Where will we finish in the table this season?

Peckham Lion

Staff member
Just had a look at the teams in this division for the coming season and it could potentially be a very tough league. Don't know how strong and stable the teams that dropped down are, could be basket cases but with the parachute payments they've got to be considered a threat. I think last season was a one off with the likes of West brom and Watford not living up to expectations. I thought it was the most open division that there's been for a while.

We have strengthened with Bryan and Nisbet plus the two exciting prospects in Emakhu and Esse looking to get more time, we could be in for some exciting battles.We came up short because at times we lacked goals. We have sought to remedy that which could make a huge difference this time around.

I don't think we'll struggIe, i actually think we'll kick on from where we left off. I don't think the two young lads will both start but they are proper assets to have when a game is stretched.

Bryan is an experienced pro that likes to get forward too. Nisbet needs to hit the ground running and get the crowd on his side. He looks decent in and around the box and Bradshaw will want to better last seasons healthy tally which i think he will.

Would be handy if got Stiles back or someone else of his ilk. Billy has another season under his belt and Saville will galvanise and lead from the front. Flemming is bedded in and will want to better last seasons exploits in front of goal. The defence will be stronger with Bryan in it. We have a strong bench too.

We'll be no pushover and look stronger for the new recruits and what ever else is to come in. Rowett is no mug and will want go one bettter than last season and push us on.

Less than a month to go now and i'm starting to get the feel for it again. It could be a very interesting season with some big games to look forward. Give me this league over the premier every time, proper clubs and proper passionate fans. There will be some bumper crowds and good away followings. We as a crowd thrive on that and that is transfered onto the pitch. My only prediction is somewhere in the top ten.

We fear no foe.

Last edited:
Top ten but not confident about making the play offs, the 3 coming down will be as strong as Burnley were, stronger than the other 2 that went up and as for the 3 coming up from div3, only Plymouth will struggle, Wednesday will be better than the 3 that went down and Ipswich will be comfortable in the Championship.

For me, it is bringing in a GK, Travers would be great and a CM dominant ball winner that is better than Mitchell that would give me the confidence that we could compete for the play offs.

Top 10. Depends on transfers between now and the start of the season. I we retain our better players and sign a coupe more in key areas then I think we will be in and around 6th spot again.

I think there are still too many ifs and buts at the moment to be able to confidently say how our season will pan out. A lot of course depends on how the situation with Flemming plays out. If he goes, and I think he will, it come down to how we spend some of that money although I have a sneaking suspicion that Esse might be being lined up to play in that position between the midfield and attack.

I think that one of the positions that urgently need strengthening is at CB. Hutchinson is in the twilight of his career and you can almost guarantee that he will be out injured at some point and while Cooper will always be Mr Reliable his ability with the ball at his feet leaves a bit to be desired. I know most people assume that Murray Wallace will be in contention to play at CB but he has hardly played there in the four years or so he’s been at the club so I don’t think we can really count on him.

With a new keeper, a ball playing CB and maybe a more technical midfielder that can unlock the door we can challenge for the playoffs again but as it stands at the moment I think we’ll float around mid table for most of the season. Leicester will piss the division while the surprise package could be Ipswich who looked excellent against us in pre season last year and have improved since then.

Heart says top two ..................................

So I'm sticking with that, looking forward to the season and to going to quite a few aways as well..........Bring it on.

If Nisbet hits the ground running and Flemming stays and if he and Bradshaw can repeat last years goals and we can get the Bournemouth keeper on loan then 4th. If not, then anywhere between 6th and 11th.

Rowett out.

The league is definitely stronger on paper, but I think the likes of Leeds will struggle. Should be a battle between Leicester and Southampton for top spot I would have thought.

In my mind it’s a level playing field for the rest of the league. Sunderland have got a good team, Coventry lost their star man so could struggle to replicate last year. Blackburn also losing Diaz is a big blow to their chances.

I'd also say that the three youngsters Adoma-Malik, Okoli and Esse are very impressive and could all have breakthrough seasons. Adoma-Malik is strong, good on the ball and gives us options on the left side of defence. Okoli is a leader, a man mountain and has everything to be a top drawer defender. Esse is our jewel. This boy can be anything he wants, he is that good.

I think Honeyman is being looked at as a right wing-back for this season and if anyone can play that position, he can. Having him and Bryan as our wing-backs would improve our attacking play in the wide areas no end.

I think the division this year will be tough. Last season was a freak with 2 teams running the show. With our budget and crowd a top half finish will be some achievement. However football is unpredictable just look At Leicester. So let’s hope we have unpredictability this season and we surprise even ourselves. Although I wouldn’t want us in the premier, 1 season for a pot of money would come in handy.

I'm always happy with a top 10 finish. But if we get a decent enough keeper (Bournemouth loanee) keep flemming for the full season and we hit the ground running, baring injuries I reckon we could make the play offs without fucking up again, then it's in the hands of Bradshaw, Wallace and the football gods. So get praying 🙏

I'm always happy with a top 10 finish. But if we get a decent enough keeper (Bournemouth loanee) keep flemming for the full season and we hit the ground running, baring injuries I reckon we could make the play offs without fucking up again, then it's in the hands of Bradshaw, Wallace and the football gods. So get praying 🙏
Is there any concrete evidence that a) Rowett is looking for a new keeper, and b) that if he comes in he will immediately replace Long in our first game away to Boro?

Personally, I can‘t see Long not being between the sticks come Aug 5th!

With squad as it is today, we’ll struggle to make the top half. Add a decent keeper, two midfielders we’ll push up to 8-10th. If several of the promising kids really break through, who knows ? But we do need to take advantage of our last few years consistency. Teams don’t generally stand still, they progress or they regress. This season will tell us which way we’re headed.

Is there any concrete evidence that a) Rowett is looking for a new keeper, and b) that if he comes in he will immediately replace Long in our first game away to Boro?

Personally, I can‘t see Long not being between the sticks come Aug 5th!
You're right there's no concrete evidence we're looking for a new keeper, it's just my personal opinion that to succeed this season it's top of the list.

Just had a look at the teams in this division for the coming season and it could potentially be a very tough league. Don't know how strong and stable the teams that dropped down are, could be basket cases but with the parachute payments they've got to be considered a threat. I think last season was a one off with the likes of West brom and Watford not living up to expectations. I thought it was the most open division that there's been for a while.

We have strengthened with Bryan and Nisbet plus the two exciting prospects in Emakhu and Esse looking to get more time, we could be in for some exciting battles.We came up short because at times we lacked goals. We have sought to remedy that which could make a huge difference this time around.

I don't think we'll struggIe, i actually think we'll kick on from where we left off. I don't think the two young lads will both start but they are proper assets to have when a game is stretched.

Bryan is an experienced pro that likes to get forward too. Nisbet needs to hit the ground running and get the crowd on his side. He looks decent in and around the box and Bradshaw will want to better last seasons healthy tally which i think he will.

Would be handy if got Stiles back or someone else of his ilk. Billy has another season under his belt and Saville will galvanise and lead from the front. Flemming is bedded in and will want to better last seasons exploits in front of goal. The defence will be stronger with Bryan in it. We have a strong bench too.

We'll be no pushover and look stronger for the new recruits and what ever else is to come in. Rowett is no mug and will want go one bettter than last season and push us on.

Less than a month to go now and i'm starting to get the feel for it again. It could be a very interesting season with some big games to look forward. Give me this league over the premier every time, proper clubs and proper passionate fans. There will be some bumper crowds and good away followings. We as a crowd thrive on that and that is transfered onto the pitch. My only prediction is somewhere in the top ten.

We fear no foe.
Agree, we have a very settled team at present, and in Bryan and Nisbet I really think we have added quality to the side; not signings to plug a gap or journeymen to fill space like so often before, but real quality players to compliment what we already have.

Also agree about the championship being preferable to the prem. I was looking at the table the other day and there are many really great, proper clubs in there. Something to look forward to.

I expect that we will be flirting with a play off spot, similar to last season.

I caveat that though with the fact that I think we definitely need a new keeper. For me Long made repeated errors in the run in last season that cost us goals. He either needs to improve or we need to replace.

Last edited:
Gut feel is that we’ve improved our team with Rab C and Bryan by some way. Don’t think we’ll get anyone else in unless Flem goes.

I’d be confident of a top 6 finish this season.

Gut feel is that we’ve improved our team with Rab C and Bryan by some way. Don’t think we’ll get anyone else in unless Flem goes.

I’d be confident of a top 6 finish this season.
All depends on suspensions, injuries, a lot of hard work and a fair bit of luck!

We did well with all of these last season, except on the injury front, where losing Cresswell when we did helped to implode our season!

Ideally, we need a couple more permanent signings and a few Prem loans in as cover if key players get injured or suspended this season!