Why have we improved?

I think Rowett has let them be more attack minded/ adventurous since we've had enough points on the board for a comfortable finish. A month ago we was talking about a possible battle for safety. His first job is to secure us another season at this level, so being cagey and defence minded with our smallish squad kind of makes sense. As frustrating as that is it's the reality for a club our size and with limited funds.

I think Rowett has let them be more attack minded/ adventurous since we've had enough points on the board for a comfortable finish. A month ago we was talking about a possible battle for safety. His first job is to secure us another season at this level, so being cagey and defence minded with our smallish squad kind of makes sense. As frustrating as that is it's the reality for a club our size and with limited funds.
I understand what you mean, and looking back on it, it makes perfect sense for Rowett to have been cautious, based as you say on our smallish squad and limited funds. The only problem I can see with Rowett’s plan is, can we expect the same thing again next season?

JB has already said there will be funds available to improve the squad for next season, and chances are we will still be in the Championship, but whatever money he gives to Rowett, if it isn’t enough to allow the manager to buy the types of player(s) he wants that are gonna fire us to an automatic promotion spot next season, won’t Rowett be cautious yet again, only releasing the shackles from the players once he’s certain that relegation has been avoided? If he does that, chances are we might miss out on the play offs yet again!

I understand what you mean, and looking back on it, it makes perfect sense for Rowett to have been cautious, based as you say on our smallish squad and limited funds. The only problem I can see with Rowett’s plan is, can we expect the same thing again next season?
I guess so, firstly because of the money other clubs have to spend and second, he's a cautious manager by nature it seems. Perhaps we will see the same who knows!

JB has already said there will be funds available to improve the squad for next season, and chances are we will still be in the Championship, but whatever money he gives to Rowett, if it isn’t enough to allow the manager to buy the types of player(s) he wants that are gonna fire us to an automatic promotion spot next season, won’t Rowett be cautious yet again, only releasing the shackles from the players once he’s certain that relegation has been avoided? If he does that, chances are we might miss out on the play offs yet again!
I doubt any team that hasn't recently dropped from the money league will get an automatic place. There is a pattern forming in this league now where yoyo clubs like Fulham. Watford and Norwich helped by ridiculous parachute payments dominate the automatic places in the championship. I won't grumble to much if we can maintain our place and be competitive each season.