All this about GR

He does make attacking changes before we concede a goal. He brought on Esse at Hull on Monday and five minutes later we were one nil down…

Brought him on yesterday and we were 2-0 up less than 2 minutes later

How on earth aren't we above Burnley the title all ready in the bag, plotting next years rise to the pinnacle is beyond me.
If only Rowett would .listen to some of our experts, FFS it's not hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mind you I think most of them belong on Charltonlife .

He does make attacking changes before we concede a goal. He brought on Esse at Hull on Monday and five minutes later we were one nil down…

Brought him on yesterday and we were 2-0 up less than 2 minutes later

We were already winning the game though, but that’s neither here nor there tbh. No one is against Esse starting it’s that some people seem to think that Rowett for whatever reason doesn’t want to play him when that’s not the case, in fact it’s more the opposite which is probably why Esse is our first choice sub nowadays.

Has anybody considered the notion that the reason Esse looks so impressive when he does come on is because of the excellent way his development has been handled so far? Don’t forget that the boy is only 17 and Rowett rates him so highly that he has brought him straight up from the U18s, more or less bypassing the U21s.

We’ve seen enough of him to realise that while he undoubtedly has the talent and attitude to go all the way he will sometimes make the wrong choice now and then while he’s learning, which is absolutely fine by me but when you remember how Burey got absolutely slaughtered just a few months back for doing very little wrong I can fully understand why Rowett is introducing him slowly.

Patience is the key really, next season Esse will be a big player for us and that will be because of the careful way he has been brought into the first team fold in this current season. I’m certain that if Rowett had thrown him in at the deep end months ago plenty of people would have been on his back the moment he got something wrong.

Has anybody considered the notion that the reason Esse looks so impressive when he does come on is because of the excellent way his development has been handled so far? Don’t forget that the boy is only 17 and Rowett rates him so highly that he has brought him straight up from the U18s, more or less bypassing the U21s.

Fuck me, you've just gone and ruined a perfectly good thread with some good ol' Fashion, Pre-Internet, Footballing common sense.

:grinning:

We were already winning the game though, but that’s neither here nor there tbh. No one is against Esse starting it’s that some people seem to think that Rowett for whatever reason doesn’t want to play him when that’s not the case, in fact it’s more the opposite which is probably why Esse is our first choice sub nowadays.

We’ve seen enough of him to realise that while he undoubtedly has the talent and attitude to go all the way he will sometimes make the wrong choice now and then while he’s learning, which is absolutely fine by me but when you remember how Burey got absolutely slaughtered just a few months back for doing very little wrong I can fully understand why Rowett is introducing him slowly.

Patience is the key really, next season Esse will be a big player for us and that will be because of the careful way he has been brought into the first team fold in this current season. I’m certain that if Rowett had thrown him in at the deep end months ago plenty of people would have been on his back the moment he got something wrong.
Everything you say is true, IW, but playing devils advocate, Jude Bellingham played 41 times for Birmingham City, scoring 4 goals, before they sold him to Borussia Dortmund for an undisclosed fee rumoured to be around £25M!

He was 17 years old! Same age as Esse is now!

Birmingham took the approach to throw him in at the deep end, and it obviously worked as he ended up playing 41 games for them before he was sold!

When supporters hear things like that, it’s only natural to think that their player (in this case Esse for us), could do the same! As to whether Esse could start every game next season, the only way to find out would be to play him at the start of each game and see how he does!

Everything you say is true, IW, but playing devils advocate, Jude Bellingham played 41 times for Birmingham City, scoring 4 goals, before they sold him to Borussia Dortmund for an undisclosed fee rumoured to be around £25M!

Birmingham took the approach to throw him in at the deep end, and it obviously worked as he ended up playing 41 games for them before he was sold!

When supporters hear things like that, it’s only natural to think that their player (in this case Esse for us), could do the same! As to whether Esse could start every game next season, the only way to find out would be to play him at the start of each game and see how he does!
Surely by definition, Bellingham is the exception to the rule? How many other 17 year old English kids have gone for that sort of money?

Mate we went through this a few years back when you was comparing Bellingham with George Alexander ffs. Bellingham was a rare exception, he was taking the piss out of older players when he was barely a teenager, he was at the same time attracting attention from clubs all over Europe and was playing for higher England age groups beyond his years.

Bellingham was destined for the top from a very young age but other than that he was playing for a club whose fans were willing to let him develop at his own pace. As I’ve said I’m pretty sure that if Esse had a couple of below par games our fans would be on his back, we don’t know much about his self confidence and how he might have reacted to a few boos.

There is no argument to be had here, the club is managing his development very well so far and I trust the manager and coaches to get it right.

Esse is 17 years old and still physically lightweight although obviously he has bags of talent .Rowett obviously thinks the rigours of the championship for 90 minutes would be difficult for him. By what we have seen so far I think we have to agree. Rowett is protecting an asset and he’s right to do that with the boy’s development at stake.
Not only the physicalities of it but the mental aspect, as already mentioned look at the dogs abuse Burey has got by some of our mob.
To compare Esse to Bellingham is already high praise indeed although a bit premature in my humble opinion.He doesn’t have the physical attributes and build that Bellingham had at that age.
Having said all that I reckon we could see him start against brum on Tuesday taking into account how in effective Burke and the German were in the final third yesterday.
Malone will obviously start and maybe Danny should be given a rest for shacks.
Watmore should also start, Bennett Danny Mac ,volgalslammer and Burke on bench for me.
But you can never second guess Rowett and he’s got us this far so we should trust his judgment COYL

Members online