Fine margins…

The main part of my response is that if you watch the games I’m referring to you will see the majority of the points dropped were not down to the change in style, more individual errors.
Well if we're loosing possession and making mistakes it may be down to players not being comfortable or capable of doing what they're asked. What i do know is we're losing games, conceding goals and not scoring many. Perhaps is just a case of awful bad luck!

Last edited:
Well if we're loosing possession and making mistakes it may be down to players not being comfortable or capable of doing what they're asked. What i do know is we're losing games, conceding goals and not scoring many. Perhaps is just a case of awful bad luck!

Again maybe mate hard to know right now.

Some of them mistakes are just poor mind you, two of the goals (Hiull & Boro) came from headers from Hardjng & Bryan. Just generally school boy decision making.

Some of them mistakes are just poor mind you, two of the goals (Hiull & Boro) came from headers from Hardjng & Bryan. Just generally school boy decision making.
Where as under Rowett those 2 defenders would have had a 'get it out of our half' attitude and not try to keep possession around our box.

What I am finding strange about Edwards is that we have become 5-3-2, wing backs go forward at home and stay back away, very little change from start to finish, even at the end on Saturday neither of the 2 cm's were really pushing forward quickly, it's as though he doesn't trust the central defenders and needs 2 midfielders in front of them at all times.

I know it won't happen but I feel we have a squad that suits the 4 4 2 formation with the diamond midfield.

Where as under Rowett those 2 defenders would have had a 'get it out of our half' attitude and not try to keep possession around our box.
Two goals were headers. One a blind header by Bryan, no manager would advise being tricky there.

Harding one on Saturday was just stupid, Edwards alluded to it in his post match.

I agree two up top would be better suited with Bradshaw doing the running.

As I said earlier to play two up top you actually have to have two fit strikers at the same time. Something we don't seem to be able to do.
We only have 3 at the club. Nisbet is injured, Bradshaw is just coming back from injury and Obafemi is not natch fit. There is no one else.

our problem with playing two up top is, have we got two striker's/forwards who can last more then 30 minutes on the pitch ?

Two goals were headers. One a blind header by Bryan, no manager would advise being tricky there.

Harding one on Saturday was just stupid, Edwards alluded to it in his post match.

I agree two up top would be better suited with Bradshaw doing the running.
I'm suggesting that under Rowett they wouldn't of chosen to head the ball in order to keep possession.

All part of the transition mate.

Where, as under Rowett those 2 defenders would have had a 'get it out of our half' attitude and not try to keep possession around our box.

What I am finding strange about Edwards is that we have become 5-3-2, wing backs go forward at home and stay back away, very little change from start to finish, even at the end on Saturday neither of the 2 cm's were really pushing forward quickly, it's as though he doesn't trust the central defenders and needs 2 midfielders in front of them at all times.

I know it won't happen but I feel we have a squad that suits the 4 4 2 formation with the diamond midfield.
I remember playing the diamond under big Mick. What season!. Sadly, in the modern game, like all forms of 442, it's become out moded.
Teams play a tight midfield three inside the diamond and run the game from there. This often means you have three players up the field isolated from the game unless you come out of shape.
Jim Smith did it for Pompey against us I remember.

As I said earlier to play two up top you actually have to have two fit strikers at the same time. Something we don't seem to be able to do.
We only have 3 at the club. Nisbet is injured, Bradshaw is just coming back from injury and Obafemi is not natch fit. There is no one else.
Emakhu? But not fit either.

All part of the transition mate.
I think this was part of Rowett’s failing, in that he never realised the need to add the pace and the athleticism that Edwards now knows we need. Even a couple of seasons ago, there were teams in the Championship who were technically better and faster than we were, and we suffered as a result. Yes, he brought in the likes of Burke on loan who was fast, but usually had no end product and flattered to deceive most times.

Rowett’s propensity for loaning in or buying in numerous midfielders (many of which didn’t have that pace and athleticism we needed), meant that we often got overrun in midfield by quicker opposition. He also didn’t have the foresight to realise, even a couple of seasons back, the need to begin the process of finding a new, younger Hutch and Cooper pairing, which has led us to where we are now.

Rowett didn't fail - he had four successful seasons at Millwall.
GR built on Harris' work and turned us into an established, solid championship club who were rarely looking over their shoulders.

Historically speaking, fine margins in our case, was just forty five minutes.

Last edited:
Rowlett didn't fail - he had four successful seasons at Millwall.
GR built on Harris' work and turned us into an established, solid championship club who were rarely looking over their shoulders.

Historically speaking, fine margins in our case, was just forty five minutes.
I didn’t infer what you’re saying at all. I was talking about his failing to understand the need for midfielder pace in the team and the need to have the forward thinking of looking to the future to replace a mostly ageing back line.

That was all I mentioned in my post.

The ball that got us in to trouble at Hull was the one played backwards from near the touchline/halfway line by I think Watmore ( not sure). Whoever it was.put the defense under pressure , when he should have been looking to go infield or forward. An example of over passing ,where the simple thing to do would have been to try and get the ball and us forward quicker.
IMHO

The ball that got us in to trouble at Hull was the one played backwards from near the touchline/halfway line by I think Watmore ( not sure). Whoever it was.put the defense under pressure , when he should have been looking to go infield or forward. An example of over passing ,where the simple thing to do would have been to try and get the ball and us forward quicker.
IMHO
That has become a problem, especially away , the only/ easiest option being a backward one.
Possibly because we don't commit enough players going forward and if it isn't a backward option then it is one out wide, where we are less likely to create chances, we just don't seem to create a lot going through the middle at the moment.

Rowett didn't fail
He did for the idiots that thought we were play off material and possibly going up. He didn't replace Hutchinson apparently---------------- we had a budget that was spent on Flemming, De Norre etc and he had credit to get in premier defenders on loan but sheepskin Ron is still sticking knives in his Voodoo Gary doll the wanker. Emakhu, Flemming, De Noree and Sarkic all cost money. Three of those four are assets.

the need to begin the process of finding a new, younger Hutch and Cooper pairing, which has led us to where we are now.
What a load of bollox. Explain to the others ( cause you ignore me and a few posters that call out your bullshit) how we spent the last months of last season in fifth position with such a shit manager that failed to do what you?- a grade one crank- thinks should be done.