why did we stop producing the program?

You can get a “match pack” sent to your e mail but to be honest I’ve never bothered to download it.

Yes lads, purely down to cost.

Plus, unless you have substantial 'fan' base, gates of around 12,000 to 15,000 are just not viable.

A knew a lad back in the 60s, who supported Chelsea.

He went to a match against Manchester United at The Bridge around 1966; attendance 62,000, the club claimed to have sold 65,000 programmes!

Also, I think it's a generational thing; don't think kids really have collected them since the turn of the century.

Unless they can read it on the phone, they're just not interested.

Plus, unless you have substantial 'fan' base, gates of around 12,000 to 15,000 are just not viable.

He went to a match against Manchester United at The Bridge around 1966; attendance 62,000, the club claimed to have sold 65,000 programmes!

Also, I think it's a generational thing; don't think kids really have collected them since the turn of the century.

Everything from our..and yours, Paris...generation, is collectable.

I wonder what would gain that status from this century?

Everything from our..and yours, Paris...generation, is collectable.

I wonder what would gain that status from this century?

Yes mate, collecting did seem important back in the day.

Perhaps it's because we didn't have materialistic stuff back in the 50/60s.

We collected everything; football programmes, stamps, tea cards, beer labels, beer mats and copies of the Eagle comic.

The weirdest I can remember were Castrol Oil lubrication charts - don't ask me why, but they are now going on eBay for twenty quid a pop!

😆

The one being sold outside the ground for a quid ain’t bad, but the £2 for the lion roars not as good

From the OS:

Like in other areas, it would have to make sense from a financial perspective and we are having to strictly review the economics around all our decision-making during this cost of living crisis. This was the most significant factor in our reluctant decision to cease production of the matchday programme. Sales had gone from a very respectable and profitable 18% of the crowd in 2012 to just under 8% in the season just gone, making the entire operation for 2021/22 loss making to the tune of just over £35,000. We of course considered reducing the programme size and/or quality of production, but it was our belief that this was serve only to accelerate the sales decline even further this season.

Back in the day i always bought a programme. I remember the game against Enfield they sold out and i couldn't get one. I almost had a meltdown. But in later years technology made them irrelevant. They were out of date before they were printed and mostly full of adverts.

My lads 8. Doesn’t stop going on about he’s program and organising them in the right order. He learned all the players names and numbers from the back of it. Fair play to the fan base for continuing it. Would be a slightly lesser experience for them to be missing from match days.

Last edited:
When I used to buy a program regularly, must be talking prior to 20 years ago I suppose, the cost of the program to me didn't seem a massive outlay for what I was getting. Nowadays a program, together with the ticket price, seems prohibitively expensive. Can't do without the match ticket, can do without the program.

Also, I suppose that years ago you'd buy the program to see photos of recent matches, especially aways that you might not have travelled too; I remember pawing over pics of midweek away at Port Vale or similar. Now you've seen it all on the telly anyway, so those images are not really in demand.

I have about 300 match day programmes at home, including the very last one produced. Won't be selling these in a hurry, probably end up being a collectibles item in many years to come.. unless they start producing them again

Reactions: Owl
I have about 300 match day programmes at home, including the very last one produced. Won't be selling these in a hurry, probably end up being a collectibles item in many years to come.. unless they start producing them again
Multiply that by about 5 and that’s the number I have gathering dust, including the last one, which is nice.

Reactions: Owl
Yes mate, collecting did seem important back in the day.

Perhaps it's because we didn't have materialistic stuff back in the 50/60s.

We collected everything; football programmes, stamps, tea cards, beer labels, beer mats and copies of the Eagle comic.

The weirdest I can remember were Castrol Oil lubrication charts - don't ask me why, but they are now going on eBay for twenty quid a pop!

😆
I remember the Castrol lubrication charts and had Lambretta and Vespa ones ,that was late 1960's

Members online