Why have we improved?

I doubt any team that hasn't recently dropped from the money league will get an automatic place. There is a pattern forming in this league now where yoyo clubs like Fulham. Watford and Norwich helped by ridiculous parachute payments dominate the automatic places in the championship. I won't grumble to much if we can maintain our place and be competitive each season.
Agreed.

Our stats for this season (so far), compared to how we finished last season, seem to back up your statement (which I’ve put in bold).

Already this season we’ve won 15 games, which is an improvement on last season’s final total of 15 (assuming we win at least 1 more of our remaining 8 games to better that total), but all of the teams above us have won at least 1 more than we have. We’re currently sitting on 11 defeats, compared to last season’s final tally of 14, and we’re holding our own against all the teams from Huddersfield down to Forest above us (who have all lost between 10 - 12 games). Compare those defeats with the top two, however, Fulham have only lost 6 and Bournemouth 7 (which is almost half the number of defeats that we have), so on that basis, we still have a bit more to do in that department, next season.

Unfortunately, the one area where we’ve fallen down yet again, has been the number of draws we’ve had. Already we’re on 12 (which so far is an improvement on the 17 games we drew last season), but if you look at the current play off teams, it’s only Huddersfield who have equalled us with that number, whereas Luton have drawn 9 and Sheffield United and Blackburn are both on 10. It’s those two or three more draws which have kept us out of the play off positions this season.

Hopefully, if Rowett is able to bring a bit of fire power into the squad this summer, we might get the number of wins up, thereby giving us a few more points on the board, and those extra wins will keep the draw numbers down, and we will have every chance of finishing in the play off positions at the end of next season.

Points wise, last season we finished on 62 points, yet this season, we’re going into the international break on 57 points. So, all in all, this season is shaping up to be an improvement on last season, but it would be nice to finish a little higher in the league (even if we don’t make the play offs), as we’re currently only 1 place better off in this season’s table, compared to where we finished last season.

At this point in the season, I would give the players and Rowett an A rating for performance and league position. Hopefully that can be bumped up to the highest A Star rating, should we somehow miraculously bag a play off spot by the end of the season!

Agreed.

Our stats for this season (so far), compared to how we finished last season, seem to back up your statement (which I’ve put in bold).

Already this season we’ve won 15 games, which is an improvement on last season’s final total of 15 (assuming we win at least 1 more of our remaining 8 games to better that total), but all of the teams above us have won at least 1 more than we have. We’re currently sitting on 11 defeats, compared to last season’s final tally of 14, and we’re holding our own against all the teams from Huddersfield down to Forest above us (who have all lost between 10 - 12 games). Compare those defeats with the top two, however, Fulham have only lost 6 and Bournemouth 7 (which is almost half the number of defeats that we have), so on that basis, we still have a bit more to do in that department, next season.

Unfortunately, the one area where we’ve fallen down yet again, has been the number of draws we’ve had. Already we’re on 12 (which so far is an improvement on the 17 games we drew last season), but if you look at the current play off teams, it’s only Huddersfield who have equalled us with that number, whereas Luton have drawn 9 and Sheffield United and Blackburn are both on 10. It’s those two or three more draws which have kept us out of the play off positions this season.

Hopefully, if Rowett is able to bring a bit of fire power into the squad this summer, we might get the number of wins up, thereby giving us a few more points on the board, and those extra wins will keep the draw numbers down, and we will have every chance of finishing in the play off positions at the end of next season.

Points wise, last season we finished on 62 points, yet this season, we’re going into the international break on 57 points. So, all in all, this season is shaping up to be an improvement on last season, but it would be nice to finish a little higher in the league (even if we don’t make the play offs), as we’re currently only 1 place better off in this season’s table, compared to where we finished last season.

At this point in the season, I would give the players and Rowett an A rating for performance and league position. Hopefully that can be bumped up to the highest A Star rating, should we somehow miraculously bag a play off spot by the end of the season!
Stawankery of the highest order, Sir!
And a realistic interpretation too. Nice one.

Fulham have only lost 6 and Bournemouth 7 (which is almost half the number of defeats that we have), so on that basis, we still have a bit more to do in that department, next season.
All we need is a parachute payment or two to be able to afford the fee and astronomical wages for a striker that will get you the goals both Fulham and Bournemouth have accumulated!

Unfortunately, the one area where we’ve fallen down yet again, has been the number of draws we’ve had.
I'm a glass half full man when it comes to us. I see it the other way, they aren't defeats. It kind of goes hand in hand with my point above, if only we had the readies or luck to find that elusive 20 goals a season striker!

All we need is a parachute payment or two to be able to afford the fee and astronomical wages for a striker that will get you the goals both Fulham and Bournemouth have accumulated!
Ha! Ha! We’d need to get relegated from the Prem first, in order to get those parachute payments, and to get to the Prem in the first place, we’d need a forward who can get us 20+ goals a season. Chicken and egg syndrome.

As improved a player as he has been recently, there’s no guarantee that Rowett will sign Afobe at the end of this season, especially if he feels the team need a consistent goal scorer who is going to get 20+ goals a season (which Afobe won’t get), so that would only leave us with one recognised forward in Tom Bradshaw!

To get a forward that can score goals on a consistent basis (from whatever division), is surely going to cost JB £1M+, and would he want to spend that much money on one player, especially if he came from a lower league, with no guarantee that he could make the step up to the Championship successfully?

Personally, I’d like Rowett to use Olaofe, Lovelace and Briscoe in the pre season friendlies and see how they fair. There’s always a chance that one or two of them will shine, and Rowett may feel they’ve earned the right to have them warming the bench when the season starts proper!

Ha! Ha! We’d need to get relegated from the Prem first, in order to get those parachute payments, and to get to the Prem in the first place, we’d need a forward who can get us 20+ goals a season.
That was my point, trying comparing us to moneybags like Fulham and Bournemouth is a waste of time. They turn draws into wins because they have the fire power.