing now is predictable. Teams know that we will try to play the ball out from the back and adopt a high press against us. Imo it is just a matter of time before we concede a goal because Sarkic has either been dispossessed trying to play 'football', or leaves an attempted clearance too late and has it charged down having left things too late.

You ask if I think we would be better off under Rowett than we are now? Impossible to know, of course, but my gut feeling is yes for the reasons outlined above. Imo we would not have conceded against Hull as Harding would not have attempted a cushioned header where he did; that ball would either of gone out of play or been headed forward. Imo we would probably have ground out a draw against Boro. I think that we would have bullied and beaten a piss-poor QPR side under Rowett. Other results would probably have been similar. So in summary, I think that we would have been 5 points better off under Rowett.
I appreciate your counter claims but I still don’t agree with them. :)

End of the day as supporters we all individually hope that “Edwards should do this, Edwards should do that,” but he’s the manager and will either stand or fall by his decisions. We won’t be able to change that.

I just think we should hold our nerve a bit. There’s still 16 games remaining, starting with the away trip to Coventry on Sunday, and I’m hopeful that with the remaining months left in the season we will get enough wins or draws (probably from games we least expected to get points from), that will keep us up.

Survival isn’t guaranteed of course, and it’s quite possible that JB’s bottle might go if, say, we’re in one of the relegation spots with 8 games left, and acts by sacking Edwards after realising that his ‘great experiment’ has failed, but I hope he doesn’t.

Members online