Atmosphere Saturday….

Thank you mate much appreciated!
think i am about 20 years now, stone cold sober. i gave it all up - the drink, the drugs and you're right, best thing i ever did. the thing with being sober people don't get is that life becomes so much more easier, and easier to enjoy for drinkers like i was. people think life will become boring, the opposite happened for me. everything became better. going to millwall, relationships, hobbies, etc. even going clubbing. the idea of getting back on it literally makes my body cringe. takes time though and patience but eventually, for me at least, the idea of returning to it just became a nonsense idea.

Years ago i and a full train carriage listened to some wet string balling down the blower to his bird who'd just jumped him. was fucking embarrassing. Top of his voice begging and crying down the phione at 8 in the morning.

I was a drinker at the time and had a bastard of a hangover so i asked him nicely to turn it in or at least keep it down to a decent noise level. Worked for 2 minutes then he started again, balling and begging like a bitch, more words of advice from me was offered.

Still he continued, begging and sobbing, by this stage i had the raving and was cringing. Went over now growling at him- fucking turn it in mate or i'll smash your phone to fucking pieces. Sat back down and he pipes up again so i went over dragged him onto the floor, gave him a dig, took his phone, bounced it off his Swede and stamped it into little pieces to a round of applause and thanks from other passengers.
Hilarious! Not only did he get ditched, but ended up with a broken phone and a headache!

How long you been off the drink? I have tried it, but just cant do it
I think the hardest bit is actually deciding to stop mate, once you've properly made that decision it is quite straight forward.
But like Peckham says, you need to actually 'want to', not just think you ought to. Just like smoking really, if you just feel you ought to stop you will probably fail because you'll actually still want to smoke, but if you want to stop you'll enjoy the freedom of not smoking.

One other thing that I found with quitting the grog; don't expect to feel much different for about 4 weeks because, apart from not having any hangovers, you probably won't. But after 3 or 4 weeks I started to feel completely different, and it just got better and better, to the point that after 2 or 3 months I literally lost the desire to have a drink completely, as I felt so much better and happier without the stuff.

I'm pretty convinced that a lot of people stop drinking but only for 3 or 4 weeks, and never really feel any benefit of stopping so they go back to it. Whereas if they stopped for over a month they would begin to feel so much better they would probably stay off it. That's what I found anyway.

think i am about 20 years now, stone cold sober. i gave it all up - the drink, the drugs and you're right, best thing i ever did. the thing with being sober people don't get is that life becomes so much more easier, and easier to enjoy for drinkers like i was. people think life will become boring, the opposite happened for me. everything became better. going to millwall, relationships, hobbies, etc. even going clubbing. the idea of getting back on it literally makes my body cringe. takes time though and patience but eventually, for me at least, the idea of returning to it just became a nonsense idea.
Mate I completely agree. Sometimes I wonder how I ever found time to drink... It's a time waster, as usually when you're drinking you're not actually doing anything useful, interesting or enjoyable apart from the actual act of drinking itself.

Well done mate and as you say, it's easier this way! Simplicity at it's best.

I think the hardest bit is actually deciding to stop mate, once you've properly made that decision it is quite straight forward.
But like Peckham says, you need to actually 'want to', not just think you ought to. Just like smoking really, if you just feel you ought to stop you will probably fail because you'll actually still want to smoke, but if you want to stop you'll enjoy the freedom of not smoking.

One other thing that I found with quitting the grog; don't expect to feel much different for about 4 weeks because, apart from not having any hangovers, you probably won't. But after 3 or 4 weeks I started to feel completely different, and it just got better and better, to the point that after 2 or 3 months I literally lost the desire to have a drink completely, as I felt so much better and happier without the stuff.

I'm pretty convinced that a lot of people stop drinking but only for 3 or 4 weeks, and never really feel any benefit of stopping so they go back to it. Whereas if they stopped for over a month they would begin to feel so much better they would probably stay off it. That's what I found anyway.
yes, the process of change really needs be given time.

i am so lucky that i swore off it for good. literally woke up one day and thought, "i have to stop this. all of it, bar none" and that choice has stayed as strong as it was back then today, 20 years on. Lucky, so lucky i had that thought. I honestly shudder to think what life would have been like if i had soldiered on, endlessly trying to "manage it". fuck that. but yes, it takes time for teh benefits. and along the way there are challanges that every human being goes through. sobriety is not a magic wand that gets rid of all lifes problems. But by god i have 100x better chance of a happy life without being sodden with drink, Es, and sniff (my three main vices back then).

after a while of sobriety, the going to bed at night with an empty head, not full of fear, chaos, confusion and dread was what i noticed first. i thought - "oh this is actually what peace feels like." because drink is not in the way, the management of life is so much more straightforward, therefore there is less mental noise, less chaos. actually begin to feel human for perhaps even the first time.

the idea of throwing that away to be talking absoloute shit in a pub somewhere, in the exchange of a five day hangover - its such a no brainer. infact, i even think i would perhaps rather die than go back. this is how sobriety gets cemented through the gains and peace of it. but it takes time. don't think after a month everything is going to be hunky dory.

as for clubbing peckham - despite the lack of Es, speed, coke, ket - being "on" a few redbulls - its BETTER mate. I honestly have more fun. getting lost in teh music, stone cold sober. It's amazing. natural high, and all that shit. combine that with some chemistry with some nice bird! It's a secret that no one gives themselves time to find out. It's not a step down, it;s a step up.

fair play to all those who don't have to live by extremes, who can enjoy class As with no obvious fall out. i admire that. But there is also other means of enjoying going out.

Think i'll start an addictions thread in off topic. to save derailing other threads. Sure there'll be plenty of wise words and encouraging tales to help those are fighing with there demons.

Was the atmosphere any different Friday?

Having had an 11 year stint away I noticed a big difference when I returned in 2017, it was as though however good the atmosphere was the immediate area around me wasn't, I tried sitting in different blocks but all very similar.
I tried, for the first time ever, block 2 for Norwich and whilst not too bad there were definitely more than ever before people that didn't seem to belong there, those wanting a day out at football that got a ticket last minute perhaps but not Wall, one group spent more time downstairs than watching the game another bloke in his 40's was more interested in his phone than the game, luckily for me the Den is like an away game so I will end up watching watching us away more than at home, as away games are 100% full of fans who are there for the same reason.
Remember the away game at Birmingham last season. Bloke next to me spent most of the game pointing his phone at B’ham fans, mouthing wankers at them, and then posting the results on some social media platform. Gave him the benefit of the doubt in case he was building up evidence for his psychiatrist to show that he did indeed have Tourette’s.

One step at a time, fantastic achievement mate. Im sixteen years clean and my mental age is sixteen. Still mad but at least I know it. Well done you :clap:

all good news for you and peckham and any others who have to battle the demons. i joined many years ago,turned my life around and been sober for some time.its a hard journey but the benfits are great.i dont have to explain to you lads about the dark side when active. To wake up and dont have to be looking over my shoulder due to my actions everyday is a bonus.......peace of mind

all good news for you and peckham and any others who have to battle the demons. i joined many years ago,turned my life around and been sober for some time.its a hard journey but the benfits are great.i dont have to explain to you lads about the dark side when active. To wake up and dont have to be looking over my shoulder due to my actions everyday is a bonus.......peace of mind
Well done mate.

Just bought a gaff in Suffolk. Yours sounds very similar. Absolutely love it there but my other half's illness is stopping us from living there for now. Bring it on.
Whereabouts mate? We love Suffolk and go every year with the dog or dogs for our UK holiday.

Nayland mate. You'll probably know it. Bottom end but feels nothing like Essex😉
Not been there. We tend to go to Alburgh and inland villages like Orford and Wenhaston and Easton. It’s a gourmet paradise for us plus they are very dog friendly and I’m not talking about Essex girls 😉🤣🤣

Not been there. We tend to go to Alburgh and inland villages like Orford and Wenhaston and Easton. It’s a gourmet paradise for us plus they are very dog friendly and I’m not talking about Essex girls 😉🤣🤣
Nayland is lovely and that whole area Dedham Vale is stunning. Constable country. Kersey is a knock out. But Aldeburgh is great. We go there most times we're in Suffolk. Lighthouse and Regatta great restaurants. Beautiful county all round and unspoilt. Not ruined by cockney cunts like me as other areas have been😁