Norwich v Wall match thread. Sunday 12pm KO

All they do is play quick neat passing football, and react fast with the fitness they have been made to atain. They help each other by moving into a passing position. Nearly every time we have the ball we struggle to have someone available. We are never comfortable on the ball. Forwards know to pressure our back 3 as their ball control will put us in trouble. Fitness between the 2 teams today was easily spotted. Can’t remember the last time we completely outplayed another team.
When I watch the game, I’m looking at the players. Whatever tactics are being employed, it does not excuse missed placed passes, lumping the ball forward, a lack of vision, sideways and backwards passing when we are supposed to be moving forward, a lack of control when taking a shot,
( Billy’s shot was embarrassing) etc. Again the youngsters did well today. But that’s it. I’m not letting the players off the hook, with just GR taking the flack. Just my view.

When I watch the game, I’m looking at the players. Whatever tactics are being employed, it does not excuse missed placed passes, lumping the ball forward, a lack of vision, sideways and backwards passing when we are supposed to be moving forward, a lack of control when taking a shot,
( Billy’s shot was embarrassing) etc. Again the youngsters did well today. But that’s it. I’m not letting the players off the hook, with just GR taking the flack. Just my view.

My view as well...

GR inherited an unsteady Millwall team when he first came in. Same kind of players as Harris had.

Yes, he did inherit Harris’ team and for a while things improved, but that was when he was prepared to do then, what he won’t do now, which is change formation and tactics to try and change the outcome of a game! Now, I don’t know if things started to change when Barrett came in to replace Davidson, but Rowett’s adventurous spirit seemed to desert him, and I don’t think he’s ever gotten that back!

GR has, season after season, improved our finishing position, whilst getting rid of leftover dead wood and attracting players into the club of a higher calibre.

He has also bought a lot of dead wood as well! Woods, Kieftenbeld, Bennett (played well when not injured), to name but three!

We have always improved. As a Millwall fan, I don't expect us to be competing for the playoffs season after season.

Unfortunately, we’ve become a victim of our recent success, finishing near to the playoffs these past few seasons! Add to that a late chairman (and now his son), giving Rowett decent money to buy better players to get us near there, then it’s only human nature to expect supporters wanting the club to go one better this season!

If we are in the same division this time next season I'm happy.

Agreed!

Under Rowett, we will not get relegated.

Never say never! A club is always only one season away from relegation! And if Rowett is sacked and we still go down with a new manager, then I guess your statement would be factually correct! :grinning:

Some need to ask themselves, is it not OK for Rowett and the team to not have 1 mediocre season, or to narrow it down more, a mediocre start to the season.

Of course! I don’t think anyone on this forum minds if we’re beaten by a better team, as long as our players try their hardest to go out and win for themselves and their supporters! That didn’t happen against Reading, Bristol City or today against Norwich!

As I previously said, Rowett has now heard those chants, and his comments after the game has proved that. I honestly don't think he'll apply the same tactics vs Stoke.

And if he does, what then?

Football may not be pretty at times, but the league is a marathon and not a sprint.

It’s hardly ever pretty under Rowett! :grinning: Yes, the league is a marathon, but just like it, if you’re not good enough you can soon find yourself at the back of the pack and out of the race!

Knee jerk reactions over a couple or games in can't be the answer. We have enough time to get a player or 2 in. We normally dip into the loan market and GR has been pretty shrewd with this option.

Will we though? Does anyone know if Rowett thinks we need anyone else? We’ve all been saying that we could do with one (possibly two) CH’s to come in on loan, but Rowett has cover there so might not think that position needs strengthening! The club has also spent a fair amount of wedge over the summer, bringing in the likes of Nisbet, De Norre, Sarkic and Bryan, so there might not be any more money left to spend on any positions Rowett wants!

We missed De Norre & Joe Bryan today who both picked up knocks during the week. 2 starting players.

I don’t think either player would have stood a chance against the midfield and forward line of Norwich today! I think we have to face facts that, for whatever reason, our first 11 have been poor in our last 3 games, and something has to change, whether that be the manager, the formations or tactics or all 3!

It all seems out of balance, we buy players to advance things, but already are not playing them or not playing them to the best advantage . I take it Bryan was injured? I’ve long been against the formation GR uses, partly because we don’t have the players to use it, three fairly slow Centre backs. If we were drawing games 0-0, fair enough, but 3 against in an 8 man defence? Why he thinks a system that didnt work last season can work with players older who knows, as for the rest, they are good players, yes emakhu looks promising but we have only seen him against tiring teams. Surely we go 433, give us some bite in midfield, and oh yes perhaps our leading scorers and talisman should start.
Sarina learnt her lesson today, changed the system at half-time and made 2 big substitutions. Okay, it didn’t come off but could easily have. If we had equalised we would have gone on to win the game.

GR takes an age to make changes and, invariably, they are often marginal🤷‍♂️

He’s never going to change which ultimately could/will lead to us losing our best players, something we simply cannot afford to do 😞

Rowett "I’ve worked so hard here for 4 years, living away from my family, for me, that (fan chants) were poor , I understand they are disappointed . I’m more hurt by the performance on the pitch."
Why didn’t his family move with him? Maybe he wasn’t planning to stick around for that long?

If we had equalised we would have gone on to win the game.

If Spain had scored their penalty, they would have won 2-0.
:grinning:

Our goal up at Norwich was a decent goal. That, hopeless ball passer, Cooper, put the ball right on Bradshaw's head, about 50/60 yards away. It wasn't an aimless punt either, he spotted him in a decent position. Then Emakhu, tucked the ball away very nicely.

I would like him to explain why he isn't starting Bradshaw, is there a fitness problem after he run his bollocks off for us last season, did brilliant last year along with Flemming. Normally your new signing fights for a place in the starting line up, unless you are a multi million pound superstar, but Nisbet has walked straight in, not criticising him because the service has been shite, but it's odd to say the least. 🤔

I don't blame him, I didn't join in those chants today as I thought the dreadful performance was down to the players.
No pressing from the front, a lack of movement off the ball and a desperate lack of urgency amongst them all.
The question the interviewer asked Rowett was a good one - “what’s changed since the win at Boro?” The response was disappointing “I don’t know?” Well you should have worked it out by now Gary!

If Spain had scored their penalty, they would have won 2-0.

Our goal up at Norwich was a decent goal. That, hopeless ball passer, Cooper, put the ball right on Bradshaw's head, about 50/60 yards away. It wasn't an aimless punt either, he spotted him in a decent position. Then Emakhu, tucked the ball away very nicely.

1st goal - Esse doesn’t know how to defend against a 1-2 :wagging:

2nd goal - Sarkic shouldn’t have come and Sargent should have been picked up :slap:

3rd goal - Billy ball watching (again) and the player he should have been marking flicked the ball inside Murray for the cross 🤷‍♂️

Eight goals conceded so far this season and every one could have been prevented by competent defending 😞

Emakhu goal good 👍. He deserves to start (y)

From what I saw, the defence is too ponderous, by the time Hutchinson has passed to Cooper who looks up takes a touch and passes onto Wallace who in turn ever does a cruff inside or a long pass? down the wing, any advantage has gone. So predictable. Nobody making themselves available unless facing our own goal.
Little triangles that mean nothing as the end product is ever a misplaced pass or a pass hit so hard that it would reach someone 3 times the distance and the ball is lost.
Throw ins, again nobody showing unless running in at 50 mph and has little chance of control and ever knocks it back to the thrower or out of play. Again too ponderous, must work on quick throws to get any advantage.
No or very little service to our front player(s) whoever they are.
Esse showed skill but also showed inexperience, inpact at present or no doubt he will get the treatment others have suffered though a misplaced pass or failing to track a player.
Emaku showed desire and strength to score a superb goal and again is an impact player
at present.
Front players are too remote,in fact when they did hunt together they nearly were rewarded but for a great block by the Norwich defender.
A really off day for the defence, I would say that the keeper, other than the punch, did well. The 3rd goal just fell nice for the forward after coming off a Millwall defender.
Overall the team looked off the pace, my question is are they fully fit?

I don't blame him, I didn't join in those chants today as I thought the dreadful performance was down to the players.
No pressing from the front, a lack of movement off the ball and a desperate lack of urgency amongst them all.
The chants were inappropriate and distasteful. Nobody should be spoken to like that and it doesn’t serve any useful purpose other than allow disappointed fans to vent their spleen but there are more constructive ways of doing so. As fans we have to man up and take it on the chin and absorb our frustrations for the benefit of the team. They certainly won’t get any better if they are constantly being dug out. Let’s be patient, supportive and understanding; then we will generate improved performance.

Did the players come over to the fans at the end ?
Yeah they did, Hutch was trying to calm a few of ours down. They got a small applause, loads of us had fucked off before, few behind me was looking to get the 1.15 train home at half time!!

Emakhu goal good 👍. He deserves to start (y)

What about Cooper's and Bradshaw's involvement? It was good play from start to finish...I was just pointing out a 'Wall positive in a game full of negatives.

The whole afternoon has been complete negativity (incuding me) and probably rightly so, but come on, a little bit of praise when it's rightly due from a terrible performance. I mean, if there had been a little bit more of that these last couple of games, people wouldn't be labelling GR a Beaver with completely over the top insults.

Those of us old enough to remember Petchey and the dismal football he had us playing, should be grateful that under Rowett we have stability to stay in the championship.
Remember the next hollowhead is around the corner !!
I'd love us to play expansive attacking football but be honest with yourselves our budget against Leicester, Norwich,Weeds, Southampton, West Brom, Watford, Swansea, Huddlesfield. Stoke. QPhaha, Blackburn, and probably 4 more, where do you expect us to be ?
Truth is we've over achieved under Rowett. if he'd came in and took us to 21st, 20th and 19th we'd be saying we've made progression, yet we flirt with the playoffs and fuck me we become the spotters, our all conquering champions league team.
I understand frustrations but please........
We are M(ILLWALL THE BIGGEST SMALL CLUB IN THE WORLD.
Let's get a grip

Those of us old enough to remember Petchey and the dismal football he had us playing, should be grateful that under Rowett we have stability to stay in the championship.
Remember the next hollowhead is around the corner !!
I'd love us to play expansive attacking football but be honest with yourselves our budget against Leicester, Norwich,Weeds, Southampton, West Brom, Watford, Swansea, Huddlesfield. Stoke. QPhaha, Blackburn, and probably 4 more, where do you expect us to be ?
Truth is we've over achieved under Rowett. if he'd came in and took us to 21st, 20th and 19th we'd be saying we've made progression, yet we flirt with the playoffs and fuck me we become the spotters, our all conquering champions league team.
I understand frustrations but please........
We are M(ILLWALL THE BIGGEST SMALL CLUB IN THE WORLD.
Let's get a grip
I remember Petchey and Anderson. But I can also remember Jago, Graham, Docherty, McCarthy (for a while), McGhee, Wise all playing decent attacking football at home. It’s not all about budget. It’s also about set up, planning and tactics. In my opinion we could be far better at home and get the crowd involved. It worries me there are all defensive coaches on the bench and we seem tactically to be going no where. I won’t go on, it’s just my opinion. I think our style of football is prehistoric. All depends what you want I guess.