RIP John Berylson - A true Millwall legend!

I have seen that also, evidently he hit a tree, although alive when first responders arrived he died at the scene. I have seen the news video but unable to share it as doesn’t have link.
Apparently it happened at 8am US time (so if it happened on the East Coast that would have been about 1pm our time), and reports suggest that John lost control of the car.

I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea on here, but Fat Dan gave a moving tribute on his Lions TV channel an hour ago, and amongst the things he spoke about regarding John, was John’s love and passion for the club and how he felt about us, the supporters. One crumb of comfort in this horrible turn of events is that it was also mentioned that ‘things were in place’ at the club, to keep it running as before, should John have to retire, or due to his unfortunate passing.

His son James is on the Millwall board, and assuming he (and perhaps his two sisters as well) inherits his father’s business now, there’s a good chance that Millwall will still come under its umbrella of companies they own and not be sold. If that is the case, we as supporters can only hope that they will take over the reins at Millwall and run it with the same passion and level of love and commitment that their father did for the past 16 years!

His son James is on the Millwall board, and assuming he (and perhaps his two sisters as well) inherits his father’s business now, there’s a good chance that Millwall will still come under its umbrella of companies they own and not be sold. If that is the case, we as supporters can only hope that they will take over the reins at Millwall and run it with the same passion and level of love and commitment that their father did for the past 16 years!
If they have his business acumen that would be brilliant.

I have seen that also, evidently he hit a tree, although alive when first responders arrived he died at the scene. I have seen the news video but unable to share it as doesn’t have link.
Where did you see the news video?

That is a great and fitting tribute. Was thinking, JB has to be one the few chairmen that you never heard a bad word said about him. Coming in as a complete outsider he turned out be not only a very good owner/ guardian of our wonderful club but also a fan/ supporter. He wore the blue and white scarf with pride, it wasn't just worn for the cameras it was worn because he became one of us.

He took to us very quickly. He loved the fact that we were tough but also very passionate. He loved the fact that we are proud of and always support our armed forces both past and present. At first we had nothing in common other than being connected to Millwall but that soon changed as he began to understand us and our history.

He himself was a serviceman, so brave and as tough as they come but also had a heart made of gold. He defended us and fought our corner on countless occasions. Something of a rarity in modern football. He wasn't just our chairman he was also a supporter that became part of this wonderful millwall family.

Whatever happens from now on is another debate but i'm sure we'll be in good hands with JB'S son and immediate family. The man loved this club and i'm sure that the Berylson family will contine to do us and and our late great chairman very proud.

Last edited:
You only have to see the the testinomies coming in from former players to understand what a decent human being he was. It seems he helped many a player with situations outside of football.

Was just about to say the same mate. The amount of testimonies from former players is astonishing, I’ve just read another beautiful tribute from Matt Smith. JB truly was a remarkable man.

Jed Wallace travelled down to the Den today to pay his respects.

Whatever issues I've had with Jed in the past, that is very decent of him.
Fair play. I don’t think his love for our club was ever really in question, at the end of the day he was offered more money elsewhere and took it while he had the chance. Signing a 3 year deal with us would take him to 30 with a ‘big’ move well and truly out of the window.

You only have to see the the testinomies coming in from former players to understand what a decent human being he was. It seems he helped many a player with situations outside of football.
I think that what is being said on here tells us something too. I know that most of us will be slow to speak ill of the dead but I think that it's true to say that just about every supporter here is genuinely upset to hear about John Berylson's death. It's clear that he was universally well regarded by supporters. How many chairmen can football clubs can you say that about? That in itself is a real tribute to the man.